2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hay guys and girls

Now i have a 1.4 type S had it from new 17k and a 11plate now i love the car but lacking abit and changing gear all the time haha but wondering do i upgrade to a type R same colour that cost 15k and has only 8k on the clock and is also a 11plate ive had a cheecky little payrise at work but also trying to save for a house.Now my thought is once i get a house i wont be able to treat myself so do i treat myself before i get the house or get the house and wait for a few years until i can treat myself again hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm

cheers:D

·
Geek :)
362 Posts
Go for an oil burner. Far better than those R things that I keep passing all the time at the petrol station.
But I'd say save for the house because you'll spend more time in the house than the car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Save for the house. I sold a three year old MkIV Cortina 2:0 S to get myself on the property ladder when I was 21, a good few years ago. Only last year did I feel the time had come to treat myself.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Save, as the R is obsolete, as in out of production, buy now and you will feel you have an old car very soon.

Cars are a pit of money, sorting a house is far better, your time will come :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
You'dd be surprised how quickly funds recover after purchasing a house, I sold my precious 206 gti to give the deposit a final boost so ran a crappy golf gti for 16 months tried modding it a bit but you can't polish a turd, gutted the house and bought my civic within 16 months this was back in 2006 though

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VERY suprised with this result thanks guys have given me alot to think about expected you all to say buy the car but makes sense getting on the property ladder and then treat myself to a even better car (if that will excist after the house for a year or so haha) yeah i know the car will be a little old and its obsolete but the new 1 isnt going to have anything on this one.
Unfortunatly i havent found anywhere that mods a 1.4 kinda gutted on that 1 : (

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
Get the R ........... surely your first house won't cost that much, my first house cost 3 grand less than my current car did new ............

I'm probably not the best person to give you advise

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
i was in your exact same position...........i decided to opt for the R:p

so far i havent regretted it, my outlook was i might not get the chance again

·
World Traveller
1,814 Posts
If personally go for the fn2... But out of interest you say changing gear all the time but the 1.4 will sit just below 60mph in 2nd? Seems to have similar gears to the type r. Having driven both I don't find much difference tbh.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAHA COMPLETLY ON THE FLIP SIDE I LIKE IT

i do think i wont have the chance again so why not and i defently dont want to paying the crazy prices when the new type R comes out in the next few years.
60mph in 2nd gear yes but dont you think that when going up hills and through country roads it seems like you always have you hand on the gear stick all the time to get the most power to the wheels??
don't get me wrong ive never driven a type R so dont know if it will be similar but just thought common sense would say it would being a bigger faster engine.

·
World Traveller
1,814 Posts
HAHA COMPLETLY ON THE FLIP SIDE I LIKE IT

i do think i wont have the chance again so why not and i defently dont want to paying the crazy prices when the new type R comes out in the next few years.
60mph in 2nd gear yes but dont you think that when going up hills and through country roads it seems like you always have you hand on the gear stick all the time to get the most power to the wheels??
don't get me wrong ive never driven a type R so dont know if it will be similar but just thought common sense would say it would being a bigger faster engine.
Yeah I suppose, I just keep it in as low as gear as possible, only have to use 2nd or 3rd.

But yes, going down the same roads in a type r and you could just leave it in 3rd as you have the power ect there.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to take 1 for a test this weekend and see where we go from there.
Steve-o very nice car had some work done havent you looking sweet in that colour aswell

·
World Traveller
1,814 Posts
Going to take 1 for a test this weekend and see where we go from there.
Steve-o very nice car had some work done havent you looking sweet in that colour aswell
Thanks mate, yeah had a fair bit of time and effort put into it! Appreciate it mate.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Most sensible and realistically the most obvious, would be to save for a house. Cars can come and go, but a deposit on a house can take ages to save for. You never know, your circumstance may change buy the time you've bought your house. However, I can see your dilemma. I'm like a little kid when it gets to gadgets and so on.

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
Buy the R, have some fun, you can always sell it to put towards a house later on :)

Type R for the grin :D

Sent via NecronomiPhon

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
This is exactly the same position I was in. Iv decided to choose the R as I don't do many miles and can also afford to save while I enjoy the ride ;)

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks mate, yeah had a fair bit of time and effort put into it! Appreciate it mate.
Well it defently shows never really seen many that colour but yours is top banana
H.A.T tell me about it i dont do many miles but wonder how much extra fuel i will be using usally get around 35 mpg on my 1.4 with my twitchy right foot haha

1 - 20 of 48 Posts