2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello civinfo buddies,

I've been having a nagging issue with my TypeS door hinges. Their is some sort of a screw that holds 2 bars in place. This damn screw keeps popping out (upwards) from time to time. What happens is that the 3 open-door "positions" (can't recall the degrees) all lead to loud thuds when opening/closing the door.

Does anyone have a similar issue? I'll be asking at my Dealer's if they have some way of fixing the screw so that it doesn't come flying out every few weeks or so (on both driver's & passenger's door).

Have a good one fellas!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not when the screw is pushed down all the way. Basically, it tends to slowly push itself upwards every now and then.

It seems to me like a locking mechanism (something to hold it in place) is missing at the bottom of the screw. Can anyone check and tell me if they're able to quite simply push the screw upwards ?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, I'll take a pic on my way out from work in a few minutes or so...

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a photo I found on this site; it is the left-side door.
Look for the hinge and the vertical screw holding it all together (circled in RED).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Mine has done this 5 or 6 times and been replaced once..it still does it.
The mechanic said to tap it back in and it will hold again!!
Its going to have another at the next service...He said he'd not seen this before!!..Yeah!!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, feels good to know I'm not the only one! [smilie=cheeky-grin:

Oh well, it has almost become part of my routine to tap it back in every week or so, usually when I take it for a wash. The "THUD THUD THUD" sound does quite well to scare off my friends when they dive into my spaceship.

Next time I'll stop by my dealer (Japauto Paris), I'll ask the technician to have a look; don't think it's gonna be anytime soon :(

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have found that it does on my CTR. Sounds like this is an issue with 3 door Civics. I have tried using thread lock to stop the stud moving and Araldite. None of which worked. So at the moment I just keep knocking it back in every few weeks as soon as I notice that the door does not seem to work as smoothly.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is a September 2007 CTS, what about you guys ? Maybe it was fixed on later 3-door models...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I got my CTR in May 07. One of the guys at work has recently leased an 58 plate CTR and the door hinges on it do seem to be a better build quality. so you may well be right

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
The pin is just a push fit.To secure it,once in place,the bottom/end of the pin needs 'mushrooming'This could be done with a centre punch,or using some grips/molegrips like a vice to spread the end of the pin.The 5 door's the same I think.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone interested in doing a poll to find out if this is a generalised issue ? Maybe we can spread the word better on the forums...

Also, do you think that this could play a role in case of a side-impact ? As in the door not opening correctly following an accident ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts