2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the correct tyre pressures are front and back for 18 Altimo alloys fitted with Yokahama Db tyres?

Cannot find any info on the car about what pressures to use.

Nearly forgot I have the 1.8 i-VTEC Sport.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
For normal tyres, I think it's 2.1 or 2.2 bar all round. Higher pressure in the back for full load or prolonged high speed driving.

I do not know if the 18"ers require different pressures.

·
Registered
178 Posts
doesn't it say on the tyres?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big-Chris.

The only info you get on the tyres is the maximum inflation pressure.

Tyre pressures are generally set by the vehicle manufacturers to get the best balance bewtween tyre wear and handling characteristics.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Big-Chris said:
doesn't it say on the tyres?
The same tyres can be used on many many different cars, all requiring different pressures. As Mr Lovedog says, it the maximum rated pressure on the tyre wall.

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
If you enjoy driving 'enthusiastically' try 2.3 bar for starters - might be a bit hard, but it will give you a starting point 8)

·
336 Posts
Not on a sticker in the door opening floor??

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
They are there on mine trekker, but I doubt they change the sticker for the different wheels, I dunno though.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
OK, just checked mine. Sticker is located on driver's door step (I don't know the proper name for it, the bit you step over to get in!).

I have an ES with standard 16" wheels. Recommened pressure 2.1 bar on all corners. I assume it would be the same for the 18" wheels/tyres.

·
336 Posts
Well. I've only got the standard 225/45x17" Pilot Sports on mine and I do 'enjoy' a very reponsive and sharp reaction to the steering (I'm an ex rally driver! :lol: ) so I run them at 2.3 bar despite the fact that the sticker says 2.0 bar - nice! No idea what passengers think as I seldom carry any! [smilie=lil_red_dev:

·
Registered
68 Posts
im using 2.4 bar on my 225x40x18 tyres, in fact that lower profile needs more pressure.. but test with different values, i'd started from 2.0 and went up to 2.6 , best pressure was 2.4 and there i will keep mine

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
When I first pumped my 17" Pentas, they were something like 40PSI(!)

I'm sure the "correct value" is 34 front, 31 rear, but they look soft at this pressure.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
basegreen said:
When I first pumped my 17" Pentas, they were something like 40PSI(!)

I'm sure the "correct value" is 34 front, 31 rear, but they look soft at this pressure.
They should do. Tyres are designed to deform at the bottom to increase surface area in contact with road. Old cross-ply tyres were meant to keep their shape (with very little contact area) and radials are supposed to conform with the road more.

I looked further into tyre pressures, and the 18"s are supposed have a slightly higher pressure than the 16 or 17" tyres.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to be a pain chaps, but I dont seem to be getting any closer to finding out what pressures are needed for my 18" wheels, it could well be that it is the same as for smaller size wheels.

Surely Im not the only driver with the 18" wheels?

·
336 Posts
Juuzi01's post recommending 2.4bar for your 225x40x18 tyres seems to be about right .....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mr Lovedog said:
Sorry to be a pain chaps, but I dont seem to be getting any closer to finding out what pressures are needed for my 18" wheels, it could well be that it is the same as for smaller size wheels.

Surely Im not the only driver with the 18" wheels?
The handbook doesn't quote any pressures, it says that the pressures are on the sticker on the driver's door pillar, but to contact your dealer in case of doubt. If you've changed the wheels, then there is certainly doubt.

Easiest way is to phone the dealer. If they don't know, they can find out very quickly.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
18" pressures:

1.8L
Normal load 2.3 2.2
With trailer 2.3 2.7

2.2L
Normal load 2.5 2.4
With trailer 2.5 2.9

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Any chance of posting the other sizes too? I'll then create a HOW TO (pump your tyres up!) post in the right place. No more wondering then :)

Wonder why the dealers are over pumping?

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts