2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copied from another thread.....credit to steve_m

The unit is VIN matched to the car, if it needs to check that match, the ignition has to be ON, so the Engine ECU is alive.

Presumably in your situation you were in accessory mode, so it will ask for security code as it cant confirm with VIN.

You wont have received the code, as there is no longer a code card issued with the car, mainly because unless you swap the unit to another car, you can just use the VIN match to restore operation.

If you do a hard reset (power button hold for 10 secs) unless the Ignition is on or the engine running, the unit will ask for code rather than VIN match. At that point if you turn the ignition on, message will change to press and hold the power button for 2 secs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I have just bought a radio off a 2015 civic to replace the one I have on my civic (2012 mk9) is there a way to reset the radio so it records my VIN? the dealership is struggling to find the code for it

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
As an interesting aside. My 2017 tourer was not provided with an unlock code, however the users manual does state that there should be an unlock code. I did reset the head unit a few times and it unlocked once the ignition was on and it could read the VIN. A few months ago I had a new head unit installed under warranty, and it is now coded to the VIN, but it did come with a card with an unlock code.

·
Registered
428 Posts
2012 Civic. I replaced the original Sat Nat unit from another car and had a Honda Dealer unlock it for me. Never had a problem even when the battery is disconnected it recognises the unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts