2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

my 2.2 keeps bottoming-out on every bump and it really is doing my nut in now, so i have gone to check and see what can be done and noticed that i can push the undertray up a couple of inches with my hand. It seems there are lots of "fixings" missing.

Checked out Lings to see whats needed to fix it properly and its not really helping much, unidentifiable clips and bolts by the looks of it.

Checked out ebay, lots of clips and bolts on offer.

Does anyone know exactly what is needed and where? Or even better does anyone have pictures showing where clips and bolts go?

really want to get this sorted as its embarrassing hitting every bump with a loud scrape! So much so that the Mrs wont come in the car anymore!!

Help!!!! thanks in advance!

Jakey.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Where is it loose?

A couple of packs of 8mm and 10mm general Honda clips will secure some of it.

The front bumper corners need a couple for self tappers 6/8mm?

The central section uses bolts, 8mm?

If you or a mate have a spare bolts/screw bin, raid it for the odd fixing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is it loose?

A couple of packs of 8mm and 10mm general Honda clips will secure some of it.

The front bumper corners need a couple for self tappers 6/8mm?

The central section uses bolts, 8mm?

If you or a mate have a spare bolts/screw bin, raid it for the odd fixing.

Its loose at the front mainly, there is nothing securing the bumper to the undertray accross the front at all.

Pushing the front part of the tray doesnt really affect it either, it actually looks like it sags. Therr are no fixing pointd in the middle of the tray where the metal inspection cover (which is broken at some its fixibg points) is which makes it sag low. Yet the back corners and wheel arch fixings are secure.

No idea how to figure this one out, other than having it replaced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
If it's loose at the front then it needs fixing ASAP before it catches.

Basic clips hold the front on, in the middle at least. If you don't already have any then spend a few quid on some packs from eBay/etc.

Get underneath and sort it out.

Replacing it will be costly.

The other option is to remove it, tho you'll loose some aero and underside weather/salt protection.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well ive cable tied the metal cover as a temp fix, it seems like the original bolts and its fixing have long-gone.

Ive found some clips from my old ep3 bumper that have secured the front but im not holding out much hope of them lasting, but thats put pressure on the middle part of the tray and im not sure made much diffence to how low it hangs! There still seems to be a good inch or so of travel when hand pushed up...but there is no way to fix-it-up! I'll go over some bumps and let you know!

Slightly off-tangent spotted this fb post this morning - its a pic of the metal inspection cover removed - what is that its covering?

·
Oldboy-racer
908 Posts
It allows access to the sump drain plug.
The front flange 6mm bolts are special but they tend to seize and sheer off. One of mine did even though i put copperease grease when reassembling. They would need to be drilled and retapped.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It allows access to the sump drain plug.
The front flange 6mm bolts are special but they tend to seize and sheer off. One of mine did even though i put copperease grease when reassembling. They would need to be drilled and retapped.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Front flange? Do you mean where the bunper meets the undertray?

The metal cover broke loose from its fixings on the m4 on Saturday, the airflow clearly too strong!

Should I replace ot will it be ok to leave it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah same with the exhaust heat shielding - also prone to corrosion of the fixings.

Yeh thats broken too, somehow my mechnic has managed to hold it in place but it rattles on startup and switch off!

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Yeh thats broken too, somehow my mechnic has managed to hold it in place but it rattles on startup and switch off!

Honda just took mine off both rear and front for 1 hour labour. Apparently according to the dealership, it's not needed but a H&S requirement now on new cars to prevent fires from exhaust heat. However, they say Honda's are thick enough that there's no risk of appreciable heat getting to the carpets and on Hondas it's totally unnecessary to fit these. They also told me hundreds of vehicles just through their dealership had over the years had this removed without any issues. Obviously I can only go off what I've been told, but it's off mine now with no issues.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honda just took mine off both rear and front for 1 hour labour. Apparently according to the dealership, it's not needed but a H&S requirement now on new cars to prevent fires from exhaust heat. However, they say Honda's are thick enough that there's no risk of appreciable heat getting to the carpets and on Hondas it's totally unnecessary to fit these. They also told me hundreds of vehicles just through their dealership had over the years had this removed without any issues. Obviously I can only go off what I've been told, but it's off mine now with no issues.

Yeh its starting to rattle again, i think im gonna get it removed as its so annoying!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts