2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Winter is coming so a new set of alloys and tyres is needed cause I think I'll be skiing if I buy 18" winter tyres... Or won't? What do you think? To go for 18" winter tyres or 16"-17" alloys and winter tyres...The price of 18" winter tyres and the set of 16"-17 " with winter tyres is about the same where I live...
And what's the smallest size of alloys with tyres that fits CTR? Will 16" fit and in which dimension or I'll have to go with 17" and in which dimension?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi!

I will hopefully get my new Bronze CTR GT within a week! We do get our fair share of snow here in Sweden. ;) I have made some investigation on winter tires and I would like to share it with you.

The following information is stated in the pappers of the car (translated). I don't know if this only applies to Sweden, but I guess if it fits here it should be fine for you as well:

Tire and wheel dimension Front 225/40R18 88 Y / 18 X 7 1/2J 55
Tire and wheel dimension Rear 225/40R18 88 Y / 18 X 7 1/2J 55
Alternative tire dimension 205/55R16 91V 225/35R19 88Y
Alternative wheel dimension 16 x 6 1/2JJ 18 x 7 1/2JJ 19 x 7 1/2J

I.e. 16", 18" and 19" are the official sizes according to the papers.

The Honda retailers in Sweden suggests 205/55R16 for winter tires. I know that one of the 16" alloys they are offering is an Enzo H (catalog name ehz045). Note that the ET/offset of the wheel is important. The Enzo H has ET 45, although there is some discussion about what is OK to use. The original 18" wheels has ET 55 on the Type R. The laws and regulations might differ between different countries. The ET shouldn't change too much. Search the forum for existing discussions.

I will buy 16" Ace Caipirinha alloys with ET 45. It remains to see if they fit! ;)

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Here in Switzerland the dealer also recommended the 16".
I got a set of 16" rims with Pirelli Winter 205/55/R16s for the same price as another set of 18" Honda rims minus tyres.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Some of our Norwiegan friends are running winter tyres on the original R rims!

But I have also heard the 16" recommendation for the whole range, R and non-R.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have recently bought a set of 16" Light alloy wheels and Yokohama W drive winter tyres for my Type R, got them from the local Honda dealership, was looking at 18 " tyres but I also need to go to the Alps for some skiing this winter, and may need to use chains, and I don't think you can do that with the 18" wheel and tyre combination?

The winter tyres seem to be very good, the car still holds the road exceptionally well, and if anything, and it has been mentioned on here before it seems to be a little quicker?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts