2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was playing with a UV LED torch (like the kind you get with security marker pens) when it occured to me, that it would be oh so very cool to install them in the car.

I don't know if it'd be better where the blue courtesy light is at the moment, or to replace the full interior lights like the blue LED intallation.

I'm sure it would be a simple and cheap(ish) job, just a little knowledge is needed, and some courage to take screwdriver and soldering iron to the car!

What do you guys thing of a ultra-violet lighting in your civics???

I won't start a poll, but your opinions, please!

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Might look a little odd, you know what ultra-violet does to stains, bits of fluff and white underwear under cloths. Mind you with the 3rd in mind.................. gotta be worth a go. can you get UV led bulbs or are you gonna have to fashion your own?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
richierich said:
Might look a little odd, you know what ultra-violet does to stains, bits of fluff and white underwear under cloths. Mind you with the 3rd in mind.................. gotta be worth a go. can you get UV led bulbs or are you gonna have to fashion your own?
No, what does UV do to stains? I have heard of using UV light to look for a certain kind of stain on bedclothes etc, in which case I think I would like to keep those kinds of stains secret...

Yes, UV LEDs are easy to get hold of, I wonder if the blue light in the ceiling near the roof blind button is an LED, in which case it may be a staright swap.

You know, I really thought I was onto something suggesting this, but it has been about as popular as Honda's idea of not giving the Civic a spare wheel... :oops:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
UV light makes phosphors glow, there are plenty of naturally occuring phosphors, the bedclothes ones are one type, urine is another, and a lot of washing powders tend to have them in to make whites look "bright white", you often see washing powder residue left on clothes, or bits of lint that are on the clothes you are wearing.

But imagine if you had been stood a little close to the urinal, and get back in the car!!

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
richierich said:
But imagine if you had been stood a little close to the urinal, and get back in the car!!
Or the guy at the next urinal turns to say something to you :lol:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
All that said, it is a good idea Bungle, don't be put off, its just petty jealousy, we wish we had thought of it. You can always take them out.

On the subject of LED's but well off topic in other ways. I am best man at a wedding next year that could involve a kilt, I was thinking of pimping the kilt with some LED's under it, bit like the sideskirt glow the boy racers have on their pimped up cars. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The (Aldi's?) flexible light bar that was posted on the lights section a while ago? You'd need a big power source for that though. It would be easy to wire up a chain of LEDs of a 9v battery under a kilt, but it would produce a series of points of light, rather than a uniform glow from under your kilt. Are you trying to give the illusion the sun really does shine out your... never mind! :wink:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Bungle said:
The (Aldi's?) flexible light bar that was posted on the lights section a while ago? You'd need a big power source for that though. It would be easy to wire up a chain of LEDs of a 9v battery under a kilt, but it would produce a series of points of light, rather than a uniform glow from under your kilt. Are you trying to give the illusion the sun really does shine out your... never mind! :wink:
Yes.

But in all seriousness, I just thought it might be a bit of fun, and also if there are lights shining down it might obscure the pictures people will always try and get with their camera phones. I'm not even Scottish, but the Bride is and wants Kilts

Reactions: bananaman
1 - 9 of 9 Posts