2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After deciding that my daily driver 1980 Mini 1000 really needed to come off the road for a full rebuild, i went out last saturday to buy a motor with absolutely no idea what i wanted as a replacement...

.. and ended up with a silver 56 plate Type S GT :)

Going from 38 bhp to 138 bhp sure is a chunk of fun but im already wondering if i should have gone Type R :)

Love the ride though, Firm fast and fun .. and already generated a few tickles from the ladies .. what more can you ask for :D

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Whatever best suits you.
If you went for the Type R, then it would be a much higher road tax, due to the emissions - thats why they have stopped making them.
Insurance premium higher.
MPG - far less.
The 1.8 is a fine car, though the 2.2 diesel is easier and cheaper to tune and a fraction faster in standard form, better MPG, but would have cost you more to buy.
Tis Horses for courses etc etc.
P.S. If you purchased the car from a Main Honda Dealership, you can return it and choose another model, under Honda's 30 day or under 1000 mile deal.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe , at my age i can temper the urge to go stupid fast against a comfortable and economic ride.

Love the stock look and stance , might just drop it slightly and concentrate on the internals cos i really dont mind how it already drives.

Above all, just really a really happy civic owner :)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grrrr , damn you all and your extra BHP's :p

Thanks for the warm welcomes tho .. nice to know theres a friendly forum for any questions that may arise, hope to add something new but will probably just be content watching what everyone does to their own motors and snarfling a few of the cool ideas..

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
hello & welcome :)
another convert !! they are good cars, but after 18 months i need a type R :p
glad your enjoying it and this is a great friendly forum, enjoy !!

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Welcome! Be sure to guard the wallet while on here as it tends to empty quickly!!!!

Sctrpop used Tapatalk to post this!!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Welcome :) ....

The 1.8 is a fine engine... Ok not as tuneable as the 2.2 or R, but remember, compared to a lot of equivelent cars in its class... It is very quick.

The Civic is a great car to mod... inside and out!

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Love the stock look and stance , might just drop it slightly and concentrate on the internals cos i really dont mind how it already drives.
You can't really tune the engine on the 1.8 but if by internal you meant interior then are a few ideas floating around the forums.

Personally I still think its a great choice. I have the 1.8GT and its a fantastic car and surprisingly quick especially on VTEC.

If you must have more BHP then have others have said use the 30 day guarantee. But be aware your Road Tax will jump from £160 to £260. Insurance isn't cheap unless you're old and with ever soaring petrol prices, consumption whilst very good for a performance car will drop as well compared to the GT.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Welcome indeed ...

Personally, I'd simply widen and drop it a bit first (Eibach springs and spacers) ...

Then do something with the brakes (better pads, as a minimum) and upgrade the headlights ...

Then you can focus on the cabin - LOTS of possibilities, including from sellers in here - footwell lighting, reversing camera, auto folding mirrors, trim, leather, gear knob, etc. - guard your wallet ! ...

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Hello and welcome! 1.8 Type S is a very nice car bud enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Whatever best suits you.
If you went for the Type R, then it would be a much higher road tax, due to the emissions - thats why they have stopped making them.
Not quite true, it doesn't meet Euro V emissions regulations so has been withdrawn.

There are plenty of cars that are have a higher CO2 rating and have a lower MPG and are therefore in the highest road tax bracket, but still meet the Euro V regulations.

You can't really tune the engine on the 1.8 but if by internal you meant interior then are a few ideas floating around the forums.
The 1.8 car is ideal for a turbo modification. The exhaust manifold is on the front, there is plenty of space if you remove the airbox for the blower and it has been done in the US on the US spec 1.8 and there is a thread on here with someone from Greece doing it:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/52925-r18-greek-turbo-project.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts