2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was just wondering if I would notice any difference to my Type-R while using V-Power, in terms of performance and MPG?

Stewart

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I think I just have normal Unleaded in my tank at the moment!

So when I refill can I just put V-Power in or should I try and run it dry?

Stu

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
My previous car was a Mazda RX8,
I noticed if i used normal unleaded in the 8 it felt sluggish and the engine developed a flat spot about 3000rpm.

After talking with a friend who is a mechanic he advised me to use BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax, after the third full tank there was a noticeable difference in power and engine smoothness.

I have noticed a few people on here have described flat spots in there Type R.

I have only ever used BP Ultimate in my Type R and Navara,
both engines are running very smoothly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Im sure ill be corrected but i thought there is no point using higher octane petrol if the engine doesnt have a knock sensor - and ive heard that the type r doesnt ?

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I can't get V-Power in Edinburgh. Its driving me up the wall! I have a sneeky feeling that folk stopped using it after they increased the price (before the current rise) by 10 to 15p!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Im sure ill be corrected but i thought there is no point using higher octane petrol if the engine doesnt have a knock sensor - and ive heard that the type r doesnt ?
Before the type R, i had the Golf GTI which was designed to run on 98ron or above, the manual said the knock sensor only worked when running on 95.

But Optimax did make a big difference to both the performance and wallet, was 10 a litre more in my garage, but not thats been closed only option is tesco :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Save your money!! Most independent tests reckon that premium fuel is a complete rip off.

I reckon there's a placebo effect with this stuff. I've tried both because on occasions I have only been able to get a so called premium fuel and I can honestly say that I for one cannot tell the difference driving on the UK's roads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
From previous experiance unless the car has a Turbo then regular Unleaded does just fine. V-power worked well in my Leon Cupra R but never noticed a difference in N/A cars

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some engines are designed for ron 98 (with high compresion) so they wil bennefit only if they run on v power, bp ultimate and more of those fuels. But if you will use 95 regular fuel its possible the same engine will lose power because of pre-ignition or knocking, so there for the knock sensor wil retard the ignition timing, which is bad for engine power. Therefor JDC cars have more power because the compression ratio is also higher and they have better fuel in japan. The type R sure has a knock sensor. But i am not sure if it will benefit also from better fuel. U can only measure it on a dyno, as many ppl dont feel a bit more ore less hp on averige driving circumstances.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I started using V Power in my Mini after a mate started using it in his EP3 Type R and saw a better fuel consumption, I have to say that I also found this in the Mini and I didn't change my driving style

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
im sure then extra cleaning detergents help in making the car feel more lively
Yeah. My sister was told by VW to put this in her tank when the engine started to judder a wee bit. They said that V power would clean the engine and help it run better, but they said she only had to do this every 4 or 5 tanks (so not too often for her considering she fills her car once every 2 months)

·
Registered
14 Posts
V-Power is worth it. I always try to use it in my S2000. I get better performance and much better mpg too. I used to commute 120miles a day in my S2, and V-power adds at least 20miles extra to the tank.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
V power

I had a flat spot on mine and tried V power, it may be psychological but it seems to be much better with the V power, and I get 30 mpg every time (mixture of driving)
Also didn't I catch the end of an ad on TV in the last couple of days saying 'get a free toy Ferrari when you buy 30 litres of V power' or was I just dreaming.

·
Souvlaki Drifter !
953 Posts
I had a flat spot on mine and tried V power, it may be psychological but it seems to be much better with the V power, and I get 30 mpg every time (mixture of driving)
Also didn't I catch the end of an ad on TV in the last couple of days saying 'get a free toy Ferrari when you buy 30 litres of V power' or was I just dreaming.
In Greece you get a Ferrari toy with 30euros' or more petrol, but you still have to pay 2 euros to get the toy! :mad:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just brimmed my FN2 with v-power as Shell had ran out of standard unleaded, so we'll see if there is any difference. The last 10 tanks have yeilded 32.5 give or take a tenth no matter what the journey...

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
i have been using esso supreme and there is a noticeable improvement,

filled up with BP ultimate once.......it cost £55 to fill the tank

·
Type-R GT [R-11523]
278 Posts
I use Shell V-Power Racing (100 Octane)

It's currently sitting at $1.55 over here (£0.72)
Standard Unleaded (95RON) is at $1.39 (£0.65)

So for a full 50 Litre tank I'm spending and extra $8 which equates to £3.73.

I didn't but this car because I was worried about running costs and I'm quite happy with the performance so if I don't get any extra MPG or grunt out of it I don't mind. (wouldn't object though ;))

I am, however, more than happy to spend the extra to get a cleaner fuel that will keep my engine running better for longer.

Admittedly our fuel prices appear to be somewhat lower than what you guys in the UK have to put up with... :oops:

-H

1 - 20 of 42 Posts