2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the symptoms that you'd usually get when you need valve clearances done?
Can it being overdue cause any serious issues?
07 FN2
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Tapping noise. What mileage are you on?

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Needs doing bud. 100 quid at the dealers I went to.

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
No. It was in for a service and I borrowed the missus car

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will it affect performance? Cars jerky and has lost a bit of bottom end power - my front brake calipers are playing up. Just trying to find out if the valve clearance could be playing a part too?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am doing the service by my self BUT sometimes the klicking noise from the injectors cause also a 'tapping' noise. And that confuses a lot!
I've passed the 120k and the injectors sound like an unloaded gun... kinda shabby.
But they do their job quiet decend 'hah'.

An outstanding diagnose will help with the 'screwdriver in ear' trick.

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Funnily enough I was pondering whether to change/upgrade my injectors. Does their performance deteriorate over time?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might sound like a daft question but is the "tapping" noise when the car is driving or when the engine is off??
Sometimes after I've floored it a bit and I get home and turn the engine off...I can hear l tapping noise coming from bonnet area....is this what you's are talking about?

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
No, that's heat dissipation, parts pinging as the car cools.

·
Registered
50 Posts
-always check valve clearances- ( i.e. If they are too tight )
damn right! If the valve clearance is too tight: ' I give u just a few kilometers and they're gone'

The service limit a.e. 40.000 is a service many people wonder about. And I know that Honda tells you that in a case of a well known manner.

Tapping noises can also occur if the LMA's are bad... bad or filled with air. That problem have many people after a rebuild because they don't know how to pre-oil / fill these little things.
By bare hands, Honda used LMA's with and without a preloaded spring. Today they use spring loaded ones and these springs can loose a small amount of (spring) preload. That's the ways how they start ticking 'after a while'.

Plus that I don't know if the loud injector noises are an example for 'worn out'. If that would be the case-after turning the engine off it would still runs on a bit. Okay that would be the worst case for leaking injectors.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Mine is currently on 45700 miles and i have a tapping noise not when sitting on tick over but as soon as i start driving, it's very noticeable up to 3k rpm. The speed of the ticking increases with the rpm so it's noticeable between 1k rpm and 3k rpm. Can anyone advise if this is the valve clearances or something else?

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
Had mine done at 75k when I bought the car and again at 95k.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounds like it needs doing. I had mine done at 29k miles. Car was low mileage so not sure it had ever been done! I did get a ticking sound when idle after a drive and it has gone since the clearances were done

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts