2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just changed wheels from the standard 17" to 18" (225x40x18). I was hoping to find the tyre pressure in the manual as that is an OEM wheel option size, unfortunately it doesn't list tyre pressure and just says "see door card" which only has pressures for the 17" option.

Can anyone help? I'm assuming that 18" will run at a slightly higher pressure than 17".

·
Registered
341 Posts
Honestly, it doesn't matter too much to stick to manufacturers guidelines. For economy i run around 38 psi all round, normal driving i stick to 33psi. Also, the higher the you inflate the pressure the harder the ride will be due to the tyre not being able to flex as much to absorb bumps.

If it helps, the civic type r fn2 which has the same wheel size uses pressures of around 36psi. I believe this is for the 8th gen but should help. https://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tyre_Pressures#18.22_Type_R__225.2F40_ZR18_88Y

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, it doesn't matter too much to stick to manufacturers guidelines. For economy i run around 38 psi all round, normal driving i stick to 33psi. Also, the higher the you inflate the pressure the harder the ride will be due to the tyre not being able to flex as much to absorb bumps.

If it helps, the civic type r fn2 which has the same wheel size uses pressures of around 36psi. I believe this is for the 8th gen but should help. https://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tyre_Pressures#18.22_Type_R__225.2F40_ZR18_88Y
Thanks, that's good info. I've been having a bit of a search online and it would appear that many manufacturers of other cars use the same pressure for larger diameter rims. When the tyre width increases then it appear that the recommended pressure increases too. My tyres are the same width as before so I'll stick with standard pressures for the time being.

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
why do people think different sizes need different psi
pressure is the same regardless of size the volume of air is what changes
now some models that use different sizes recommend different pressure but that's more down to performance between the different models

you can try a couple of psi up or down see if you notice a difference

as a rule if your driving fast and hard you lower the pressure a bit as the pressure increases with heat
but for road use your not gonna notice much difference

1 - 4 of 4 Posts