2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this video and thought you guys might like it. Its from tyre reviews and he goes over the ps4, eagle F1 A5 and Conti PremContact 6

Interesting how he mentioned the ps4 to out perform the other two on paper but says it lacks the dynamics of the other two.

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
sums up bassicly my personal views
contis always found them hard and noisy and tend to ware a little funny
Michelins good but maybe little over priced
ill admit not a lot of experience with good years but d0 have 2 waiting to go on my civic as reviews were ok and as the vid says they were a good bit cheaper so decided to try them

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
Goodyear AS3 are good, waiting until they wear out then looking to put AS5 on.
Definitely cheaper than Michelin depending on deals but not by huge margin.

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
I can get good year f1 asymmetric 5 for £71.55 each
Michelin ps4 £88.70 each but that's fitting myself

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never knew you could get the f1 as5 for that cheap but then again most places include fitting in their price.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Speaking from experience, when I bought my FN2 in December 2019 it had the Eagle F1 A5 fitted with about 70% tread remaining. I was stunned to find they had worn themselves down extremely quickly only several months later. I also found them to lack in traction/grip especially in the wet. I decided to bite the bullet and go for the Michelin PS4 S's a couple months ago and I have the 19" Rage alloys so it wasn't cheap! £720 including fitting and alignment 😬
The PS4 S's have really been the first set of tyres that have ever blown me away. Incredible grip even in the rain and wet, much more than the Eagles. I find that they are however SLIGHTLY noisier but it might just be me if they even are at all. I initially wanted the PS4 only to find out they don't make them in 19", max was 18" so I was forced to go with the PS4S which was much more expensive

Personally even though the PS4 S's are pricey, especially if you have the 19" rage wheels, they should last long enough to make it still worthwhile for me. With a set of really nice coilovers I feel like I could take any corner at any speed and she will just grip grip and grip! 🤣

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The PS4s are a step above the options available in the video. Truly excellent tyres!

·
i-Vtec
2,785 Posts
Michelin really are the best tyre manufacturer, but you pay the price. For the money Goodyears are very good tyres. My Asymmetric 3's are at 19k and have about 4mm left. I will need a full set of tyres before, or for, next winter and TBH even medium range tyres are not that much cheaper than Goodyears.

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
Michelin really are the best tyre manufacturer, but you pay the price. For the money Goodyears are very good tyres. My Asymmetric 3's are at 19k and have about 4mm left. I will need a full set of tyres before, or for, next winter and TBH even medium range tyres are not that much cheaper than Goodyears.
My AS3s are on about the same tread after 18k miles. Never had any issues with grip except when booting off a wet roundabout once.

·
i-Vtec
2,785 Posts
My AS3s are on about the same tread after 18k miles. Never had any issues with grip except when booting off a wet roundabout once.
I did notice a drop off in cold wet performance this winter, but tbh you just drive to the conditions. I really did fancy putting Yokohama's on next time around but they are more expensive than Goodyears, so why would I?

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
I did notice a drop off in cold wet performance this winter, but tbh you just drive to the conditions. I really did fancy putting Yokohama's on next time around but they are more expensive than Goodyears, so why would I?
ive just replaced the yokos from the back of mine never had a issue with them but cant wait to get the Pirellis off the front don't rate them at all
even with the low power of the 1.6 diesel they like spinning pulling out of damp junctions

I got very good deal on 4 pilot sport 4's
2 will go on as soon as I get 2 wheels back from refurb then the 2 with the Pirellis on will go to get refurbed

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
Is there any update on this? Still ps4 are the best?
different feel and driving style will make some prefer a different tyre to others
and it all depends what you class as best longer lasting with good feel
or best performance with decent ware level

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
i've got ps4s's on the FK2R now - thought they'd be good for road&trackday use but not too good for hard track. once done, i'll be going back to dunlop rt2's as a pure road tyre. it's hard for me to justfy the cost of ps4s's for road-only based on cost of other tyres. Maybe i'll try goodyear or hankook but hard to find fault with the rt2 on the road.
i wont be touching cup2 or csc6's again for road-only. they're just too dry-weather orientated. other tyres have so far been much of a muchness.

as a discalimer though - it's hard to push the FK2R on the road to exhibit tyre limits. so i'm basing my thoughts on about 80% of the limit - nothing makes the ps4s's stand out against any other tyre really.

Reactions: NPC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just put Mich PS4 on my FN2 TR and I'm pretty happy with them, took them on track last week and they very pretty good. Not bad in rain either. I've had these on a 360bhp RWD BMW and they were astonishing on that. When they were down to 1mm before replacing, I was oversteering out of any round about with moderate acceleration. When I put the new ones on, I could put full throttle down and it just tried to rip the tarmac up. Quite incredible. And also very confidence inspiring in the wet. Not had enough time in the civic on the roads to get a really good feel, but based on the track experience, I'm expecting the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just put Mich PS4 on my FN2
Here is the PS4 on track with totally standard car. I have only owned the car for a week and only driven it on motorways before taking it on track, so I'm not exactly pushing it, but gives you an idea of grip.

·
Registered
172 Posts
They look really planted, nice driving to 👍🏼
I'm leaning towards PS4s as well, but my commute may change to 70-80mile a day so may need a more durable tyre

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
how was the outer edge? i found they got chewed up on the FK2R. noticably worn shoulder with heavy feathering. you'd probably eat the edges before the main tread wore down.
still better than the dunlop rt2's faired on track. those chunked and tore showing cords.

Reactions: NPC
1 - 20 of 24 Posts