2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Type S uneven steering - poor road holding

Tags
steering
3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ads22 
#1 ·
Hi there

Am new to the forum and own a unmodified 07 Type S GT

Love my car and the added kit however have a consistent bug bear that I am unsure what to do next with

I find my car doesn't feel quite planted on the road - something I have noticed worsen gradually. I have had two wheel alignments and tyres upfront are Avon ZV7s which are fairly new.

When driving I notice the steering is noticeably heavier (or firmer) steering right than left. I also notice this slightly turning the wheel from lock to lock while stationary. When steering left the steering feels much looser, with little self centering and sometimes feels as if the car is going to over-steer. Quite a horrible feeling on faster country lanes and makes for a nervous drive sometimes. I know 8th gen civics have light steering but I find my friends 1.8SE steering feels a lot more evenly weighted compared to mine.

I have had the suspension and steering components inspected with no faults found.

There are also no noticeable noises from the steering or rack etc. I am aware that you can fit aftermarket rear shims and camber adjuster bolts for this gen civic but not sure if that sounds like it rectify this behaviour if there is possible underlying issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
mileage? I had my suspension checked on two occasions no faults found but I knew there was a problem and decided to replace the whole suspension , once removed and inspected it was clear how worn the top mount bearings were , felt a different car after replacement...

#3 ·
Its on 95k. It may be on the original components, no paperwork on the car suggests otherwise.
Ive also read more into the fast road setup which some have had carried out. If im correct a fast road setup can only be carried out with camber bolts and shims?
Unsure whether to just throw money at suspension components or maybe look into fast road!
Although to think this is how the Type S comes as stock is pretty shocking.

#4 ·
Its on 95k. It may be on the original components, no paperwork on the car suggests otherwise.
Ive also read more into the fast road setup which some have had carried out. If im correct a fast road setup can only be carried out with camber bolts and shims?
Unsure whether to just throw money at suspension components or maybe look into fast road!
Although to think this is how the Type S comes as stock is pretty shocking.
95k on original suspension is probably the likely cause shocks might be shot, fast road isn't going to improve the ride if you have worn components .. people usually go for fast road set up if they've put lowering springs on, camber bolts and shims will be used for fast road set up....

#7 ·
think I paid £550 ish including eibach lowering springs, I didn't think that was bad for front and rear Sachs shocks and genuine honda top mounts and bump stop kits and lemforder drop links ... its surprising how nice the car felt after in fact when I purchased the car with 79k it felt crap so probably needed it then..

#13 ·
That’s why I’m a tad concerned, all I’ve heard is how well the civic handles but as of late I just don’t have much confidence when driving on things on country lanes. It just feels very vague and sloppy when turning left.

There’s no nasty noises but it does sound like it may need a refresh. I just wish a mechanic could diagnose something as dont want to change expensive parts to find its the steering rack or just the rear out of alignment.

If the rear does need adjusting (alignment specs show excessive toe on rear left) would I just need rear shims?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.