2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
S2000 AP1
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All,

Just wondering how many miles people have done on the 19" Yokos...are they wearing alot faster than the 18" Bridgestones?

On a side note do you think grip is improved with the 19" tyres?

Many Thanks,

:cool::p:cool:

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
16,000 miles and counting, swapped fronts for backs at about 12,000, got about 4mm on backs now and 4.5 mm on the fronts with backs now wearing slower, also wear has slowed down with the FRS I have had done, especially on the sides where they were wearing faster before even with correct pressures.

Grip is improved without a doubt on the 19's and I find the Yoko's very good in the dry and competent in the wet although probably not the best, my next tyres will be Toyo TR-1's. I feel the Yoko's perform very well and wear is not as excessive as what I thought they would be.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was thinking of getting toyos as for next set of tyres but falkens fk452 are at a good price and last quite long in comparison to others. I used them on my previous car for about 2 years and not much to fault them on

·
Registered
308 Posts
9,000 miles my fronts lasted :rolleyes: Rears I had to replace too as one had a tack, and I always prefer to replace tyres in pairs for equal grip on both sides. Better than the stock brakes which lasted 8,000 though.

However since having the fast road setup the fronts are wearing much better. The fronts before were worn only on the sides due to one wheel being positive and the other negative camber so would easily have had another ~3000-5000 miles if suspension was setup correctly.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
What is the treadwear rating on the Yoko 19's? that is the standard benchmark for wear other than geometry settings ?
All this mine lasted X miles, mine lasted Y is so down to use its not relevant.
Some people use/abuse their cars acceleration and braking, some people are steady so official treadwear ratings are the key IMO :idea:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've just had my year service and at just under 5000 miles the report from the garage is that I have only 3mm left on the front tyres! Now I know garages can't really be trusted but if it is anything like 3mm after 5000 miles I will be a little shocked.

I do plan to get the FRS done soon so maybe I should get that done sooner rather than later if they are going to wear at that rate.

Even so I would still rather have Yokos than Bridgestones.

·
Banned
165 Posts
My Car ate the Yoko's alive..I had the fronts changed at around 15K miles.

I've now got Michilen Pilot Sports on the Front and Yoko's on the back..I will see how many miles the Michilen's last.

·
Registered
299 Posts
my yoko's lasted about 14k miles then onto conti sport contact 3's which lasted a bit longer, then dunlops which currently have about 14/5 k miles on them and still have loads of tread left. havent noticed much difference in terms of grip between them either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
frs

9,000 miles my fronts lasted :rolleyes: Rears I had to replace too as one had a tack, and I always prefer to replace tyres in pairs for equal grip on both sides. Better than the stock brakes which lasted 8,000 though.

However since having the fast road setup the fronts are wearing much better. The fronts before were worn only on the sides due to one wheel being positive and the other negative camber so would easily have had another ~3000-5000 miles if suspension was setup correctly.
Hi Griffyn, how much did it cost for the fast road setup?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I am still lost as to the FRS being the be all and end all of tyre wear, mine is still factory set and the tyres are wearing great for a front wheel drive car, over 17k miles already on the originals.

Sometimes i thnk marketing is the biggest factor and people convince themselves its needed :(

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
I've just had my year service and at just under 5000 miles the report from the garage is that I have only 3mm left on the front tyres! Now I know garages can't really be trusted but if it is anything like 3mm after 5000 miles I will be a little shocked.

I do plan to get the FRS done soon so maybe I should get that done sooner rather than later if they are going to wear at that rate.

Even so I would still rather have Yokos than Bridgestones.
So, you unable to measure depths yourself?? maybe your lead filled right boot may be at fault???

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Its not just about the camber. The frs also adjusts the tracking.

After less than 1000 miles of use and checking my tyre pressure every week even tho I only used the car once in a blue moon my Yoko's were scrubbing on the outer edges looking like something from Stella's pictures which isn't how a new car should be.

Since having the FRS done its significantly improved the tyre wear and eliminated the scrubbing round the outer edges which I believe can be a common issue with Yoko's

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Hi Angie,where did you get your frs done?and how much did it cost.Thanks!
Hi Gordon, I got mines done at ABP and it cost me £125. Not sure of anyone up here who does it unfortunately. Not even heard anyone else on Type R Scotland mentioning anywhere up here.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Hi Angie,where did you get your frs done?and how much did it cost.Thanks!
Hi Gordon, I got mines done at ABP and it cost me £125. Not sure of anyone up here who does it unfortunately. Not even heard anyone else on Type R Scotland mentioning anywhere up here.
If you fancy a drive gor7don we have a FRS Group Buy set up with ABP for £105 :D

I realise it is a long way for you though. :(

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/abp-motorsport/19061-frs-group-buy.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts