2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this on twice in the month Ive owned it, roughly 4 weeks apart so Id doubt it a VERY slow leak. Question is though does this come on as soon as a tyre(s) drop a single PSI? Just seems a bit over the top, I know you can turn it off and its a good warning system but 1 PSI seems silly.

How does it work?

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
Mine came on, in the first week of ownership, after long spirited drive. All 4 tyres were ok. I then called Honda assist, who spent 10 minutes with the manual working out how to switch the sensor off. Next day I checked the pressures again, still fine. A week later at the 25k service I asked the Honda dealer to take a look, they again could not care less and just showed me how to reset it (I knew that already as I can read, and have the manual) I was basically told to ignore it. As it is over sensitive. nice advice I thought....

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
The normal procedure is to get all your tyre pressures correct and then 'Initialise' the deflation warning system by driving at least 15 miles after having selecting the initialise option.

However, if you have had new tyre(s) but not all of them then I have found that new tyre(s) can cause a small number of false alarms early on.

This is because it takes a few hundred miles for the new tyre walls to bed in. During this time the tyre walls are progressively becoming more pliable and the system thinks you have a problem.

Once your tyre(s) have completed 300 miles though, another 'initialisation' should sort the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Didn't realise the civic's had a tyre pressure warning light, or is this on the later facelift models only ??

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
When you go onto the editors screen on the earlier models with sat nav, you do see a screen about tyre pressures, always wondered what it was about till now lol

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine came on, in the first week of ownership, after long spirited drive. All 4 tyres were ok. I then called Honda assist, who spent 10 minutes with the manual working out how to switch the sensor off. Next day I checked the pressures again, still fine. A week later at the 25k service I asked the Honda dealer to take a look, they again could not care less and just showed me how to reset it (I knew that already as I can read, and have the manual) I was basically told to ignore it. As it is over sensitive. nice advice I thought....
Nice! I suppose its catch 22, its annoying 'on' and stupid having it 'off'

The normal procedure is to get all your tyre pressures correct and then 'Initialise' the deflation warning system by driving at least 15 miles after having selecting the initialise option.

However, if you have had new tyre(s) but not all of them then I have found that new tyre(s) can cause a small number of false alarms early on.

This is because it takes a few hundred miles for the new tyre walls to bed in. During this time the tyre walls are progressively becoming more pliable and the system thinks you have a problem.

Once your tyre(s) have completed 300 miles though, another 'initialisation' should sort the problem.
Thanks for this, I didnt know about that. I suppose my problem is I dont know how old the tyres are, they look in good condition though, I just wouldnt have expected an issue. Turns out if this is over sensitive, its not really much of an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts