2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So over the weekend me and my dad replaced all the stock speakers with some Decent Edge one's, nothing fancy these one's to be exact ED306 E2 Edge Audio 6.5 inch (165 mm) 240w Watts Component Speakers Set Pair 5060037503375 | eBay

The speakers come with a Crossover and a pair of tweeters although I didn't use them I just wired the Woofer straight up to the speaker wire in my car, this is because my car has no where to mount the tweeters :(

It sounds really bad though especially when the volume is turned up, sounds really distorted. What do you guys think I should do? I was thinking about installing the crossover but without installing the tweeters but I'm worried does this mean I'd loose all treble and only have Bass?

If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it starting to give up on the whole project. I've installed speakers and things in cars before but I've never had problems like this I think I must have done something wrong!?

Thanks Peeps!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
Derv Driver
464 Posts
I think distortion is occurring due to the absence of the cross-overs. You are trying to play high frequency sounds through a driver not designed for it. My suggestion would be to buy the sail panels from a newer model that has the tweeter housing and fit your cross-overs and tweeters.

EDIT:
From the link provided it seems the part numbers are:
PFKL823966
PFKL827799

I bought one of each for my Civic as the 2006 - 2008 Civics in South Africa had the 4 speaker setup and not the six-speaker setup. (Still have to fit mine though)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for all the replys guys! :)

I'm gonna do something a bit different I think so I'm hoping I've got it all right just don't want to miss anything. I'll be installing a brand new ICE system, double din, subwoofer, new speakers etc.... Just wanted to run these things past you to make sure I have what I need :)

Headunit -
Fascia and Wiring - Connects2 CTKHD01 Honda Civic Hatchback 06 Double Din Radio Installation Kit | eBay / Connects 2 Sony Stalk Patch Lead | eBay
4 of these speakers (Coaxial) - Blaupunkt GTx 662 DE speakers 6.5" 165mm 16.5cm 2way coaxial 200W Max in car 3165144333555 | eBay

I already have a 10" sub and all the stuff which is pretty much wired in. Any advice you can pass on to me I'd most appreciate it also can someone confirm this is all I need in order to do this!?

I'll make a detailed how to when I get around to doing it all.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Distortion is normally caused by a lack of power, meaning the amp is not capable of driving the speakers properly.

The one in the stock unit is particularly poor.
Cheers mate :) How's my build above for a double din setup? Is that all I need? Just wanted to double check!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Cheers mate :) How's my build above for a double din setup? Is that all I need? Just wanted to double check!
Looks fine.

I assume you are currently using a LOC for your sub? If so I'd connect it directly to the new head unit if possible, since this would normally provide a bit of extra control.

As you've already replaced the speakers once I guess you already have all the speaker rings you need.

Only other consideration I can think of would be whether you wanted to add some sound deadening or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup bought some sound deadening as well cheers mate :) Forgot to mention that!!

Is there a "How To" guide on here that I can follow when fitting my Connects 2 Double Din install? Been searching for ages and I can't seem to find one!?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts