2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I will need two new tyres on the front of my 2.2 EX in the coming months as they are starting to wear quiet badly on the near side outer edge. I have been told this is normal as the car does a lot of town driving, has anyone else had this?

So, looking at previous threads and searching the online tyre sites the options for the 225/60/18s are as follows.

Dunlop Grandtrek ST30
Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
Michelin Latitude Tour HP
CONTINENTAL 4X4 CONTACT

Has anyone had experience of the non-Dunlop tyres on the 18-inch rims?

The Dunlops have been very good but I would like a quieter tyre which may not wear a quickly on the edge?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

http://tyres.theaa.com/aa/search/tyredetails.aspx?code=2256018CT2H

·
Registered
356 Posts
Never heard of a car wearing its tyres edges because of being driven in town, have you had the tracking checked?
Having tried many tyre brands over the years i have found Goodyears to be the best overall.
I use F1 assymetrics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I had the tracking checked and they said it was fine, just a characteristic of the CRV when used around town cornering a lot?

Thanks for the Goodyear recommendation I will look further but I don’t seem to be able to find them in the right size..

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
I also have F1 assymetrics on mine and am impressed with them.

They also sit about 5mm further out than the alloys, which i find very handy as I havent had any scuffs since i had them fitted lol

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Have Goodyear wranglers on my 16'' rims.
the best tyre I have ever run on my crv in 6 years.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As you may have seen on other threads I am interested in this (before I have to find something in a hurry to stay legal) I think the other posters mentioning F1's don't realise the thread is on the CRV board. I have used F1's on my Accord and they were excellent but they are crap in the cold let alone snow and would completely 'miss the point' of a 4x4! - also they are as noisy as hell.

Moving on, I am interested in the Continentals, they seem to be £20-30 more expensive than the Dunlops though. Our other car a Kia Sportage has Continental Cross Contact UHP's (ultra high performance?) which are remarkably good, in fact they make the Kia out-handle the CRV! The wear is terrible but for low mileage use with my wife and kids in nothing is too good.

I need to get hold of someone at work who said he had Continental Contacts on his CRV and get some proper info.

I perfectly understand your tyre edge wear, my wifes car gets it a lot as its constantly around town. A front heavy car constantly doing tight town turns is bound to lean on the shoulder and wear it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the post sillygoose, sounds like we are in the boat. I have read very good things about Continental tyres so I would be interested to hear what your colleague says about them on the CRV. I must admit the Dunlops have been great but I just find them a little noisy at 70mph + on a motorway. The Dunlops were very good in the snow last year and have been a great all-round tyre so I would be a little apprehensive to move away from these without a recommendation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes my F1 recommendation was based on me thinking it was a civic not CRV, Goodyears are still good but the Continentals as mentioned above always seem to come out well in tests.

Still dont follow this heavy edge wear around town, i gun my car hard on twisty B roads, surely this puts a much bigger load on the edges than 20 mph around a roundabout.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting point regarding the tyre wear Andrew, Anyone else with 18 inch wheels on their CRV experienced outside edge tyre wear?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes my F1 recommendation was based on me thinking it was a civic not CRV, Goodyears are still good but the Continentals as mentioned above always seem to come out well in tests.

Still dont follow this heavy edge wear around town, i gun my car hard on twisty B roads, surely this puts a much bigger load on the edges than 20 mph around a roundabout.
Well F1's and other road tyres are very flat faced and firm also CR-V are on higher profile 60 tyres, they are M&S mud and snow build as well as road use so its not a straight comparison really.

...and only 20mph around a roundabout? not on my watch! ;)

CRVNorth will get back to here when I get a chance to speak to my colleague next week.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Sillygoose,

Did you catch up with your colleague regarding the Continentals he has on his CRV? I noticed the post form luisvale who was singing the praises of the Geolanders, I had these on our previous RAV4 and they were very good in all weather and they were very quiet, all be it on 17" rims.

Anybody else had experience of Geolanders on a CRV with 18” rims, or other tyres brands than the Dunlops?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi CRVNorth,

Yes I did speak to him (before he retired) even he, as a careful old codger had squealing issues with the Dunlops! (made me feel less a loony)

He rated them much better in all categories, but at our size they are expensive, I think £160 for Dunlops, £190 for the Conti's

Now to be honest I am sure someone 20 years older than me probably doesn't drive like me so its hard to say how good they are relatively, but they sounded to be clearly better than the Dunlops according to this guy who had gone from one straight to the other on a CRV, so any tangible improvement, that can't be a bad thing.

Now the Yoko's really interest me, they seem very well priced (£141 fitted via Blackcircles), cheaper than the Dunlops and the websites rate them well as far as I can see.

A very high possibility I will give the Yoko's a spin :roll: just as soon as I can scrape enough rubber off the horrible Dunlops to justify it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Sillygoose

Thanks for the feedback on the Continentals, they sound very good but at a price and I have heard they can wear quickly.

The Yokos tempt me, as they do get good reviews on the likes of RAV4 and Xtrails so I will keep looking for more CRV reviews, as I will need to change the tyres before the winter.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Seems they are rather poor in the snow !!!

Rather difficult for me to get snow here in Portugal :) :) :)

Following my other post, this week we had some rain, and as usual slippery roads with the first rain drops, and I didn't noticed nothing unusual with the Yoko's, i.e. they grip same or slightly better than the Dunlop's, and the Stability Control lights come on more often :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had four Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 on my 07 CRV for 18 months. There a perfectly good tyre. Got mine from Black Circles great service. They seem to be lasting ok doing the kind of milage I do which is mostly main roads and motorway stuff. Grip is fine and the EPS has never activated in normal road conditions and they worked prefectly well in the snow we had last winter and anyway why buy a tyre for its snow performance in a country where for 50 weeks as year there's no snow.
Can't comment on road noise as I've nothing to conmpare them to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some interesting comments on the Yokohama's here ...

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 Tire Reviews (68 Reviews)

Seems they are rather poor in the snow !!!

Interesting - although I am not sure Canadians would have higher expectations than us - anyone seen ice-road truckers on TV? :p

I'ts hard to be sure if in the US/Canada they even have the same tyre formula or manufacture as in UK/europe, you can even get a particular tyre here that differs widely in performance dpending on where it was made.

Thing is I'm not too worried about really good snow performance as long as the car keeps moving steadily which is largely down to the CR-V's ground clearance and 4 wheel drive regardless of tyres. As has been mentioned it only has to get you through the worst of 2-3 weeks a year.

Not totally put off...!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had four Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 on my 07 CRV for 18 months. There a perfectly good tyre. Got mine from Black Circles great service. They seem to be lasting ok doing the kind of milage I do which is mostly main roads and motorway stuff. Grip is fine and the EPS has never activated in normal road conditions and they worked prefectly well in the snow we had last winter and anyway why buy a tyre for its snow performance in a country where for 50 weeks as year there's no snow.
Can't comment on road noise as I've nothing to conmpare them to.
Just reassure me they don't SQUEAL around roundabouts like a herd of pigs with their tails on fire (Dunlop what were you thinking?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only time I've ever heard them squeal is on the town centre rooftop car park which has a polished bitumen surface and that's only when it's hot and everyone elses tyres do the same. On normal roads I've never heard anything. However I don't know how your driving style. I'm steady away and I tend not to push the front into a bend if you know what I mean.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
USA \ Canada spec. tyres are generally poor but cheap - don't be fooled by the make and type described - just because they have the same 'name' as European tyres means nothing ...

I've driven a few 4x4s \ SUVs over there - the handling and grip are usually rubbish ...

You can get 'European' spec. tyres there - at a price - but, often hard to find, or special order only ...

As for the Europe, I'd never have "town and country" etc. tyres on any car that is only driven on tarmac - you really need both Summer and Winter shoes ...

Reactions: sillygoose0
1 - 20 of 46 Posts