1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what tyre pressures people use for :

1 18" Standard Wheels F/R :?:

2 19" Rage Wheels F/R :?:

How accurate were the tyre pressures when you picked your car up from new ? - mine were over inflated.

I couldn't find anything on recommended pressures in the manual, only a text expalining why they must be checked when cold etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just wondering what tyre pressures people use for :

1 18" Standard Wheels F/R :?:

2 19" Rage Wheels F/R :?:

How accurate were the tyre pressures when you picked your car up from new ? - mine were over inflated.

I couldn't find anything on recommended pressures in the manual, only a text expalining why they must be checked when cold etc.
It is written on the car...when you open drivers doors there is a little sign next above doorstep garnish.
for 18" is 2.4 front, 2.2 back.

I inflate mine 2.7 front, 2.5 back because for low profile tyres anything below 2.5 is killing the alloys especially when you have low quality roads with lots of bumps, holes, patches...

·
Registered
192 Posts
You might get better results in handling by visiting CLCM in Edinburgh, took mine in when 2 weeks old, and the geometry was neeeding adjusted.

I noticed the improvement immediately

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That doesnt sound right to me, the sticker on mine suggests slightly higher. Mine says 35 front and 32 rear, and that probably just for normal loads ( passenger, couple bags)
I have been running 35 front and back. I was a bit taken aback when I saw the sticker - hence the question !! Hopefully your sticker is correct and mine is wrong or I will have a centre wear pattern on the tyres.

I tried it at 30psi today and the ride felt softer. A lot of heavy rain / flooded roads today so difficult to judge the effect on handling

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was a bit taken aback when I saw the sticker - hence the question !! Hopefully your sticker is correct and mine is wrong or I will have a centre wear pattern on the tyres.
The sticker should mention tyre size as well. If it mentions of 16" or 17" size, you have a wrong sticker on your type R.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like I have the wrong sticker - see photo which shows R16 wheel:

What sticker do other type R owners have ? may be worth setting up a survey to see if anyone else has the wrong sticker.

Can someone post a picture of the sticker with the 35f 32r pressure on it - thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Munro.
I remember asking a similar question soon after I bought mine as the pressures were odd and not what I expected.

The sticker is on the drivers door sill but facing backwards.

Clearly shows three different tyres/wheels, but the same pressure for all....

225/55R 16 91V
225/40ZR 18 88Y
225/40R 18 88Y

Pressures are 2.4 [35] Front and 2.2 [32] Rear.

I have the standard 18" wheels and run them with pressures as above.

Quite happy with ride / comfort / handling and average about 28mpg as a rule.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Looks like I have the wrong sticker

I´d like to see the look on your dealers face when you claim this manufacturing defect under warranty!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I´d like to see the look on your dealers face when you claim this manufacturing defect under warranty!
Its good to see the funny side :D. I was lucky in that I was following what I had heard elsewhere and my tyre pressures were not too far out.

There may be other CTRs with the wrong sticker, and they may therefore be under inflating their tyres. This could lead to dodgy handling, tyres wearing out quickly and even over heating.

Perhaps J Clarkson tested one with a dodgy sticker and under inflated tyres !

I am amazed that such a mistake could be made, and not very impressed.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Here is the sticker that I have in my CTR which is running on the standard 18" wheels and 225/40 r18 tyres.

They did get a little low in pressure a few weeks a go (around 30-31 on the front with the rears at about the same), although when inflated to the correct pressure the handling did not change that much (although as you would expect it did improve) what was greatly affected was my fuel economy, which improved a lot at the correct pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the sticker that I have in my CTR which is running on the standard 18" wheels and 225/40 r18 tyres.

They did get a little low in pressure a few weeks a go (around 30-31 on the front with the rears at about the same), although when inflated to the correct pressure the handling did not change that much (although as you would expect it did improve) what was greatly affected was my fuel economy, which improved a lot at the correct pressure.
Thanks Jabberwocky

I tried running at 30 psi today, and my fuel consumption was lower than normal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My type R says 35 front , 32 rear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I gave my a quick pump up on saturday. I have the Rages (19") and I think the sticker said 25 front and 28 rear (psi). Doing this from memory, but one of the pressures had a 8 in it. Ride is a lot more solid now, but the grip during a quick blast yesterday was phenomonal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Beef for dinner what tyres do the rage alloys come with? My 18" (which solidfy the ride enough for me) use Bridgestone rosso.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I gave my a quick pump up on saturday. I have the Rages (19") and I think the sticker said 25 front and 28 rear (psi). Doing this from memory, but one of the pressures had a 8 in it. Ride is a lot more solid now, but the grip during a quick blast yesterday was phenomonal.
Are you sure? 25psi front and 28psi rear are too low for 19".

1 - 20 of 35 Posts