2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Type R Tuning NA Vs Turbo conversion

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  DPG87 
#1 ·
Since the disappointment of the 9G Type R I've decided to keep the 8G and spend the difference on tuning it.

I've already decided on Tein with the EDFC, Stoptech and a few other things but I'm stuck with the engine.

I've been talking to TDI about a turbo conversion and it seems the best value way of getting a significant power increase however I'm torn as I can't make up my mind.

My dilemma is that it's basically going to completely change the way the car drives and that's going to change the feel of the car. I know I won't get as much power by spending the same money in NA tuning the engine but I think that might stay more truer to the type of the car?

Have any people got experience of NA tuning Vs Turbo in particular the driving, I'm not so bothered about figures if that makes sense

#2 ·
if youve got 35k to spare no offence why not buy another car

I understand the love for the car and all that but the fact its cash youd never ever get back screams why bother to me

isnt 35k borderline Decent m3 money??

I know where my money would be headed sorry its kinda gone straight of topic just thought id put that into the mixer as well :)

Tim

#3 ·
I've considered that as well. I'm not planning to spend £35k on the car though, I think for less than half that I can get a very strong car.

You can pick up a decent M3 for £25k easily. It just doesn't interest me. I was also thinking about getting a Golf R but that doesn't excite me either. They'd be great cars but not what I like.

The car I have at the moment is immaculate. It's a 2011 and in pristine condition. Other than the fact it's a bit slow it's actually a great car.

#4 ·
I had an Ep3 a few years back. In between that I had various turbo charged cars, going back to N/A has been a no brainer for me. The engines in the other cars didn't have the drama of the k20. Now, a turbocharged k20 might be interesting. How about supercharged? I've driven a 325 bhp charged Aerial Atom, that had character :D

#5 ·
If you're happy with every other aspect of your FN2 and still enjoy driving it, then a tdi north turbo conversion is a compromise IMO... I mean it's still far cheaper than buying a brand new one! It's kind of the decision I made, except i've bought a supercharger kit for mine.

I'm not sure how fast you were considering with an NA setup... 260-270bhp is not hugely expensive but if you want K24/300BHP then I believe it's much much more and into turbo territory as far as the price is concerned. Whilst 270bhp would be fun, personally I feel it would be too slow once i'm used to it.
Rotrex supercharging can get up to 400bhp with virtually the same power delivery as NA, so if that's truly what you want to maintain then that may be perfect for you. I have an aftercooled CT charger which, whilst somewhat linear power, it offers a lot more low down and mid range power/torque which is what I wanted personally. And there's the charger whine which was a big factor for me.
If you did go with the tdi north turbo kit, obviously the power delivery would be completely different, but in a good way. I cannot speak from experience but I really believe you'd be more than pleased with it, as it would be ridiculously fast and with boost by gear, very good drivability. If you sell up in a few years then you can expect to get 2-3 grand for the turbo kit second hand.

As you said, few cars can offer the same exicitement and value for money as an 8G type R so I can totally see where you're coming from

#7 ·
Cant go wrong with a tdi north kit buddy. I had one but never fitted it :/ A friend now has it running at 400 horses and he is over the moon with it! Ive been out in it and it really does put the power down well. Turbo lag isn't noticeable at all as well! Saying that it is the older precision turbo over the new garret ones being used, which are apparently a little more mellow... If you can describe that sort of power melow! As a recommendation id look at changing the final drive to the longer ep3 one to help with traction. Also something mentioned to me was changing out the standard lsd you have fitted now for an aftermarket one.

Reliability wise the engines are safe to run 400 all day long and tdi would not run them at that power if it wasn't.

Im in a similar situation though to you now, high'ish end n/a build or turbo! If I were have a chat to some guys on here see if you can get a ride out in an existing turbo car, and then compare it to a high end n/a build. Thats best way to decide in my opinion mate [emoji106]

#8 ·
I think the problem with your question is that it's a question most people will ask themselves and others but very rarely will you get someone who has went absolutely mental NA and then went for a turbo or supercharger as if you have went full NA, most parts wouldn't work as well with a forced induction set up, big cams, shorter final drive etc etc fantastic NA, but they don't really suit a turbo build as well

I'm building a K24/K20 frank just now, I guess I've made my choice...

#10 ·
Everyone has their personal preference and budget. Good luck with whatever route you take

Lot of people dont factor altering chassis or way car puts power down with big power and is a big cost itself.

There are companies out there that will get you 300bhp na from a k20 keepin 2000c or little more by stroking with near factory reliability/longevity but costly and can count them companies in a couple of fingers.

I love na builds but ultimately to get big power to compete with silly powered cars that come from factory now boost is required

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies

I'm very interested to here more about the hybrid K24. That sounds very interesting.

With regard to buying another already modified car, that doesn't appeal at all despite obviously being cheapest. It wouldn't be my car though, it wouldn't feel right. I realise that's completely irrational

#14 ·
Im in a similiar boat, albiet whether to trade mines for a modified n/a or supercharged fn2.
Still like the looks and mostly evertything about the civic, bar the poor paint, but just want a bit more power.
Looked at alot of cars to swap to but have found most cars to be boring in comparison which makes a tuned type r the obvious choice. Either that or a dc5 :confused:

#19 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

This is what the engine bay looks like when finished. I have a milltek exhaust and it is relatively quiet for the day to day stuff, the only thing I find a bit annoying is the clutch, you have to rev it a bit to get going, otherwise the whole car just jerks, not too bad though, as soon as you pull away it feels the same. Fuel gauge will not work properly with the turbo conversion, but it settles after a while, you sort of find the new empty, for the first few weeks just fill up every 200 miles. Uses a bit of oil every few thousand miles, within normal consumption. Daily commute is definitely more economical than when I was NA tuned, I don't have to rev as high to get up to speed, overtake can be done very easily even before vtec, just a quicker fn2 when driving normally. That's about it with the day to day stuff.
of course if you are in the mood for it, it is properly FAST!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.