2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed some cracking around the outer shoulder on my rear tyres. Not sure if this was a symptom of additional time sitting still over the last year along with obviously age. The tyres were fitted Jan 16 and have a prod date of Q4 2015 so not massively old.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think these would be deemed dangerous as I wouldn’t be even asking. No cord is visible, the side wall is not affected and the tread is not coming away, but would you guys be thinking get shot or keep and continue to use the tread life they have still? I’m not even below 4mm on these

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'd continue to use them, you might get an advisory on a mot for tyres perishing but they are perfectly fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
go ask an MOT tester before you get to the next one.

tyres usually crack in the tread valleys, not seen this before.

can see they are Goodyear but which particular tyre are they.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The are Eagle F1 Asy 3’s so a not a cheap tyre.
I’ve already got asy 5’s on the front which I prefer tbh

·
Registered
525 Posts
I see tyres like this all the time at work, they will pass an MOT but will be an advisory. I'd personally use them, as long as cords aren't showing and the cracks aren't too deep that they are close to showing cords.

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
The are Eagle F1 Asy 3’s so a not a cheap tyre.
I’ve already got asy 5’s on the front which I prefer tbh
how many miles have they done in those 5 years?
if you prefer the AS5 then you may already have the answer to your question.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
458 Posts
It’s uv braking down the tyres mate, it makes the bindings weak and that cracks/splits the outside. Keep eye on them, if they crack more, basically deeper change them as this is your side wall integrity breaking down

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may decide to fit my rear springs over the weekend so I’ll be under the car again. I think if the inside shoulder is showing similar signs of wear I’ll just get them done albeit there isn’t much UV reaching under there 😂. I’ve done about 45k since I’ve had the car. So these have done at least that!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you want to know if they're safe, pop into a tyre place, they're normally pretty helpful, obviously they want to sell tyres, but I've normally found my local ones will give honest advice.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
458 Posts
If you want to know if they're safe, pop into a tyre place, they're normally pretty helpful, obviously they want to sell tyres, but I've normally found my local ones will give honest advice.
Ha, stay away from quick fit other wise you will end up with 4 new tyres, brakes, pads, exhaust before you know it…😆

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,610 Posts
My 8 year old OEM Continental tyres are crack free, but it does get kept in a garage out of UV sight.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Don't go over 30 mph/. They need replacing. I believe that after eight years is currently regarded as the safe life span.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,610 Posts
I'll be getting a MK4 Jazz in Sep, all being well, so my 24k tyres will do. They sailed through the MOT in Feb.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It’s now in for two new asy 5’s next week. I had a closer a look and I’m just not happy. Especially with some of the cracks I the deeper tread. Tbh I have nothing to complain about, they have done a good chunk of miles over a fair amount of years. It’s just seeing that remaining tread depth go to waste 😅

1 - 20 of 24 Posts