2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just had an email from civinfo saying that an administrator has changed my password! What's going on please?

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
Security has been increased and everyone is neing forced to change their password.

When you do, ensure the password used is unique to here.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd be very wary of using a password here, this company that own Civinfo now have just lost well over 45 million passwords because they didn't keep them securely enough. Really not acceptable in this day and age

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
So if you used that password with that email address on any other forums, now might be the time to change it?

Some clarity from the board's owners would be useful here...

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Security has been increased and everyone is neing forced to change their password.

When you do, ensure the password used is unique to here.

Yep sure did and reset my password to the exact same password it was around 24hours ago hence no change :wink3:

Total waste of time in my opinion as if my account did get hacked what are they going to rip me off with when no banking or personal details are stored here?

·
Registered
304 Posts
So if you used that password with that email address on any other forums, now might be the time to change it?

Some clarity from the board's owners would be useful here...
Basically because of Vertical Scopes incompetence your username, email address, password and IP address are now publicity information. Along with 45 million other people!

45 Million Potentially Impacted by VerticalScope Hack | SecurityWeek.Com

This level of incompetence is not acceptable from an amateur site, let alone a professional outfit.

As soon as I can confirm how to do it, I'm deleting my account

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
I've changed provider since then and now I'm on a static.

It's just a faff. My TRO password has always been different because I'm the owner but my password for the regular forums I use was the same. The main reason is sites like this one that lock your account for 15 minutes after 5 attempts, so fumbling around with multiple passwords seems unworkable, particularly on a mobile where running KeePass is troublesome.

Data breaches are a fact of life unfortunately, it's just a shame that there's no comeback for users towards the company involved in circumstances like this.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
John just a quick question, as you run TRO could you find out a TRO users password if you wanted or is that 100% secure even from yourself?

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
John just a quick question, as you run TRO could you find out a TRO users password if you wanted or is that 100% secure even from yourself?
Secure. It's not stored as clear text anywhere on the DB. I can reset them though if needed.

·
Off-Road Nut!!!
303 Posts
I am sorry if this offends but with all the changes/hiccups recently, this
forum has become the most complex and frustrating one that i have
ever used. :frown2: Its just not a pleasure any more, that is a shame
for all the nice/helpful people on here. Maybe time for me to move on. :frown2:

Reactions: Daz577 and 54687

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
I'd be very wary of using a password here, this company that own Civinfo now have just lost well over 45 million passwords because they didn't keep them securely enough. Really not acceptable in this day and age
Wondered why my minecraft got hacked. I'm super safe and this was the only site with the same password. Not logged in it for years and some Russian changed all my details the other day, mystery solved :facepalm:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts