2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought an 08 FN2 that has 19" Rage alloys, the previous owner has fitted 235/35 x 19 tyres and I believe the correct size should be 225/35 x 19. I will be replacing 2 tyres fairly soon as 1 is losing air and another has some sidewall damage, is there any real advantage to the 235 width over the 225?

Leaning towards changing back to the 225 width a pair at a time, obviously on the same axle but just thought it would be worth checking if I am missing any benefit of the 235 as prices seem similar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The diameter will also change a little. And you will lose a little bit of whatever comfort you have left in those 19” ;) because of the reduced side wall height.
All brands dont manufacture the newest models in all sizes, I would make sure my favorite tire is available in both sizes, if not it might give you the answer on which to choose :)
From my experience, the tire brand/model is more important than an extra cm in the width.
With the 235 you also get extra air resistance at high speed, and poorer performance in the wet..

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
only 10mm wider, doubt you'd notice the change even if you were to drive on these back-to-back. you'll have a marginally higher sidewall with the 235's but its only a few mm. (worked it out, its 3mm difference).

personally i'd just choose the tyre you want and go with whichever is cheaper 235 or 225

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,897 Posts
225/35R19,Recommend get some eagle f1 AS5, fantastic in the wet, good in the dry, grip like nowt. The amount off faith I have in these tyres entering corners, they just grip, about £140 odd a corner, their no cheap concerning 19s and a decent brand. You not getting much diff in price for any them sizes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like there is not much of a price difference between the two sizes of tyres, with 225 cheaper for some brands and 235 cheaper for others but usually only a few pounds in it.

There does seem to be more options for the 235 size though, I think this might be a more common size and possibly more readily available. Coming round to the idea of just sticking with the 235/35 for the replacements which means all 4 corners will be the same.

thanks for all the inputs.:)

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
have you checked the tyre pressure plate inside the driver's door?
the alternative tyre sizes are usually listed there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, thats what made me realise the 235/35 was not standard as the pressure plate lists the pressures for 225/40 x 18 and 225/35 x 19.

My inner OCD about tyres then kicked in as it didnt list 235/35 x 19 and prompted the questions on this thread. It has been good to work through with the thoughts of others and I dont think there is too much of a difference to be concerned about it, key thing is to have a decent make of tyre in good condition of the same size on all 4 corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts