• Michelin Pilot Sport 2

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 DS3

Votes: 9 21.4%

Tyre choices for 19" Rages?

4K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  sparky_edwards 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My current tyres (Yokohama Advan Sport) are nearing the end of their lifespan after clocking up nearly 30,000 miles! (rotated at 15,000). I've been really impressed with these tyres and looking to replace for similar ones or another good quality brand.

Please can you help me decide between the following 3 brands that I've narrowed it down to?

#2 ·
really glad you posted this... i was going to ask everyone the very same question as mine too are low now and wanted advice on which tyres i go for if not the same yokohamas!!
and does anyone know prices per tyre for the rages?

#8 ·
I have spoken to Johnno about this and he recommends his friend Lee at Elite Direct and I was quoted around 575 fully fitted for the Goodyear Eagle F1 DS3's not too long ago...a cracking deal when you consider that these tyres go for around 180 pounds each fully fitted at most places (Blackcircles.com or mytyre.com)

#4 ·
#7 ·
Thanks JP...I was going to add those to the list but was in my friends EP3 the other day and he has Toyos on...I noticed that they were pretty noisy to be honest although I'm sure they are excellent tyres as I see lots of owners using/recommending them.

#11 ·
No one using the Bridgestones?? I found the Advans fairly useless in the wet. Plus as a tribute to the abuse they recieved they only lasted 13,000miles... I'm blaming previous owners...

Have RE050A on the front now, wanted Pilots but couldn't afford at the time as had to purchase in emergency as the fronts had quietly gotten below the limit. Find the bridgestones a whole lost better, more communicative and progressive.

Understands pilots are the best?

#15 ·
Thanks for the posts everyone..looks like I could have added another 2/3 tyres to the poll! It's pretty obvious there is a lot of choice which can only be a good thing! I'm going to play it safe and go with the Yokohama Advan Sports as my experience of them is excellent. I've found them extremely reliable and awesome in all weather conditions, and have good durability too...plus Johnno has got me a cracking deal on them:)

Thanks for the help though guys really appreciate it.

#17 ·
Thanks mate will be speaking to him tomorrow I know he'll be able to give me some good advice as, like u said, he's tried and tested them all ...I've only had experience of the Yoko's, which IMO have been excellent. Was putting out a "feeler" to see what everyone else has experienced so far and it's been interesting reading;)

#19 · (Edited)
Ive got the Continental 3's on mine, In the Wet there really good & in the Dry they are amazing to say the very least. The Fronts lasted me 20,000 miles and the Rears still have 5mm left now at 26,000 miles. BUT the Conti's are very pricy. Honda wanted £210 per tyre fitted! Lee done them for £160 per tyre fitted. The Yoko's will be much cheeper than that mate.

#18 ·
Let us know what he says Vince!

#21 · (Edited)
I spoke to Lee at Elite Direct this morning (top man!) who was very helpful. It seems that if you have the Rages there isn't an abundance of choice with regard tyres as the 225/35/ZR19 is not a common size. But the good news is that from what's available, there's plenty of top quality tyres to choose from and it really just comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

The Rages normally come with Continental 3's or Yokohama Advan Sports out of the factory.

The Continentals are very good both in dry and wet conditions. Plus they are very durable too.

The Yokohamas offer excellent grip in the dry and are good in the wet too. They may not last quite as long as the Continentals due to the softer compound but the grip is better in the dry.

He also mentioned the new Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics which have replaced the Eagle
F1 DSG3's. These tyres have done very well in Evo tyre tests and they are similar to Continentals in that they are very good in both wet/dry conditions.

The Toyo Proxes T1-R's seem really popular with Jap cars and are similar to the Yokohamas in performance.

I opted to go for the Yokohamas in the end as I really rate them, I'm used to them and the grip they give in the dry is immense! They may not last quite as long and may not be as good in the wet...but they still lasted me 30,000 miles and I don't blast my car around in the wet either!

To be honest...all the tyres mentioned in this post are really good and I haven't even mentioned Bridgestones etc etc.

Went down this afternoon and got them fitted what great service and a really nice place too...excellent customer lounge area and massive choice of products I recommend that you guys have a look at Elite Direct the next time you need any tyres/wheels/MOT...they even do tracking, suspension, exhausts!

I went for a spirited drive around some local roads and wow what a difference they make...just stuck to the road like glue and I have so much more confidence in my car now...I should really have changed tyres a couple of thousand miles ago because you can really tell the difference in performance when the tread gets low...I was down to 2mm on all 4 tyres which is not a clever thing to do!

Thanks Johnno for recommending them and looking after me and thanks to Lee and the team at Elite.

#26 ·
thanks for this vince thats what im defo going for too...what did you end up paying if you dont mind me asking?my front tyres are also down to 2mm now and have noticed they dont grip well at all.:(

#32 ·
I replaced my Pilot Sport PS2's with Goodyear Eagle GSD3's on my last Civic, and they transformed the car.....into a tramlining, vague steering monster. The GSD3's were brilliant in standing water, but I couldn't tell the difference on a damp road, and the sidewalls had more give on a dry road. I then read an article that said that the GSD3's are better on rear-wheel drive cars due to the extreme rotational bias in the tread. Anyway, I was driving standing water only once every couple of months, so I didn't really need that ability, and it wasn't worth the sacrifice of the car's steering "feel". My latest CTR had Yoko Advan Sports, and I replaced them with Pilot Sport PS2's based on my previous experience. I instantly noticed a big increase in noise, but they feel a lot more stable in sharp cornering and more grippy in the wet.

#35 ·
Hi, I was looking around for some tyres for my type r. I found a company called Neo Brothers they sell a set of tyres call Neuton? No i had never heard of the either. They're made by Yokahama, their tread pattern is the same as bridgstones.

Ive had them on for 10'000 miles and they're ace no dramas whatsoever. i would recommend them to anyone, and the lads at their garage are ace.

Anyway heres the link have a look.

4 x NEUTON 225 35 19 TYRES 88W 2253519 225/35/19 (SET) on eBay (end time 04-Nov-09 11:52:28 GMT)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.