2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just a quick introduction and already a big thank you for the wealth of information available here!

My name is Mike and I got here after some Internet searching for parts and guides to fix my wifes 2007 type S.

We've been thinking of replacing the Civic for a while but it's just been such a good car to us mechanically, drives well and it polishes up nicely so I've decided to tackle a couple of small jobs and ended up here.

Here she is last spring, no nice waxes as we were coming out of winter so Gyeon special, Cancoat, View and Rim.

Suspension has been a bit noisy for a while now so got a full set of Bilstein OEM shocks, lemforder droplinks and OEM ARB bushes to go on.

Then the usual digits of the display that give up until you give them a good bang.

And finally the airconditioning which only works while on the go. Quickly checked the clutch but it seems to spin fine so I'm thinking of a blockage in the condensor?

Couple of questions re the suspension if people read this! Or should I just post this in the suspension subforum?

The bolts on the rear seem crusty, tried to find a part number but couldn't really find any, which ones to get?

Same for the two bolts that hold the hub on the front shocks, thinking of getting camber bolts (worth it?) but will still need one OEM bolt per side, anyone got a part number?

Third and last question for now, I won't be able to check top mounts and bearings till everything has been taken apart. I don't want to have the suspension apart and then having to order more parts but also don't want to just order them if I don't need them as they're quite expensive to replace for the sake of it.
Any telltale signs they need doing? I suppose low speed turn creaking and banging?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah sorry yes I wasn't very clear on that and wasn't aware there was more than one type S!

Wow that link is pure gold, thank you so much!

I'll see if I can save those bolts, was thinking of protecting everything with Bilt Hamber Dynax UB and XCP rust protector afterwards!

·
i-Vtec
2,805 Posts
My rear shocks were the same condition when I replaced them. Replaced with Bilsteins too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was there a big difference in driving comfort?

BTW, I've found a link here to an ebay seller with two top mounts and bearings for about 55 quid.

Do you happen to know if these are OEM quality? For that price it's worth just replacing the whole thing!

·
i-Vtec
2,805 Posts
Oh yes huge difference. Was still firm but the damping was much improved. When I did my fronts I used Borg and Beck top mounts and SKF bearings so couldn't comment on those ones.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I used genuine Honda top mounts and bearings with the bilstiens you could also add a set of eiBach springs while your at it and some spacer it makes the car look like it should have done from the factory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh don't say that! My cars are all modified and it's just a pain to get insurance quotes every year, takes me an hour and a half to get the insurers to put everything in their system haha!

I have to admit though that the arch gaps always bothered me. Not read up on it but eibach pro or sportline and what spacers? About 15mm I'd say?

How does it affect the ride compared to stock, any NVH? Handling isn't top concern, that's what the Clio is for ;)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Eibach pro and 15mm front and 20mm rear

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That does look good. l think I'll have to have a chat with the boss ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't wait to be honest, just waiting for the impact wrench to arrive now!

And they do need some better rust protection, shocking really how bad they get.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, had a good start today, replaced the rear shocks and altough I was afraid I'd damage the lower bolts of the rear shocks, my new best friend made sure they came out in one piece in mere seconds!

Smooth sailing after that, removed the old shocks. New vs old..

Cleaned the rubber bushes with APC and Black Wow Pre Wow and put a tiny bit of lithium grease on them.

Fitted the new Bilstein shocks and after torqueing everything up protected them with XCP rust blocker. See if they will last a bit longer.

Just waiting for parts to arrive and then do the fronts!

And gave the wheels a quick clean while they were off, happy to see that Gyeon Rim was still doing it's thing!

20200710_143146.jpg

·
i-Vtec
2,805 Posts
Large difference in the size of the shocks amazed me when I did mine too. More room for Gas/oil Im assuming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I noticed that as well!

Have to admit the Sachs that came off weren't totally shot, still had some rebound after 100k miles, but just been out for a little drive over a couple of rough roads with speedbumps and the rear is totally silent. Even when pulling away from the drive where it was previously squeaking and groaning for the first couple of meters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is that green tape that's compressing the bilstein?
Couldn't figure out why it was so much shorter than the oe sachs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's the same plastic packing stuff they use around cardboard boxes. They come half compressed, I guess to save space!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Started on the fronts, wasn't looking forward to it as I've had better looking bolts on my Clio round off resulting in getting the angle grinder out but the new Makita is a beast and didn't care about how rusty the bolts were!

Instead of hours of work it was as easy as wire wheel, plusgas and whip 'm off!

ARB bushes swapped as well

Hopefully won't struggle with the nuts on top of the strut but at least all other bolts came of fine!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, wow, wow,

Finished the suspension refresh today and took the old girl out for a spin through the twisties. The car has been transformed, forgot how nice it was to drive!

The front shocks and ARB bushes were totally shot, this is how much the fronts pushed themselves out after three hours of being off the car..

All the new goodies:

And on the car, nicely treated to a coating of XCP rust blocker :

One question though, when tidying up a piece of rubber fell out of the old shock absorber, apparently it had to go under the spring and the new Bilstein unit didn't have them.

Should I have put these on, which means taking everything apart again, or are they not essential?

Thanks again for all the help and wealth of information on here!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts