2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a new owner of 2015 1.6 i-DTEC Sport with 90k km (56k miles) and I'm undecided should I get Eibach Pro Kit or not.

I've read the old discussions about it, and I'll list them here for anybody else who might want to have all relevant links in one place:
And here are some (other) Eibach owners, from what I could find: @andyk134, @rob.e, @jakeyboy, @YEVLOH, @JayVr6, @tesoriero93, @Helmigurt.

The thing what I'm most concerned and what's holding me back the most is basically this:
I already [with Eibachs] encounter scrapes going over speedbumps / down ramps, so as much as lower would be good, I'm not sure about the practicality!
I live in a city on a hill with lots of sudden elevation changes, relatively steep parking garage ramps, etc. Even with the current stock suspension—while driving relatively carefully—I still sometimes manage to scrape with the front of my car!!
I'm afraid that with ~3 cm lower car it would become much more pronounced problem, causing me to avoid certain roads and parts of my city where I know I would be too low, and probably scraping a lot in other places where I'm not (yet) aware of the danger.

My questions for Eibach Pro Kit owners:
  1. Do you scrape a lot with your front end? Or: noticeably more often than with the stock springs?
  2. Do you have a special technique when approaching problematic inclines? (Going as sideways as possible?)
  3. Based on what I said (sometimes scraping even with the stock height), what would be your recommendation? Should I get Eibachs? Do pros outweigh cons?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
You do sometimes scrape, on steep speedbumps but it is only little plastic flaps attached to the front bumper.
If you approach slowly then it will be fine.
Would I recommend them?
Most definitely.
The car will look and handle much better.
The cons are that it may cost slightly more in insurance, and it may cause premature wear to other suspension components.
But for me the pro's outweigh the cons.
Go for it !

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Get a bit of plastic to stick down 30mm below the existing front plastic skirt thing. That will tell you first hand without getting different guesses from here
But my guess is that if you already have a problem with grounding, it will be a LOT worse if lowered by 30mm.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As with Jakeyboy, just occasional scraping on large speed humps and carpark ramps but just the strakes on the underside of the front bumper and not the bumper itself.

Mine became less frequent after swapping out my 17" OEM wheels for 18" aftermarket alloys.

For me any scraping is infrequent and tolerable and the improved looks and cornering outweigh any downsides

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to all of you who answered so far!!

it may cause premature wear to other suspension components.
From what I've heard and read, the pro kit is designed to work with other components being stock?
Btw, what is the usual expected life of stock suspension, when would I likely have to change it even if I kept everything stock? (I'm wondering if I'm close to replacing springs and/or dampers regardless of my Eibach decision)

Get a bit of plastic to stick down 30mm below the existing front plastic skirt thing.
That's a good idea, I might try to do that!

But my guess is that if you already have a problem with grounding, it will be a LOT worse if lowered by 30mm.
That's my fear too, and that's why I'm having second thoughts, despite hearing mostly positive feedback about Eibachs.

just the strakes on the underside of the front bumper and not the bumper itself
I noticed that too.
And now for the stupid question: Can those plastics be removed so they don't scrape anymore? What is their purpose, aerodynamics? What am I risking if I remove them?

Mine became less frequent after swapping out my 17" OEM wheels for 18" aftermarket alloys.
How can that make a difference if you keep the total diameter (rim + tyre) approximately the same?
Or does the difference in weight (I'm guessing that your aftermarket alloys are lighter than OEM wheels) make a difference in car behaviour on bumps?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
The eibachs are designed to work with standard shocks but they may wear them out slightly prematurely.
I've had civics and accords on eibachs before and have ended up replacing drop links too but that isn't a massive cost.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The strakes I believe are there for aerodynamics. They can be removed but leaving them in place will give something else sacrificial to catch before your paintwork does.

On the wheel front, I agree that it makes no apparent sense. If you look at the rolling radius of 225-45-17 verses 225-40-18 then the 18 is slightly larger albeit not by much. Add into the equation new tyres with maximum tread depth and stiffer sidewalls then it must make a small difference.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Maybe you’re just that bit more conscious of speed bumps and ramps when you’ve got bigger wheels... so you naturally slow down more for them?
I know that’s how it works for me between winter wheels (16”) and the standard set (19”).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The eibachs are designed to work with standard shocks but they may wear them out slightly prematurely.
How much of a difference are we talking about here? I know we can't know the exact numbers, but I'm interested in a ballpark: is it something like 3% sooner or 15% sooner?

the 18 is slightly larger albeit not by much. Add into the equation new tyres with maximum tread depth and stiffer sidewalls then it must make a small difference.
Taking all that into an account, we're still talking about just a few millimeters of difference.

Maybe even my current scraping situation will slightly improve in the spring when I remove my winter tyres (205/55 R16) and put my regular ones (225/45 R17).
But then again, if I decide to go for Eibachs, I would have to drive my car in the winter too, so everything like it is currently, just ~30mm lower :)

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way mate but I don't think eibachs are for you.
Keep the car as honda intended and you will be fine

·
Registered
234 Posts
Probably the best thing would be to find someone nearby who has Eibachs fitted and go for a drive.

Also, what are you hoping to gain by fitting them and what's the most important thing for you?

Ultimately they are a slight compromise. For me there was more gain than sacrifice and for that reason I'm very happy with my decision to fit them.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Why would they? Have you got, or can you link to any solid evidence of this other than hearsay?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Why would they? Have you got, or can you link to any solid evidence of this other than hearsay?
I did say may.
I fitted eibachs on my last fn2 and ran them for about 10k miles, before the front shocks started weeping slightly.
The car would have covered around 40k so for me, the eibachs played a part in this.
Most civics and the accord I've owned on eibachs have eventually needed drop links too.
That's just my personal opinion.
And it's still the first thing I do to all the cars I've had.

Reactions: M8TJT

·
Registered
128 Posts
From my personal experience, any scraping can be reduced by taking off those annoying black plastic bits underneath the front of the car. Most scraping (even at stock) comes from those alone, so I just took mine off. If you are still worried about scraping, take a look at my profile and look at the pics. Not only did I lower the car with the Eibach's, but I have added a front splitter which lowers the front even more. If you drive sensibly where obvious bumps and drops can be seen - it doesn't really seem to affect things.

Also - remember the Eibach springs are firmer than the stock springs, so I find there is less travel / spring compression when going over bumps. This pretty much compensates for the drop in itself. Hope that helps - I would certainly recommend them to anyone!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't take this the wrong way mate but I don't think eibachs are for you.
Keep the car as honda intended and you will be fine
Don't worry, no offense taken :)
My brain is telling me the same as you. But my heart is telling me "If not not, when? go go go" :D

Probably the best thing would be to find someone nearby who has Eibachs fitted and go for a drive.
Agreed.
I doubt I'll be able to find another Civic owner around here who has Eibachs, but it is worth giving it a try.

Also, what are you hoping to gain by fitting them and what's the most important thing for you?
I'm looking forward to:
  1. the improved looks — I've seen photos of Civics with Eibachs and it looks like a perfect amount of drop to give that "slightly lowered, but not too much" look
  2. the improved handling — from what I hear and read, it seems that everybody agrees that Eibachs give you overall a better suspension behaviour/performance

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most scraping (even at stock) comes from those alone, so I just took mine off.
I'm thinking about doing that, but I'm still wondering about negatives of doing that. As @CraigUK said earlier:
The strakes I believe are there for aerodynamics. They can be removed but leaving them in place will give something else sacrificial to catch before your paintwork does.
Without them, I'm guessing the first body part to come in contact with the surface will be the very front underside of a front "wing" (I don't know the correct term, sorry), which, btw, has already lost its paint thanks to the original owner of the car (I'm guessing he scraped a curb when he parked his car).

Also, those plastic bits seem to be quite soft and flexible. I'm not sure how much of scrape-protection do they offer in reality, i.e. it seems to me that if you're in a situation where you would scrape your front-end without them, you would also scrape all the same with them.
Please, somebody correct me if that's not the case.

Not only did I lower the car with the Eibach's, but I have added a front splitter which lowers the front even more.
I've seen it on your car and several others and I thought to myself "if they don't scrape with that, then I (without it) shouldn't either" :)

Also - remember the Eibach springs are firmer than the stock springs, so I find there is less travel / spring compression when going over bumps. This pretty much compensates for the drop in itself.
This is a very important detail/information!
One of my recent scrapes was on the bottom of a relatively steep decline, when the most of the weight was on the front wheels, so front springs were (I guess) very compressed. In that same scenario, Eibachs might be effectively less than 3cm lower, as they probably compress not as much.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
The plastic bits, as well as aerodynamic (but I can't see how) also give you warning of an impending scrape before serious paint removal happens.
Do like I said earlier, fit a bit of plastic under the scrapy thing, hanging down 30mm further and that will conclusively tell you whether you could live with it lowered that much or not. No ifs, no buts, no guesses, no opinions, no need to talk about it any more, just factual audible evidence with no further damage to your car. Simples.
Just do it. You know it makes sense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to what you wrote in you first post, the streets and terrain where you are driving, getting lower than factory setup would probably give you a nervous breakdown. I suggest you stop thinking about Eibachs. I put them in my 8 gen, and driving for the past 60k km. The car handles great, it's softer, but more stable. And for sure lower, so many of my bumper clips are ripped of due to scrapping. My Mrs wasn't paying much attention :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do like I said earlier, fit a bit of plastic under the scrapy thing, hanging down 30mm further and that will conclusively tell you whether you could live with it lowered that much or not. No ifs, no buts, no guesses, no opinions, no need to talk about it any more, just factual audible evidence with no further damage to your car. Simples.
Just do it. You know it makes sense.
Yes, I know it makes sense, and I liked your proposition already the first time you mentioned it.
I didn't take action yet, because I'm still thinking about how to make that - what materials to use, how to connect them to the existing plastics, etc.
I should maybe try to connect those 3cm pieces to the very front of the car - so I can see if I would scrape with Eibachs if I decide to remove the plastics, as that would be the point of the contact with the ground, not where the plastics are now.

My Mrs wasn't paying much attention :)
Heh, that was my first mistake right there: I told my Mrs what are my plans ;)

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Without going outside in the rain and checking (I have a 10G anyway) will not an inverted "L" shaped piece of plastic slide between the existing rubbery bit and the underside of the bumper. After all, it's not going to be fitted as a permanent job. It'll probably get knocked off at the first steep incline anyway unless you use a pretty flexible bit of plastic.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts