2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well last night my cousin got a Fabia vRS with DSG on a 24 hour test drive so was only fair that we had some fun.

So the Fabia vRS....

Interior - This was by no means a spec'd up model, didnt have the touch screen media centre radio/nav/bluetooth, no auto wipers, lights or climate control. Very bland and dark. Roof is far to high, could have played volley ball in there!!

Exterior
White paint, white roof, black wheels and black trim. Looked OK but its far to high!

Handling
It cornered ok, really missed the diff in the bends and too much body roll. Was a comfortable car, much more than my R.

Driving
My word that DSG gearbox is good!! 7 speed, short ratios, put a nice big grin on my face! Up changes have a slight delay but down shifts are not great at all, very slow for the revs to get where they should be.

Engine
Outstanding. 1.4 Super and Turbo charged. Zero lag, mountains of torque, pulled like a train. I went from 30 up too 100 is seconds. 100mph is the limit in fourth, flick the pedal too 5th and it died, nothing left in it, its like it literally hit a wall.

After driving this car for a hour or so in a spirited fashion (Private roads) I knew my R was gonna have a tough job keeping up with this wee pup but hey, what the hell, BRING IT ON!

Round 1
Straight up drag race. R definitely gets better starts, I pulled a good length on him, up through 1st and 2nd didn't see him, as i changed into 3rd he shot passed me.

Round 2
I knew i could launch better than him but needed to kill the wheel spin and keep the traction down, queue quick burn out. Rolled up again...and launched, pulled a length and a half on him, 1st, 2nd nothing into 3rd....3rd....got 3rd....totally fudged it....

Anyway pulled up and had a quick discussion. He told me he wasn't gaining on me until i dropped off, also he was in full auto both runs. Im also 110% sure that over 100mph the R would have it but a long way

Not happy with my driving I phoned Mr. Stoney and they went at it.

Round 1
Stoney's R couldn't get traction and spun the power away through 1st and 2nd, Fabia took it

Round 2
R got good traction but hit limiter in 1st and 2nd, Fabia took it

Round 3
Quick burn out and the AD08's were ready, off the line they went, R got awesome launch, perfect gear changes and wiped the Fabia clean.

My Conclusion

The Fabia vRS is a brilliant car, good engine, fantastic gearbox and good chassis. Its not without its niggles though. Its just another point and shoot car, cornering is not great with the ride height and the high roof it doesn't inspire confidence like the R's. Whilst theres no doubt it will upset alot of R drivers and it takes a modded R to comprehensively beat it I still wouldn't part with my hard earned. Some may well say 'Well off course your gonna say that considering your on a Type R forum' but I honestly believe its not a drivers car, theres no real driver interaction, theres no fun in feeding it gears, just flicking pedals, the gearbox is doing the work the driver just keep his/her foot planted....boring almost.

Sorry I have no pictures or videos so show you but Google Images and YouTube are your friend here!!

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
is your R standard?

I'm sure if you went into 4th the R would have bellowed away!

Does sound like anice car though :D

whats the difference between a Skoda and a Tampon???

"The tampon comes with it's own tow rope"

mwa ha ha !

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is your R standard?

I'm sure if you went into 4th the R would have bellowed away!

Does sound like anice car though :D

whats the difference between a Skoda and a Tampon???

"The tampon comes with it's own tow rope"

mwa ha ha !
Just a smoothed airbox buddy

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the ride height sorted and a cheeky remap and i think its a weapon

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Agreed, but still a point and shot, not great in corners and theres not nothing like feeding the car gears, flicking the pedal just doesn't do it.

As said its a brilliant car but hitting the clutch and feeding it **** loads is where its at

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
my sis owns one, they are quick little things and its a hundred times better since she slammed it on jom coilovers.
however, it uses oil. a fair bit and even though its only covered a few thousand miles, its new engine time.
her engine code are a regular replacement under warrenty with skoda.
i would have still thought i could outrun her in the ctr though,
n/a ftw

·
UKDM
779 Posts
Its the dsg boxes that make these little things so quick in a straight line, they really do punch above their weight as every change is perfect and done for you.

But where's the fun in driving something in a straight line when you just put your foot down and steer?!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I often have to listen to a chap at a partner company telling me how amazing the twin charged 1.4 and DSG is on his Ibiza Cupra.

This is a guy that thinks launching a WRX is hard, so a perfect car for him really.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts