1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Civic ownership hasn't gone well.

At about 3 months I was left this present by my neighbour

And today we have this lovely little symbol

The AA diagnosed this to the DPF, which I was sort of expecting at some point, just not 6 months and 4,500 miles into ownership. Left with Honda dealer who have a 2 week waiting time:popcorn:

Bring back my reliable 2006 Civic:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
What type of driving do you do? Has it been sat on a motorway or stop start short journeys? Just wondering if journey type has influenced this dpf alarm.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does a 20 mile round trip every day, but doesn't get over 50mph most days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It has nothing to do with reliability You have made a wrong choice. Diesels are for long runs - when will people understand that !?

As for neighbour little gift - I hope he has paid for repair and it is nice and shiny now.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,443 Posts
Diesel wont even get warm on that trip let alone get hot enough to clean your dpf out by regeneration. You need at least 20 mins at high revs to regen. Roughly every 300 miles and even that creates ash that slowly builds up to fill dpf. You require petrol for your type of journeys.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
It does a 20 mile round trip every day, but doesn't get over 50mph most days.
When we bought the Auris 2.2TD with a DPF back in 09 my wife had to travel approx 17 miles each way and this was a 45 minute drive with no traffic and all was fine. Then she got a job local that is around 6 miles and less than 10 minutes with no traffic or around 20 minutes in traffic which is sat at traffic lights or slow moving. This for sure killed the Auris and it had to go for a CRZ so when we bought the Tourer the diesel on paper was a no brainer but when you think about the commute and the drop of in between for Lewis it was very clear the diesel would be a mistake and the petrol was more suitable.

I suspect diesel engines will soon be taxed on the high nox emissions they have and to be fair with the newer DPF diesel engines they are just not suitable for short stop start runs as the main journeys. I hope you get it sorted and have no more problems but I suggest your next car should probably be a petrol.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally understand that the daily commute isn't going to help, but with regular long trips at weekends I thought it would be fine for a modern diesel. It was only a week and a half ago we did a 300 mile round trip to Devon.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Totally understand that the daily commute isn't going to help, but with regular long trips at weekends I thought it would be fine for a modern diesel. It was only a week and a half ago we did a 300 mile round trip to Devon.
I would have thought it would be fine too. I would be very surprised if this DPF problem is to do with a lack of mileage, especially considering that you did a 300 mile trip only a few days ago. Hope they get to the bottom of this. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I would have thought it would be fine too. I would be very surprised if this DPF problem is to do with a lack of mileage, especially considering that you did a 300 mile trip only a few days ago. Hope they get to the bottom of this. Keep us updated.
+1

I have feeling too this is something else wrong.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were right, not a DPF issue as such, faulty fault code (P2002). The DPF was 2% full (not sure how they can tell?), so reset the car and whilst doing that also managed to get the auto wipers to work which have never worked:D

Lets hope that's it:cool:

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
That's good news. Your 1.6 should be absolutely fine with the mileage you drive, you don't have to be driving crazy miles.

That actually reminds me, I had an issue with my auto wipers not working and also not being able to change pages on my i-MID. I went to the dealer thinking I have two problems. They did a reset and all was fine, apparently it was a CANBUS error that had caused both. They asked me to bring the car back the following week and gave me a software update for good measure. The problem never came back.

Hopefully your next 6 months will see things get better. The 1.6 is a fantastic engine, so many on here are really happy with it.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has nothing to do with reliability You have made a wrong choice.
Apparently not it would seem.

Hopefully your next 6 months will see things get better. The 1.6 is a fantastic engine, so many on here are really happy with it.
You're right, the 1.6 is a cracking engine. What surprises me the most is how similar it is in terms of performance to my old 2.2, just with noticeably better MPG.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
It doesn't have to be particularly long miles. As long as you're able to get decent runs to clear it regularly enough, about 20 minutes over 2000rpm every week or so...
My commute is 37 miles each way, but it does include a roughly 20 minute run along the M4 which (in clear-ish traffic) is about enough to keep my DPF nice and clear.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think there's a lot of horror stories out their, especially vehicles of the earlier years when DPF's were new.

The Honda technician put my mind at rest based on him knowing how I drive the car, he indicated that you get a warning if it gets nearly full to inform you that a long drive is needed if it's been unable to clear the DPF. Can't find that in the owners manual so will take his word for it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The Honda technician put my mind at rest based on him knowing how I drive the car, he indicated that you get a warning if it gets nearly full to inform you that a long drive is needed if it's been unable to clear the DPF. Can't find that in the owners manual so will take his word for it.
You cant find it in the manual, as what the dealer technician told you is not actually relevent to the 1.6 engine only older 2.2 models, the 1.6 regenerates alot more often with different perameters, so there is less risk of the issue of clogged DPF, so the driving mode is not used.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Simple fix in the long run, every saturday, give your car the beans coming off a slip road or something, simply giving it the beans a couple times a week will help clear the DPF.

My dad did it on my mums audi every week, she plodded along in it, then he take it out, drop a gear and gave it a blast coming off a slip road or something. No issues at all doing that.

But yes, Diesels are for if your doing loooooooong journeys. It's why a lot of the little diesel fiat 500's fail. Girls pick them up because they look cute, do 5 miles a day around town and then question why the check engine light comes on. My ex is a prime example, despite me telling her plenty of times to take the car on a spirited long drive

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the problem is the map sensor I have problem with that.
Talk to the dealer and tell them I think the engine warning come back soon
On my civic it happened 3 times before 10000km

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a Lexus IS220d and it was the nicest and worst car I've ever owned.

Inside was luxurious and comfortable, I liked the look of the car, but the DPF was a pain in the backside. My wife and I both get public transport to work so during the week the car mostly went on one or two short journeys to the gym or the supermarket, and then most weekends we did long motorway journeys. The DPF couldn't cope despite the vast majority of miles being motorway. We'd regularly get a DPF warning and to begin with a blast down the motorway at 3000 rpm for 20-30 mins would be enough to reset it, but eventually I was 200 miles into a motorway journey when the light came on and I couldn't get rid of it. A 14 hour nightmare of waiting for the AA and a replay home was the last straw. I paid the £1500 to have the DPF replaced and when it started again just months later I traded it in for my 1.8 petrol Civic.

I'll never buy a diesel with a DPF again, and I'll never have another diesel Lexus because of the shoddy engine reliability and poor customer service. They never acknowledged that there was an issue with it despite the 100s of forum posts from people with the same issue on cars mostly doing motorway miles.

I also looked at the 1.6 diesel Civic when I changed, but I've been burned and I'm not putting my hand back in the fire. Not until the reliability of DPF systems is proven. I think my next car might be a hybrid or electric. I did look at the Insight, but eventually went back to the trusty Civic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts