2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning folks...

Yesterday I got my new drop links (went for the Meyle HD ones) as Honda advised my current ones were weakened when I went for their 'Winter Health Check' - As I was changing them (quick and easy job) I realised my current ones were perfectly fine so that was a bit annoying... While I was under my car I also did the sub frame clean up (didn't have an issue with it but thought I may as well), also very easy thanks to this site!

While I was changing the drop links I notice that my passenger front tyre had a bulge (must of been a damn pot hole as I haven't curbed them) and after some shopping about I got 2 Eagle F1 Asy 2's with front tracking for £198, the only problem is they've fitted XL tyres... not sure if I should ring them and get them changed to the standard ones?

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I'm pretty sure, someone will correct me if i'm wrong. the xl stands for extra load, meaning the side walls are firmer, not a bad thing.;)

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
Personally I'd get the non XL's, not that I've tried them but I find the non's ride just about right for me. Depends how you'll be using her I guess...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
From Auto Express tyre guide...

"I’ve often seen ‘XL’ stamped on tyres. What does this mean, and is there a performance advantage?

XL stands for Extra Load – or is sometimes referred to as Reinforced. Essentially, tyres bearing this stamp are designed for heavy cars rather than ones that carry big loads. Not only are they constructed to cope with weight, but also the higher tyre pressure these vehicles need to run at. This marking is usually found on lower-profile tyres used on large cars. It highlights the fact they are built to a higher weight rating, as there is nearly always a standard version in the same size in the maker’s range."

Meyle droplinks are a good upgrade, imo, especially if you plan performance mods. OEM ones look like cocktail sticks !

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Personally I'd get the non XL's, not that I've tried them but I find the non's ride just about right for me. Depends how you'll be using her I guess...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

...and what diameter rims you have, and whether you've upgraded the suspension.

I have XL F1s on my 2.2, on 18" rims inflated to 36 psi.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the Meyle HD drop links do seem to be a lot better i was just annoyed as Honda said they needed to be replaced and they didn't. but its done now.

And the only thing I'm really planning is a stage 1 remap, I have 17" rims and the tyres are 225/45/17 - so not sure if I should go back to where I got them from and ask for the standard ones, I didnt request XL tyres, the only thing i requested was 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 2 Tyres - I don't even know what tyre pressure they put in or what tyre pressure the XL ones would need to be on my rims?

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Come on, if you want to pick our brains join up and get a badge. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts