2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Type R owners!

I got my type R today - what a car!? I was also told i dont need to run it in at all which i found hard to believe. Took most of the day steady but gave it the Lead boot now n then.

Im lucky in that Im fairly young to be able to drive this car (21).

My worst fault with it is that it requires so much self control. Im use to driving powerfulish 2.0-3.0 TDi diesels but this is another league.

By the time the vtec comes I feel like Im off to prison!

Im keeping to most B roads and motorway where speeding isnt as much of a problem.

Any tips as im a conciencious driver & want to keep my license

Maybe self control will Have to prevail & save my day?

Also How do I submit a photo of the car?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Welcome fellow young Type R driver!!

When i picked mine up i was reaaaallllyyy keen to give mine the boot, but i didnt. Didnt really take mine above 5k revs for the first 600 miles.

i picked mine up on the 5th jan and ive done just over 600 miles in the past 11 days. I definotly think it was worth while waiting until now to start really putting my foot down as i can feel the engine has freed up a bit. Even now im not caining it everywhere im still easing her in!

My best advice is read up on this forum for breaking in techniques (really helped me) and try not to take it much above 5k revs for the first 600 or so and drive everywhere every night to get it up to that magic 600. Dont want to ruin the experience when it only just started.

My advice for not losing your licence...... dont go above ther speed limit :D

In the gallery section there is a thread on how to post pics there.

Enjoy the car its FANTASTIC!!!!!

p.s what colour you got?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome to the Honda world lucky boy. I hope you enjoy every moment in it.

Wish to had my type-r at your age but i had to work hard until i could afford it ...and that took some years... ( good thing the new model came out :p )
Anyway, never is to late.

The other guys alrdy gave you some advices about running in, my personal opinion is about the same, what i see on my Type-r is that the more km i do the better it gets. I have 5500km atm and the car feels way different than the 1st 1000km, i read that it needs 10k km to get the best of it.

About driving advice, i will just tell you dont try to see what the limits are, have self control (OMG 21yrs FFS :p ), and never ever drink and drive..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx4 advice

Welcome to the Honda world lucky boy. I hope you enjoy every moment in it.

Wish to had my type-r at your age but i had to work hard until i could afford it ...and that took some years... ( good thing the new model came out :p )
Anyway, never is to late.

The other guys alrdy gave you some advices about running in, my personal opinion is about the same, what i see on my Type-r is that the more km i do the better it gets. I have 5500km atm and the car feels way different than the 1st 1000km, i read that it needs 10k km to get the best of it.

About driving advice, i will just tell you dont try to see what the limits are, have self control (OMG 21yrs FFS :p ), and never ever drink and drive..
Yea I know Im lucky.Thx for the advice Its not like im gona drive 146 everywhere drunk that im struggling to resist . Its jus things like accelerating to what i expect is 30 is actually 55! Need to adjust as i keep creepin to 40 in 30s etc

Plus Iv noticed the engine seems to hav a slight dip around 4000 -5000 revs does that dissappear a little as you run it in?

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
My advice for not losing your licence...... dont go above ther speed limit :D
Hi and welcome to civinfo. Have patience with the CTR and run it in. There's plenty of reading on the subject on here. It seems to be general opinion that one of the benefits if you run it in, is you will use less oil in the time you own it.

Mine's done 1200 miles now and the engine is starting to free off nicely. :D

The best advice though is from lazytrev, and in the above quote. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea I suppose thats it really. Suppose you cant get done for accelerating hard to the speed limit right? Or is that be considered dangerous driving?

Yea im gonna warm the engine first & then keep it below 5K revs for first 500. I just want to drive it all night & day. Did 100 miles today, not bad considiering dealer is about 10 miles round trip.

Does anyone else get out of the car with a feeling guilty(might just be that im excited from drving such a monsta?) Even when you havnt been speeding? I get it just for accelerating! I know it sounds like im being a pube but its really annoying me!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You don't need to run it in...Just don't drive it at the same speed to long for the first couple of 100 miles(cruise control etc.). You can go to vtec but don't do it often. More important is to run in the brakes so for first 200 miles take it easy on the brakes ;)

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I gave mine 300 miles before the Vtec light came on

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 2 - 200 miles. Just had a great drive over the hills. Car is feeling better every mile. I really wasnt use to petrol cars let alone one of this nature but now im adjusted. Still protecting the vtec although I did see 7000 revs once oops!

Its much better driving in national speed limit areas as the car can breath abit. 30, 40 limits u jus have to chill.

No problems so far,tough ride but i like that & the handling justifys it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i didnt enter the vtec till about 500 miles and then it was only to about 6k, only now she has 700+ have i put her up to 7kish a few times but you could count that on my hands.

Its such a nice car to drive even sedately.

During the first 500 was lots of acceleration up to 5k and then slowing down under its own steam, on nice bendy twisty b roads :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well my Vtec light was on about a mile away from the dealer's after I picked mine up and no problems at all, used a litre of oil after the first 7000 miles but havent put in a drop since, it was serviced at 14000 ( I know went a bit over but didnt have the time) and now done 17500 and drives and sounds great, so running in is up to the individual I guess

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
yea I suppose thats it really. Suppose you cant get done for accelerating hard to the speed limit right? Or is that be considered dangerous driving?

Yea im gonna warm the engine first & then keep it below 5K revs for first 500. I just want to drive it all night & day. Did 100 miles today, not bad considiering dealer is about 10 miles round trip.

Does anyone else get out of the car with a feeling guilty(might just be that im excited from drving such a monsta?) Even when you havnt been speeding? I get it just for accelerating! I know it sounds like im being a pube but its really annoying me!
Nope its not guilt it has to be excitement. Its that kind of car.
The car just wants to be revved. There is no law against accelerating hard (conditions permitting ;)) .......... up to the speed limit ;) Its the best feeling and sound.
Just enjoy it. Wish i'd had an R when i was 21.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts