2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas.

I was wondering if anyone has fitted 17" Type S alloys onto the 1.4" SI, currently has the Grey 16" 5 spokes. Or perhaps someone has a suggestion for a different supplier of alloys? Looking to do it on a budget of course;)

I like the current wheels but i think the car would look so much better with 17 alloys:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi,

I fitted Honda Altimo 18" alloys to my car. It made the car accelerate a bit slower but worked fine. The car held speed better also due to the weight of the wheels.

Being honest, I prefer driving on the 16" over the 18". However the 18" look much better.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that Ricky

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Was looking at doing this myself but with the 17 storm alloys. Don't really want to lose the acceleration but the 18's do look better.

·
Go with the Flo...
1,139 Posts
Going from 16'' to 18'' isnt even going to make a difference so 17's will be fine.
mine had 16's on when i got it, i changed for Type-R 18's and they were overall SMALLER than the 16's with those huge tyres!
when you go up in wheel size you have a smaller tyre so its swings and roundabouts.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Going from 16'' to 18'' isnt even going to make a difference so 17's will be fine.
mine had 16's on when i got it, i changed for Type-R 18's and they were overall SMALLER than the 16's with those huge tyres!
when you go up in wheel size you have a smaller tyre so its swings and roundabouts.
Only answer would be to get the car lowered and it would be noticed more!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
Was looking at doing this myself but with the 17 storm alloys. Don't really want to lose the acceleration but the 18's do look better.
You shouldn't loose any acceleration, the rolling radius of the wheel will be the same as the alloy wheel gets bigger but the tire profile (sidewall) will get smaller so overall the size of wheel+tyre will be the pretty much the same.

·
'Spoon' fed
445 Posts
Hi Fellas.

I was wondering if anyone has fitted 17" Type S alloys onto the 1.4" SI, currently has the Grey 16" 5 spokes. Or perhaps someone has a suggestion for a different supplier of alloys? Looking to do it on a budget of course;)

I like the current wheels but i think the car would look so much better with 17 alloys:)
I have a nice set of 17" Type S wheels for sale if you interested?

Jason ;)

Reactions: Jonny 43

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
i have a set of mint condition 18" type r wheels for sale which could be a good start!! my first mod was colour coding then changing the wheels. that changed the look of the car a lot well worth mods

Hi Fellas.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the kind offer Regan....but 18's are a wee bit too large for me, especially when it comes to replacing tyres due to the terrible state of the roads in Aberdeen! I hope you sell them :)

Reactions: regan1985

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
i have a set of mint condition 18" type r wheels for sale
How much you selling them for? Take it they would go straight onto my car without a problem? Since people have mixed views on if it affects acceleration I'm unsure what size to go 17" or 18"

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
You shouldn't loose any acceleration, the rolling radius of the wheel will be the same as the alloy wheel gets bigger but the tire profile (sidewall) will get smaller so overall the size of wheel+tyre will be the pretty much the same.
You're both forgetting to take into account that bigger wheels = more unsprung weight which means you need more torque to turn them. Not a problem on bigger engines, but may be noticeable on the 1.4

Metal tends to weight more than rubber, so smaller tyres don't really balance it out.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
See iv had this in my head all along but am still not sure what I should do. If putting anything other than 16's on the 1.4 is bad then there is no real other choice but to stay with standard -_-"

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
It won't be bad, unless you're going daft and throwig 20" alloys on your 1.4 you probably won't feel much at all, if anything. 17" and 18" Honda alloys will be just fine. They might make a difference, but only a very slight one.

Reactions: Jonny 43

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
It won't be bad, unless you're going daft and throwig 20" alloys on your 1.4 you probably won't feel much at all, if anything. 17" and 18" Honda alloys will be just fine. They might make a difference, but only a very slight one.
Heh 20's even to this day I still say my 'y' reg punto need a set of those... (only joking ofc) I wouldn't go to even 19's, 18's max even then only summer wheels. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts