2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sunroof / glass roof is not currently an option for the type R. I would have liked the benefit of a lighter cabin myself.

I was wondering how many other people would have gone for this option had it been available.

The Type S pictures give an idea of what it would look like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if it is to do with reducing body flex in the R?
I think you may be right, but having said that the roof metal on the type R is very thin anyway.

If VW can fit a sunroof to a golf Gti , I am sure honda can fit one to the type R.

Do you think the sun roof on your car was worth the extra cost ?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I think you may be right, but having said that the roof metal on the type R is very thin anyway.

If VW can fit a sunroof to a golf Gti , I am sure honda can fit one to the type R.

Do you think the sun roof on your car was worth the extra cost ?
Yes it was worth it.

Here the "Executive package" includes the glass roof, sat nav, blue tooth etc, so it is not available as a single line item just as part of that package.

Also, I think there at least at one point was a 911 with glass roof.. not sure if they fitted any extra strengthening to that though (like they do with convertibles).

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
probably another one of Honda's 'interesting' marketing choices - like deciding to remove the rear centre seatbelt to make the R more 'sporty'... :(

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Yep, really like the glass roof in my Type S (silver car picture above ;))

On the Type S, the GT package (for me) was a no-brainer - combination of glass roof, front fogs, cruise, dual zone climate, folding mirrors & auto lights & wipers was definitely worth the extra. If I remember correctly, the Type R GT has all these, with the exception of the glass roof, and I'm surprised it doesn't get the glass roof (even as an option.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love the glass roof in my type-s

The only problem that i have with it is, will it shatter in an accident?

On 5th gear a while back they smashed a nissan or some thing like that and it had a glass roof and it just shattered

does any one know if there crash tested?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Doesnt make sense not to include it does it? It might just come to down to trying to keep a line between the different models available. Perhaps they felt that with it, it would be too similar to the Type-S, just different engine / body kit??

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the glass roof in my type-s

The only problem that i have with it is, will it shatter in an accident?

On 5th gear a while back they smashed a nissan or some thing like that and it had a glass roof and it just shattered

does any one know if there crash tested?

I don't think the steel roof would give much more protection - it is incredibly thin metal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also, I think there at least at one point was a 911 with glass roof.. not sure if they fitted any extra strengthening to that though (like they do with convertibles).
Yes correct, Porsche have produced a sliding glass roof "Targa" since 1995 (993 model :cool:, miss mine) and upto the current 997 model.

They are based on the Convertible body shell so have additional strengthening in the sills etc.

John

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I agree, that was apart from the lack of an extra rear belt and obvious increase in nickability, the only other reason why the type R got a big X against it, I like the glass roof immensly, especially at night for some reason [possibly because it feels more like a jet fighter cockpit!? ;)].

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
like previously mentioned I would imagine it is more to do with strucutral rigidity. Remember that the Type R has extra bracing on the bottom of the car near the fuel tank to make it more rigid. Although I agree that the roof skin is thin, what you can't see is any strucutural members that run underneath that skin. Perhaps installing a panoramic roof would require removal of some of these items and affect the overall stiffness of the chassis/handling.

Just my 2p...

·
Registered
336 Posts
like previously mentioned I would imagine it is more to do with strucutral rigidity. Remember that the Type R has extra bracing on the bottom of the car near the fuel tank to make it more rigid. Although I agree that the roof skin is thin, what you can't see is any strucutural members that run underneath that skin. Perhaps installing a panoramic roof would require removal of some of these items and affect the overall stiffness of the chassis/handling.

Just my 2p...
Remember that the glass roof is actually two separate sections when viewed from inside the car. I suspect there is a cross member in the roof that you can't see from outside.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Think you'll also find it's a weight issue. That glass room is very heavy and the thin bit of tin is not - I recall the saving was soemthign like 30kg. But also it's torsional rigidity. The Glass roof is 'glued' on compared to a welded tin roof. This has a significant effect on the rigidity of the shell. The roof may be thin but so is a sheet of paper. However pull it corner to corner it's very strong.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Remember that the glass roof is actually two separate sections when viewed from inside the car. I suspect there is a cross member in the roof that you can't see from outside.
Although there is a bar across the middle of the headlining there isn't a structural beam across under the glass (You can put your hand through the space between the rollers and the glass) - the glass is in one piece.

Not sure how much rigidity the central beam contributes - only seems to be there to hold up the rollers for the blind mechanism. I don't think it is structural (but this is just a guess.:oops:)

Could well be a weight issue in the case of the Type R, and a having more weight high up would raise the centre of gravity a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, that was apart from the lack of an extra rear belt and obvious increase in nickability, the only other reason why the type R got a big X against it, I like the glass roof immensly, especially at night for some reason [possibly because it feels more like a jet fighter cockpit!? ;)].

Tom
I had a sit in a Type S GT and loved the airy feel the glass roof gave. However an extra 30 kg is a fair bit of extra weight, especially high up where it is the worst place for Cof G, as others say.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Only my personal thoughts of course, but I really like my glass roof, as it certainly does make the cabin more light and airy.
Plenty of them around now, with most makes of car, so can't imagine that they have not given thought to a roll over.
It's all in one piece, as pjr's post.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Had mine round a tight bend at 40 and havn't noticed much difference (although it did scare the dealer sitting next to me ;)).

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

As PJR says , it doesn't look like there is a cross member - see picture below:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts