2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon, while driving, system informed me that something maybe wrong with tyre pressure. Visually it looked ok, so I continued to my home.

But in the evening I checked each tyre and one was in fact too low, so I pumped it up.

I checked it in the morning and it looked fine. I checked it once again today after work and still looks fine. So I'll keep monitoring it to see how fast it will loose pressure.

But the question is ... what to do with system's warning? As I read in the manual and in several threads on that forum - I need to reset the warning by initializing calibration.
I know what to click but I'm worried by one thing - in the manual (and in one thread on the forum it was also mentioned) it says that after reseting I need to drive a car for a longer period of time with higher speed (according to my Polish manual - about 30 minutes of driving with speed between 50 and 100 km/h).

But my commute is shorter and mostly with lower speeds. So what in such case? What will happen if I start the calibration but I will not have a proper distance driven?

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
If you've just had to pump it up then it may not need recalibrating.

If it does, then it does take about 15 miles to finish calibration. Never heard of any speed requirements though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it needs recalibration as the warning is still visible although all wheels have the same pressure now (pressing info button on the steering wheel just hides it, but it's still active).

Still my commute is about 10 miles, half of which is stop-&-go city traffic. So I believe that I will have to wait 'till I'll be going somewhere further (probably on the weekend).

·
POWER!!
48 Posts
I think it needs recalibration as the warning is still visible although all wheels have the same pressure now (pressing info button on the steering wheel just hides it, but it's still active).

Still my commute is about 10 miles, half of which is stop-&-go city traffic. So I believe that I will have to wait 'till I'll be going somewhere further (probably on the weekend).
I had this after changing my tyres to. Despite running the calibration multiple times and driving to and from my office, the warning would always come back.

Wasn't until I drove 25-30 miles for work stuff that it finally stopped nagging me.

Never read anything about speed requirements either.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,394 Posts
Have reset after putting air into tyres with no problems or subsequent warnings. Just says reset after pumping tyres up in manual, nothing about speed or distance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for answers.

So I think that tomorrow I'll give it a try and reset before going to work. If it doesn't reset properly then I'll just wait until I'll be doing some longer trip.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked today. I pressed reset in the morning before going to work and it seems that even my short commute was enough (warning doesn't appear anymore).

Thanks again for all suggestions.

·
POWER!!
48 Posts
Glad you got it sorted in the end! Thanks for the feedback about the short trip though. I was convinced it needed a longer run.

Will save me fuel next time [smilie=coolup.gif]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small update.
It seems that my short commute might not work after all.

Today while driving to work I got again low tyre pressure warning. However a few minutes ago I went to the car to check the pressure and all wheels are similar (ranging 2.4 atm - 2.5 atm [35.3 psi - 36.7 psi]. I believe that such difference in pressure shouldn't be noticed by the system. Especially that before when I was first served with that communicate three wheels had around 2.5 and one had 2.0 (29.4 psi) - so the difference was significant.

Perhaps my commute is too short and system was trying to figure out what is going on for these few days but eventually recalibration failed and I got warning again ... ?

On the weekend I'll be doing some longer trip, so I'll try to reset it once more and we'll see if that helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Set the pressure to what is shown on the door jam and go for a drive down the motor way.
As the system calculates the difference in rotation speed between the wheels then pressure value itself is not important as long as all wheels are the same and have the value that was initialiy set during calibration.

And the door jam shows 2.3 atm for empty car and 2.7 atm for fully loaded car. So in the factory (or dealership) they pumped all wheels to 2.5 atm - the middle value. It should be fine I guess, so I'm not changing it.

I was rather wondering if my short commute with city traffic will be enough to reset the settings after I had a problem with one tyre. But now I see that it rather requires longer motor way driving (which I'll be doing on the weekend - till then I'll just live with the orange light on the dash :)).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
A while back i had the low tyre pressure light turn on for the first time since I had the car. Would inflate all tyres to the recommended PSI but the low pressure light would come back 2 - 3 weeks later. Could not see any nails, screws etc in the 4 tyre treads.
Over the coming weeks I ignored the low pressure warning thinking it was faulty. Eventually, it turns out i did have a very small nail embedded in the tyre that the tyre place trying to find the source of the leak took over an hour doing so. So it appears very small differences in tyre pressure for one tyre can cause rotational differences which the system can detect. I don't think that you need to drive the car any long distances to calibrate the system after initialisation, just a short distance will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
It probably just needs a mix of road types. Straight to bendy etc.

It is a very sensitive system though. Shame it can't tell you which of the 4 tyres it thinks has a problem.

·
Veedub
525 Posts
Just a reminder........................

Hope this helps... Inflate your tyres to the correct pressure then:-

• Ignition on (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
  • Press Menu
  • Use the volume buttons + and - to scroll through the menu
  • Select by pressing SOURCE
  • Select CUSTOMIZE SETTINGS
  • Select DEFLATION WARNING SYSTEM
  • Select Yes
  • New tyre pressures will be stored
This should be completed after every adjustment of tyre pressures to ensure that it is stored effectively

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently having an issue with mine. I keep resetting it, but it keeps going off every 40-50 miles. It has been in the garage and they've been over every tyre and can't find a puncture or damage. There doesn't seem to be pressure issues or any drops in pressures. Has anyone ever known it develop a fault?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone ever known it develop a fault? Mine has gone off every 40-50 miles this week. There have been no pressure drops and a garage has checked every single tyre and can't find a puncture or damage. Any ideas?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts