2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tyre's have people got on their cars because if its bit damp and I drop it into third to overtake and hit VTEC I'm spinning the tyres up and front end is snaking all over the place lol

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Don't think tyres would make a difference.

Yes they will a big difference, a cheap tyre can have really poor wet grip that is about as sticky as chip fat to a Teflon pan while a good wet weather tyre would stick like s%^t to a blanket ;)

You get what you pay for with tyres always and it is the only thing that keeps the car under control and pointing the right way.

for example a good tyre http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/225/40/R18/W/92/f?returnurl=/order/tyres?&width=225&profile=40&rim=18&speed=any&tyre=30862498

review I cannot believe the Goodyear tyres make compared to the budgets I had on before. The noise reduction is unbelievable, never again will I buy budget - Goodyears all the way

and a cheap tyre http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/blackcircles-com/value-choice/225/40/R18/W/92/f?returnurl=/order/tyres?&width=225&profile=40&rim=18&speed=any&tyre=33516131

review
When you just need to keep a car legal, this option was ideal. Two 255x35x18 tyres for £150?! Done. Trading down from Dunlop Sport Maxx I wasn't expecting much.. and honestly, you can sense the reduction in grip straight away in the dry and I found the tyre is more prone to aquaplane. Drive within the limit of the tyre however and it should last you 20k miles as mine did!! For the price, amazing.,

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I certainly wouldn't be spending that much on Eagle F1's when there are tyres like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta around...

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I certainly wouldn't be spending that much on Eagle F1's when there are tyres like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta around...
Yeah I had a set of these years ago and the grip is awesome but they are very soft and Wear quickly making them not very good value for money in my opinion especially when you shop around you can find the good years ago around 85 each.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I'm running michelin pilot sport 3 on back and 4s on the front and grips really well

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Yeah I had a set of these years ago and the grip is awesome but they are very soft and Wear quickly making them not very good value for money in my opinion especially when you shop around you can find the good years ago around 85 each.
I managed to get two eagle F1's fully fitted for £130. Much better than the budget rubbish the garage put on before I bought the car.

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
I'm running pilot sport 3s all round and they are very good in the wet and dry! Very impressed!

As rick said, tyres make a huge difference! People neglect tyres, which they should do at their own peril.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Far point but I just paid £56 per corner for the vreds so you could have two sets for the price noted earlier... And having run the F1s I found they got noisy as they wore down and absolutely useless in anything cold and slushy or snowy. :)

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
And having run the F1s I found they got noisy as they wore down and absolutely useless in anything cold and slushy or snowy. :)

to be honest I am not surprised as they are a summer tyre designed for a high performance car and not a winter tyre designed for snow

·
Fox Main
66 Posts
Just had Yokohama blue earths on, as they were an A for wet grip on black circles, and had a tenner or fifteen quid off I think; set me back £89 per tyre.

Comparable to the Conti sports that were taken off to replace.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
to be honest I am not surprised as they are a summer tyre designed for a high performance car and not a winter tyre designed for snow
Yes I'm well aware of that! I've run the F1's...

The point I was making was that the tread design (basically three circumferential sipes and no cross sipes) is poor. Other tyres, with a different tread layout (the Vredestien Sessanatas or Sportrac 3's for instance, or a Rainsport 3 with a decent tread design) perform equally well in summer but far better than the F1's in other conditions.

I've run the F1's and dn't get me wrong, in summer they are good, but they are a one horse pony. In about 1cm of light slush or snow haven't been able to get off my drive, the car sat there with the front wheels spinning at tickover. That to me is a poor tyre design and has never happened with any other tyres I've had fitted in 30 years of driving.

Personally I'd rather have a tyre that performs as well as the F1's in summer but also performs better than them in the other conditions that we meet for a large proportion of our year here in the UK. I therefore avoid tyres with the same type of tread layout as the F1's, do my research and find something else better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts