2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today started great for me. Drove about 200 yards away from my house & a other driver of a vehicle smashed my drivers mirror. Took a right battering!!! To my complete amazement the other driver attempted to drive off. I say attempted because I literally had to chase them to pull over.

When the lady got out of her car she quickly realised just how much of a mess my car was & started to apologise & accept liability.

Now I'm not a horrible person and I accept that people make mistakes but I was fuming that she tried to drive off. But as she was a woman on her own I didn't let this show as the last thing I wanted to do was scare her.

The impact almost smashed my drivers window, so that gives you an indication of impact speeds, although I was only doing around 25mph.

Just called Honda & confirmed it's going to be about £350 for the lot, which is a little expensive. So I've just told her about this and she explained that she was too busy to talk about it now but would call later when she has.

Although I've got her address etc, I just can't get my breathe about some people and I can guarantee it will be me forking up this cost. I would imagine while I'm typing this she's coming up with a story as to why she won't be accepting liability.

If she doesn't I won't be going through my insurance as it will only be a matter of proving who was to blame.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
If I were in your position I'd ring the insurance company, tell them what happened and that there is the possibility of a claim (but you are trying to resolve the situation). The problem with these sorts of claims is that it's more complex to prove liability one way or another if both vehicles are moving. At least if you notify your Insurers it's on record that you believe the other party has accepted liability, while everything is fresh in your mind.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Don't tell your insurance company anything until you have to. Even phoning them up to say there "might" be a claim will go down on your insurance and increase your premium.
There was a bit on TV a few months back about this - people getting their premiums increased after calling up the insurance to check something on their policy because each call to them is classed in the same way!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Don't tell your insurance company anything until you have to. Even phoning them up to say there "might" be a claim will go down on your insurance and increase your premium.
There was a bit on TV a few months back about this - people getting their premiums increased after calling up the insurance to check something on their policy because each call to them is classed in the same way!
+1

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
dont tell your insurance company anything! phone her again and tell her she either speaks to you now or you phone the police and as she attempted to flee the scene thats not what she wants....

sent from my phone
As coste1l said above. Explain to her that you want this resolved as now or you'll be phoning the Police, (which you are entitled to do) for leaving the scene of an accident...

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
ok - so this happned to my cousin about a week ago - were there parked cars on her side of the road? if so you have right of way - if she has tried to Squeeze through a gap to small it obviously her fault. worth thinking back. hope u get it sorted

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
Did you take pictures of the scene, and also of both your cars? If so, and it's therefore easy to extrapolate from the damage to each car who went into whom, then your insurance will no way accept that you were to blame.

When someone tried to turn right from the left-hand lane and went into the side of me as I was taking my exit, my insurers were adamant from the start that it wasn't down to me.

All the panels on the passenger side of my car had to be replaced; her car just had a bit of a dent next to her headlight - so it was fairly obvious what had happened.

No need to necessarily expect the worst before you've even spoken to anyone...

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
The fact she drove off says it all. Unless pressured she wasn't even going to stop so it'll take a bit of pressure to make her pay. I'd leave insurance for now, but log the accident with the police. This happened to a friend and the other party were reluctant to pay. A quick friendly chat with a local bobby changed their mind. :)

I imagine she'll have a couple of excuses ready by the time she answers your call. Then again she may be loaded and have it sorted by the weekend.

·
Give it some beans!! :)
473 Posts
As said previously DONT tell your insurance company anything mate! I bet your excess would be more than what it costs to even sort it, hopefully the lady mentioned will come good and pay out for it as I doubt she will want to go through insurance for a small amount like that.

Hope it works out ok for you bud. :(

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
If I were in your position I'd ring the insurance company, tell them what happened and that there is the possibility of a claim (but you are trying to resolve the situation). The problem with these sorts of claims is that it's more complex to prove liability one way or another if both vehicles are moving. At least if you notify your Insurers it's on record that you believe the other party has accepted liability, while everything is fresh in your mind.
if you are going to sort this yourself dont tell your insurance as it will be listed as a non fault even though you haven't made a claim take it from me i made this mistake all because i let them know someone had scratched me car and when they said i would lose two years claims i said forget it i will pay for it myself when i renewed my insurance with someone else i didn't mention it i didn't relise i had to there reply you are meant to tell us if you've had any accidents in the last five years,so try and come to an agreement if you can.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
phone her again and tell her she either speaks to you now or you phone the police and as she attempted to flee the scene thats not what she wants.

Did you take pictures of the scene, and also of both your cars? If so, and it's therefore easy to extrapolate from the damage to each car who went into whom, then your insurance will no way accept that you were to blame
+1

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Firstly thank you for all advice etc. I already pretty much knew the direction I was going to go with this, but really appreciate all your kind words.

Sorry for delayed response, been away on business for last few days & generally had a hectic week.

Update;

Despite the other driver accepting liability of causing the accident at the roadside, as expected she has since back tracked & now won't talk to me. Instead her boyfriend calls me quoting a load of rubish.

I have truly been around the house's with them & they can only be described as complete clowns. But there final word was to go via insurance, seems strange I know especially when the damage was £300 & her excess is probably £150 ish maybe even more.

I was intitially happy with this especially as she had accepted liability, but when I rang her insurance company yesterday she had basically said it was 50% liability on either part. Going through insurance on this is simply not an option for me unless she'd accept 100% liabilty. My excess is £500 so it's completely stupid, but I'm guessing she & her partner know this, but still stupid when I'd offer to resolve outside insurance to help them etc.

So today, I've paid out of my pocket for the damage. But I'll be pressing charges against her for leaving the scene of an accident & me having to chase her. Best case scenario for me is that she'll get a fixed penalty & 3 points. That on top of her already contacting insurance is bound to hit her pocket.

When my insurance company contact me, which they will do. I'll just tell them I won't be proceeding with the claim and have sorted, that way it doesn't affect me at all.

Really tried to be genuine and honest with them throughout but I guess there is no helping some people.

On a positive note, my car will be back to normal tomorrow as it's booked into Honda at 8:30am.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
Firstly thank you for all advice etc. I already pretty much knew the direction I was going to go with this, but really appreciate all your kind words.

Sorry for delayed response, been away on business for last few days & generally had a hectic week.

Update;

Despite the other driver accepting liability of causing the accident at the roadside, as expected she has since back tracked & now won't talk to me. Instead her boyfriend calls me quoting a load of rubish.

I have truly been around the house's with them & they can only be described as complete clowns. But there final word was to go via insurance, seems strange I know especially when the damage was £300 & her excess is probably £150 ish maybe even more.

I was intitially happy with this especially as she had accepted liability, but when I rang her insurance company yesterday she had basically said it was 50% liability on either part. Going through insurance on this is simply not an option for me unless she'd accept 100% liabilty. My excess is £500 so it's completely stupid, but I'm guessing she & her partner know this, but still stupid when I'd offer to resolve outside insurance to help them etc.

So today, I've paid out of my pocket for the damage. But I'll be pressing charges against her for leaving the scene of an accident & me having to chase her. Best case scenario for me is that she'll get a fixed penalty & 3 points. That on top of her already contacting insurance is bound to hit her pocket.

When my insurance company contact me, which they will do. I'll just tell them I won't be proceeding with the claim and have sorted, that way it doesn't affect me at all.

Really tried to be genuine and honest with them throughout but I guess there is no helping some people.

On a positive note, my car will be back to normal tomorrow as it's booked into Honda at 8:30am.
sorry to have to say this but even with you sorting it yourself it will still be listed as a non fault and may effect your insurance.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.