2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you on here will know, been constantly striving to keep lower the weight in my FD2 for better handling and power/weight ratio. So I fitted these ultra-lightweight Oz Alleggerita rims a couple of weeks ago in 17 x 8 plus Yokohama AD08s. The rims weigh just 7.04kg per piece and coupled with the amazing rubber, I've been blown away with how good the handling is just now. Obviously, the smaller rim size lowers unsprung weight (compared to 18-inch Rota P1s I had) but another bonus is that with a higher sidewall, there's just good bit more compliancy in the tyre, which makes the handling over typical A/B roads so much better (and more comfortable). However, this doesn't come with any penalty as the steering is stuning - so pin sharp and precise with masses of feedback - and the grip is just out of this world (time for a baffled sump!). Here's what they look like...

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
They look really good Andy, the wheels don't look lost in the arches which is always a worry when downsizing.:)

Will have to look at AD08s when I next need tyres being as everyone raves about them.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul - I can't recommend the AD08s enough. Their characteristics seem so well suited for FWD Type Rs :) As for wet weather grip that some people worry about, it's still very good indeed just not stunningly good (as is the dry grip). I guarantee you will NOT regret getting a set :)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Nuno - comments much appreciated :) I was originally thinking of Pilot Super Sports for rubber but we can't get them in the sizes we need here in the UK :(

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Hi Lunar Tick, (That just does not sound right it sounds like I am calling you a Lunar Tick lol I am not tho) I really like your ultra-lightweight 17in Oz Alleggeritas on your FD2. It's a really nice looking car/colour and I think I agree with the other guys that they fill the arches just enough. Superb, just noticed you live in one of my favourite places cumbria Yippeee!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Lunar Tick, (That just does not sound right it sounds like I am calling you a Lunar Tick lol I am not tho) I really like your ultra-lightweight 17in Oz Alleggeritas on your FD2. It's a really nice looking car/colour and I think I agree with the other guys that they fill the arches just enough. Superb, just noticed you live in one of my favourite places cumbria Yippeee!! :cool:
Cheers Pete. The colour is actually called 'Titanium Tech'. It's a kind of greyish colour but it glints silver-ish in certain lighting depending what angle you view it from. If you're ever up this way, let me know and I'll take you for a spin :)

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Cheers Pete. The colour is actually called 'Titanium Tech'. It's a kind of greyish colour but it glints silver-ish in certain lighting depending what angle you view it from. If you're ever up this way, let me know and I'll take you for a spin :)
Cheers fella, I really would be interested in a spin lol;). Doubt I will ever get to the lakes for a long time yet tho, long story lol. If you don't mind me asking did you purchase your car at a Honda dealer or did you get it imported through someone like litchfield Imports just curious as I have always liked both the EP3, FN2 and FD2 and to be honest think honda missed out on a great thing they should of made the FD2 more freely available in the UK.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Those wheels look really nice suit the car aswell. Ive got a set of 17's on my car with the same rubber and like you said the difference is well worth it, comfort and handling :)

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Ahhh they look really nice! Good choice ;-)

Reactions: Lunar Tick

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers fella, I really would be interested in a spin lol;). Doubt I will ever get to the lakes for a long time yet tho, long story lol. If you don't mind me asking did you purchase your car at a Honda dealer or did you get it imported through someone like litchfield Imports just curious as I have always liked both the EP3, FN2 and FD2 and to be honest think honda missed out on a great thing they should of made the FD2 more freely available in the UK.
Honda never made this car available in the UK. Mine was a Litchfield import but a couple of other companies also brought them over. The supply of fresh FD2s into the UK has pretty much dried up now due to the v poor £/Yen exchange rate :(

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Those wheels look really nice suit the car aswell. Ive got a set of 17's on my car with the same rubber and like you said the difference is well worth it, comfort and handling :)
Is there a lot of difference between the 18 and 17"?? Do you notice the 1" drop in height or not, scared of catching on speed bumps lol!

And lunar, your car is gorgeous!!! Those wheels really suit the car.
I really want to find a set of 17x9 desmond regamasters!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers Danny. And BTW, if you compare the overall wheel diameter (rim plus tyre) of 225/40/18 tyres on 18 inch rims and 225/45/17 tyres on 17s, you'll see that they're virtually identical - ie the car will sit at almost exactly the same height. Therefore you can swap between 225/40/18 and 225/45/17 without having to make any suspension or geometry adjustments :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Cheers Danny. And BTW, if you compare the overall wheel diameter (rim plus tyre) of 225/40/18 tyres on 18 inch rims and 225/45/17 tyres on 17s, you'll see that they're virtually identical - ie the car will sit at almost exactly the same height. Therefore you can swap between 225/40/18 and 225/45/17 without having to make any suspension or geometry adjustments :)
awesome thank you!! Looks like its time to go on the hunt for some regamasters haha!!

Is there an actual website for desmond wheels?? Or are they that rare??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 26 Posts