2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I (breifly) bought this up in another post, but thought it'd be worthwhile giving it its own thread. This link to the Belfast Telegraph's review of the FN2 Road Test: Honda Civic Type-R 07 - Carfinder - Belfast Telegraph talks about the various suspension settings of the early cars.

Does anyone know anything about this? Its got me thinking over the past few days as to whether any production line cars had ultra rock hard suspension (rather than just a bit firm) and if Honda have sneakily re-tuned the suspension settings during the first model year run?

It's just that some people moan about the unbearable ride, whereas I find it reasonably compliant - as much as I'd expect in a sports car (and that is driving over some of London's worst roads)...

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Its a lot better than my old Cooper S with runflats

·
i-VTEC Junkie
183 Posts
The car that Clarkson used is not one of the originals, as it's the long termer car from the magazine, and they only keep em 12 months (afaik).

But yeah, could be the reason he was complaining.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car that Clarkson used is not one of the originals, as it's the long termer car from the magazine, and they only keep em 12 months (afaik).

But yeah, could be the reason he was complaining.
Yep, that's right. However, his TV review was the same as his Times review (which I assume he didn't want to stray away from to save face), which in turn was based on a very early car... Anyway, not going down the Clarkson discussion route again! ;)

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Yep, that's right. However, his TV review was the same as his Times review (which I assume he didn't want to stray away from to save face), which in turn was based on a very early car... Anyway, not going down the Clarkson discussion route again! ;)
As you say we don't want to dredge it all up again, but I agree, his original review in The Times was written in March last year so it would have been in a very early car.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I too find the ride acceptable, I don't really know what all the fuss about the firmness of the ride is about. :confused:
I totally agree. Also another improvement over the EP3. Now that certainly was a hard ride!

IMO its only slightly worse than a 5 series on runflats!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
The ride is OK for me comfort wise and the car handles well on smooth roads. However it could be better IMO, as it gets too bouncy on a bumpy road. Difficult to describe , but bouncy is different from firm - oversprung?

I think the accountants had too much to say when they selected the shocks for the CTR, either that or they set it up for roads that are far smoother than what I am used to. It is possible to get a good ride with good handling on a performance car. The best modern example is the Audi R8.

·
Banned
165 Posts
The ride is OK for me comfort wise and the car handles well on smooth roads. However it could be better IMO, as it gets too bouncy on a bumpy road. Difficult to describe , but bouncy is different from firm - oversprung?
/
Done 170 miles today on the motorway and I know exactly what you mean about the bouncy ride..I wish the shocks were better than this. On an uneven motorway stretch..it's bouncing up and down..Aragh!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done 170 miles today on the motorway and I know exactly what you mean about the bouncy ride..I wish the shocks were better than this. On an uneven motorway stretch..it's bouncing up and down..Aragh!
So do you have an earlier car, MoMatic? Still trying to work out if the suspension tuning has been changed during the year...

·
i-VTEC Junkie
183 Posts
I drove an early 07 car and mine (an 08) around donnington, and there was definetly a difference in turn in sharpness and the amount of understeer.

Bu hey, the 07 is an 07 car, and has older shocks/tyres

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
I love the firm ride in my CTR. The seats are the best and most comfortable i have ever had to sit in. :)

I have had a long term back problem that i have treatment for, on a regular basis. What is all the fuss about. :confused:

I admit it bounces a bit when going through town and pot holes, etc. but when you speed up it tends to be a smoother ride. Don't forget it's a sports car :p

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Ordered mine in May '07. The car I test drove ( I assume it was an early car) didn't have as firm suspension as mine, which was the first thing I noticed when driving away from the dealers when I picked it up on 1st sep. The vast majority of the time it's fine, but there are a few places that the suspension does my head in. Unfortunately they just around the corner from my house, on the way to and from work, and on the way to my Honda dealer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ordered mine in May '07. The car I test drove ( I assume it was an early car) didn't have as firm suspension as mine, which was the first thing I noticed when driving away from the dealers when I picked it up on 1st sep. The vast majority of the time it's fine, but there are a few places that the suspension does my head in. Unfortunately they just around the corner from my house, on the way to and from work, and on the way to my Honda dealer.
Its strange that you say that as I was also thinking that the test car I drove had more supple suspension (it also had the 19" Rages - and mine's got the standard 18" wheels).

I wonder whether the dealership tinkered with the suspension settings on the test car to make it softer?

I find the ride OK some days but other days it feels like I'm driving with square wheels! Its fine on good roads - but with councils failing to repair and maintain the roads correctly these days, good roads are becoming hard to find.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I ordered mine on May as well, took delivery 2nd week in September.
I noticed the suspension on my CTR is a bit more firmer than the demo i drove, (Bronze R-00040 56 reg with i think about 6000 miles on the clock)

My R has only 1900 miles on the clock, i assume by the time it reaches 6000 miles the suspension should have freed off a fare bit;)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I ordered mine on May as well, took delivery 2nd week in September.
I noticed the suspension on my CTR is a bit more firmer than the demo i drove, (Bronze R-00040 56 reg with i think about 6000 miles on the clock)

My R has only 1900 miles on the clock, i assume by the time it reaches 6000 miles the suspension should have freed off a fare bit;)

Mines done 7000 miles now and the suspension does seem better. Not sure if it is actually getting better or me just getting used to it. Like spiersy its only certain roads that it lets me down on, namely the bumpy B roads where I back off.

The engine is definetly much much better - loosening up nicely.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder whether the dealership tinkered with the suspension settings on the test car to make it softer?

I find the ride OK some days but other days it feels like I'm driving with square wheels! Its fine on good roads - but with councils failing to repair and maintain the roads correctly these days, good roads are becoming hard to find.
Some compulsive evidence... I'm seriously beginning to think that there are several different sets of CTR suspension tuning out there - I wonder if its done at the dealers, or something they are continuously playing about with at the factory?

Ha, very true! Good roads no longer exist as far as I'm concerned. However, the local council are always replacing the pavements!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts