2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Have narrowed my choice for two new front tyres on the car to Uniroyal Rainsport 2 / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. Tyre shopper have matched camskill price on the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 including fitting for
£275.78 for both.

They could not match camskill price for goodyear eagle f1 aysmmetric as camskill have none in stock. Just wondering if anyone knows of a site that has a similar price to camskill for the goodyear tyres ?

Any type r owners with the uniroyals on ? How do you find them? I have seen the reviews here : Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide which are quite good.

Can also get Falken FK452 for £107 per corner but I see mixed reviews on these.

the rims are rages 225/35/R19

cheers

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Both are very good i would say, can only comment on the uniroyals though.

I have them on my car for about 12000 miles and i'm quite happy with them. Superb grip in the wet, good grip in the dry. Also pretty quiet tyre.
Degradation seems higher then my previous michelin pilot sports and i have already rotated my tyres after 10000 miles but mainly because i want the tyres to still have good thread for its wet grip.

My next tyre will probably be the continental sportcontact 5, have you looked into that one? They will be pricey i reckon.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi mate ,

thanks for the reply...

The Uniroyal sounds like a decent tyre. Problem is that there is so much choice and difficult to choose.

Based on its reviews , it comes 3rd out out of 23 tyres which isnt bad based on peoples experiences. This is however for the Type R , may be different for other cars.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 89%
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 87%
Uniroyal Rainsport 2 86%

I had seen the conti 5 for £175 a corner , but I wonder with some tyres are you paying just for the name ? Like most things.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I had the uniroyals fitted to mine when i needed tyres a month or two back. Cannot pick a fault with them!! Considering the weather we have in this country is mostly rain!! Note though the uniroyals are a softer rubber compound and may wear quicker!!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hi mate ,

thanks for the reply...

The Uniroyal sounds like a decent tyre. Problem is that there is so much choice and difficult to choose.

Based on its reviews , it comes 3rd out out of 23 tyres which isnt bad based on peoples experiences. This is however for the Type R , may be different for other cars.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 89%
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 87%
Uniroyal Rainsport 2 86%

I had seen the conti 5 for £175 a corner , but I wonder with some tyres are you paying just for the name ? Like most things.
I dont think you pay extra for the name of a brand.

Cheap tyres are just a nightmare to have on you car, tyres are one of the most important aspects of a car so i dont mind spending a bit extra on them. They are whats connecting you to the road and i want to be confident about them.

Get cheap tyres and you can expect them to under perform versus the more expensive ones. And even that is not guarantueed, i swapped my ps2's because i had some aquaplanning incidents with them and had zero confidence in the rain, i still have two imaculate tyres in a shed waisting away.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So would you consider the Uniroyal a cheapish Mid Range tyre then ? Also if im looking at 7000 miles out of them we can forget it altogether:p

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
So would you consider the Uniroyal a cheapish Mid Range tyre then ? Also if im looking at 7000 miles out of them we can forget it altogether:p

I wouldnt say the Uniroyal rainsport 2 is a cheap tyre.
Nor is it mid range, its categorised as a sports tyre.

And as i said before, i'm happy with mine but thats just the humble 1.8 type-S ;) I dont know how you drive your R, i occasionally trash my 1.8 but thats maybe 5% of the time. I think i enjoy my car in other ways then costell ;)

Perhaps its better to go for a harder compound tyre then. Michelins last very long, i did about 19000 miles with one pair of ps2's at the front.
Cant really comment on other brands.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grip is everything and soft compounds give the best grip but dont last as long i think the falkens are a good compromise of price and performance
I think I will push ahead with the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 , as already mentioned it gets rave reviews in wet conditions and couldnt be any worse than the Yokohoma Advanced Sport I have on at the minute, talk about poor wear with them and not much confidence in wet either, yikes!!!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had budgets on before and now i have the ultra sessantas, what a transformation, never going to buy budgets again

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update!

The past couple of days have been crazy trying to get the tyres I wanted for my rage wheels. Initially I got tyre shopper to match camskill's price for the Uniroyal rain sport 2 for £268 fitted, to then discover they do not do fitting in Northern Ireland.

I then decided to call what must be every tyre dealer within a 40 mile radius of me to see what they could do for me:

This is per tyre :

Toyo T1R : £140 fitted -
Hankook Evo : £150 fitted -
Dunlop Sportmaxx : £156 fitted

Uniroyal Rain sport 2: Knew a guy who could get me them for £120 a piece but then would have to get them fitted and balanced and then throw him a few quid. Figured that it wasn’t working out any better than what I could get them on camskill delivered and fitted myself.

BFGoodrich GeForce Profiler 2: £144 fitted
Continental Sportmax 5: £170 fitted
Kumo: £144 fitted
Goodyear Eagle F1: £175 fitted

Now after so many tyres to choose from and all sorts of dealers saying this that and the other about the quality of tyres I was so confused as what to do... Really I have had my heart set on the Goodyear Eagle F1's all along as I have read up on so many positive reviews on here and on Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide.

So off I go and phone the company (ATS) who can do the Goodyear for £175 fitted per tyre, to my disappointment they had no stock contrary to what their website said, I was left disappointed.

I decided to phone and ask companies to price match , HARDLY ANYONE anywhere near me had stock and were not expecting any until at least the middle of August :facepalm:

I then came across two websites , PNEUS TYRES ONLINE and www.ilovetyres.com

I asked pneus for a price match to camskill who are out of stock currently (but are expecting stock in 3 weeks if this helps anyone) and they came back with their cheapest price that they could do delivered was £162 per tyre which was my best result so far taking also into consideration that Ilovetyres were £174 delivered and that I couldn’t find anyone who bloody well had them in stock :mad:

So , I went ahead and purchased with pneus , but that’s not all. Pneus operate also through quidco :) so got back 3.7 % on the purchase price as well as the discount rate.

You could look at this and think it was a bit anal, but I shopped around and got a very good tyre and price I was kind of happy with, I just can’t believe tyre prices.

And lastly to mention, a lot of tyre dealerships were saying that the rage 225/35/19 is quite a rare fitment and not a common size stocked. A few said they are quite common on Ferraris and the like.

Stress!! ha!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts