2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know a lot about this and some advice would be useful.

As I understand it there is a Direct TPMS system which works through monitors fitted inside the rims and Indirect TPMS where the Anti Lock Braking System monitors the pressure by calculating the speed at which the wheel is rotatED. I believe Honda went from Direct to Indirect in 2012.

The Difference Between Direct and Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems | College Hills Honda Blog

I have just had four new tyres fitted to my 2012 Honda Civic and the Deflation Warning System warning light appeared. Following the instructions on Page 293 of the Owners Handbook I Initialised the system and the warning light has gone out. The handbook warns that initialisation may be required after having new tyres fitted.

Theoretically this car being a 2012 model should have Direct Monitors fitted. I believe that the tyres that which were replaced replaced were the original tyres and therefore would have still had the original valves fitted..

The company who fitted the tyres, a National chain, also fitted new valves which on examination I find are rubber valves. Having now done a little research on the subject I have read that some valves are metal and act as sensors.

Can anyone throw any light on this.

The question is : Should the valves on my 2012 Civic be fitted with metal valves and are they actually the senors?

·
Registered
871 Posts
It should have normal rubber valves.
2012 Civic has indirect TPMS otherwise known as DWS Delation Warning System, no EU civic has had direct TPMS, only 2015 Jazz and Accord did. All current models have DWS

·
Super Moderator
20,990 Posts
The only time you will/maybe suffer a few warnings is when you need just one new tyre.

My theory is that as the new single tyre wall beds in, softens/flexes, the rotation does change a little and is often enough to trigger a few warnings.

I had a new single tyre on my 59 plate 8G and I got a warning almost immediately because the muppets at Ruislip Honda set the pressure to 39 instead of 30. Once corrected and re-initialised it went off again at ~100 miles and again at ~300 miles.

My daily journey, after init, was 21 miles so the required 15 miles was well covered.

After that it was fine.

If you replace all 4 tyres then the tyre wall flexing affects all 4 and a single init should be enough.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 2015 Civic just has standard valves

I had to replace one rear tyre a few months ago and for a week or two afterwards the monitor kept triggering, however after a few miles bedding in it's been fine since

The system is VERY sensitive but does work well

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only time you will/maybe suffer a few warnings is when you need just one new tyre.

My theory is that as the new single tyre wall beds in, softens/flexes, the rotation does change a little and is often enough to trigger a few warnings.

I had a new single tyre on my 59 plate 8G and I got a warning almost immediately because the muppets at Ruislip Honda set the pressure to 39 instead of 30. Once corrected and re-initialised it went off again at ~100 miles and again at ~300 miles.

My daily journey, after init, was 21 miles so the required 15 miles was well covered.

After that it was fine.

If you replace all 4 tyres then the tyre wall flexing affects all 4 and a single init should be enough.
That makes sense thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts