2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 2nd service.

12,000 miles on the clock so I was surprised to get an advisory that next year I will probably need new front tyres.

Previously I've done up to 40k on original tyres so was a bit surprised.

When I got home I got my tyre tread gauge out and they have got the rears spot on at 6mm but they reckon the fronts are down to 4mm but according to my proper tyre depth gauge all 4 grooves are also 6mm in 4 places around the tyre.

Funny thing is they were all reported, different dealer, at 6mm all round last year but in fairness I've only done 4,500 since last year.

Me being suspicious I see a sales trick looming but what they don't know is that I'll probably only do another 3 or 4k in the next 12 months then I'll be p/x ing for a long term one.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
You have managed to highlight that I have absolutely no idea how long a set of tyres lasts me - I always just replace them when they need doing and then forget about it! :(
Probably should keep track of these things.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm paranoid about these things since a Citroen dealer tried it on with brake pads.

They phoned me and told me I needed new brake pads. What they didn't know was that my office was only a short distance away so I stalled them and turned up 5 minutes later and asked to be shown.

The conversation rapidlychanged to that the mechanic had reported the wrong car to service reception and mine were in fact OK.

Since then I always visually check tyres and pads before going in.

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
I'm paranoid about these things since a Citroen dealer tried it on with brake pads.

They phoned me and told me I needed new brake pads. What they didn't know was that my office was only a short distance away so I stalled them and turned up 5 minutes later and asked to be shown.

The conversation rapidlychanged to that the mechanic had reported the wrong car to service reception and mine were in fact OK.

Best way to be honest.. I've heard of them taking the 'pee' out of elderly or women when they come to MOT and servicing a car.

But when they are confronted by someone who has even just basic knowledge of cars and the law they fold over.

Idiots

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
My car has just had her second service, 6mm reported on front and rear at 9800 miles.

Honda should e-mail you a satisfaction survey soon, perhaps feed this back on there if you are genuinely concerned. I found the survey to be quite comprehensive. You are also given the option to share your comments with the dealer. I believe Honda are very hot on customer satisfaction. Hopefully this was just a genuine mistake.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny thing is I used this dealer this time as it's where I bought the car and they are closer than where I used to go.

The last time I used this dealer was with my i-shift 8G. I asked them to perform the i-shift software upgrade which they said they would and it was on the invoice. A year later at Newton Honda I asked them to check my i-shift version and they reckoned it was the original factory version and hadn't been upgraded so they did it.

I wrote to this dealer and they swore blind it had been done. The reason I queried was that I was not feeling the same improvement that others here were reporting.
After Newton Honda did the upgrade I did notice a small difference.

I will mention it on any feedback requested.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably

They've never heard of Civinfo either. I tried to get a salesman interested with some possible extra sales through exposure but he didn't appear interested.

We have a member here from a Bucks Honda franchise. If I can remember or find him then I'll give that one a go and have a meet :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
or they could have been measuring right at the edge of the tyre, where the thread meets the side wall.

had a customer who drove all the way from farnham to leeds with supposedly illegal tyres only to find that they had plenty of life left in them, we got him in the workshop and remeasured them in front of him and showed him the readings. turns out his local dealer was measuring right at the edge of the tyre and not the usable tread.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wouldn't surprise me. the tyres are visibly almost new when you view the tread and there is no inner or outer scrubbing so I've laughed it off.

If they give me the best p/x quote next year, like they did last time, I'll remind them that they'll need to change the front tyres and see what the guy says when he's giving it the once over and the tyres have loads of meat left on them :D

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I have my 3rd service booked in for April and was recently advised that the tyre shoulders are down to 2mm. The tyres generally have 4mm tread left. I will replace before my service. I've managed 32k miles on these front tyres so its not so bad. Its more than I did on my 8th gen, only managed 25k on those.

·
The Red Devil
481 Posts

I had something very similar with my old 7g Civic. When I send my cars in for a service I actually use a device to test the thickness of the discs - and knowing the numbers I was amused when once the dealer phoned saying that my discs where on the minimum and needed to be replaced. When I read out my readings there was a hasty back tracking of the conversation on the part of the dealer.

Needless the say the discs had plenty of life in them and didn't need to be replaced for a further three years! I have to make sure I get a full list of the service items and make sure there are things they don't do. I got fed up with Honda charging me a few quid for a miniature bottle of screen wash when I had made sure it was full when I sent it in.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
You're right to be a bit suspicious about this sort of thing.
Between my 3rd and 4th year services my rear tyres gained an inch in tread.

It was a while later I realised the rubber must still have been alive and growing... :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
My 8th gen that had bridgestones tires that were used with city, motorway and some country road with spirited driving half the time lasted 40000km or 25000mi.

Doubt my new set of entry level performance tires will last that long but I do not care as they give amazing grip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts