2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
forgive me ifg this is a dumb queston but i do alot of miles with a 1 hr commute along the motorway everyday ive had my CTR GT since feb, i know the manual says that the tires have indicator lines that show when the tread is down to a certain level, im not sure if mine are ready yet tho are the lines a different colour ie red?? or do they just run down the middle of the tyre??

·
Registered
872 Posts
you've got a tread marker line and a mininum tread marker line as well running across the tyres at several points. the latter is 1.6mm deep being the minimum legal tread depth. i always change mine at 2mm else i find my CTR floating on the M1's surface water at 70 mph in a heavy downpoor.

·
Helpee
126 Posts
Most tyre manufacturers/fitters now recommend changing at 3mm depth (legal as spud said is 1.6mm)

They recommend this for safety reasons and have tests to prove it.... (though being cynical I think this maybe for profit reasons as well :) )

It obviously makes sense though that the more tread depth the better the water will be channelled away in heavy rain.

Regarding wear indicators a quote from the local company I use:

Most car type tyres have tread wear indicators, usually at least six small ribs across the bottom of the main tread grooves, and when the tread surface becomes level with these ribs the tyre is at the legal limit and must be replaced.

Hard to explain but if you examine your tyres carefully you will see the the raised humps in the bottom of the tread running across the tyre.

Also it's best to have the same tyres on all 4 corners, so swap front to rear occasionally to even tyre wear out. Make sure front to rear are swapped on the same side if they are directional ;-)

·
Registered
275 Posts
buy a tread depth guage from halfords. preaty self explanitary useing one. other than that if your a bit unsure a honda dealer will give you a free health check which covers tyres.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks didnt know halfords did them, im planning a raid in there on sunday so ill pick 1 up there! :cool: cheers!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I change mine at about 3mm, they really start to lose grip in the wet then...
I do the same (with all cars) - especially when winter approaches. In spring I might let them go a bit lower, but never down to the legal minimum.

It really is not worth risking an accident - through losing grip in the wet - just to delay spending out on new tyres for a couple of months.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Ditto ...

The 1/16" (1.6mm) legal limit is fine - maybe - if you are driviing a milk float at 20mph ....

I've always changed tyres at 2 x the legal limit - i.e. 1/8" (3mm) or so ...

There are plenty of independent tests that confirm the very sharp reduction in grip and significant increase in braking distances when you drop below 3mm of tread ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts