2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all - happy Christmas!

For Christmas this year, I've been gifted a JVC KW-R520 double-DIN head unit - and I have very little experience in installing head units in cars, so I'm just after a little bit of advice with regards to fitting it, please. I am okay with getting the stock fascia off, and I know I have to order a fascia to fit the new unit (that will be on the way very soon) - but I get stumped at the wiring. I haven't attempted to change it yet - but do I need a wiring harness? I needed one for my old Corsa, but there is a wiring harness in the box with the unit - so do I need an extra wiring loom as a necessity? That's the only thing I'm a little worried about!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
The wiring is straight forward if you get the Connects2 kit with the Honda adaptor. There is a bit of soldering and joining wires to be done - I just got a local auto electrician to do mine, done in a few seconds for free.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wiring is straight forward if you get the Connects2 kit with the Honda adaptor. There is a bit of soldering and joining wires to be done - I just got a local auto electrician to do mine, done in a few seconds for free.
Ahh - thanks very much for the reply. Is it not as straight-forward as plugging the stock wires into the harness that has come with the new unit, and that's it? I'm not too concerned about losing the antenna for the radio - I just want to be able to listen to my music on my phone, haha!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, all - happy Christmas!

For Christmas this year, I've been gifted a JVC KW-R520 double-DIN head unit - and I have very little experience in installing head units in cars, so I'm just after a little bit of advice with regards to fitting it, please. I am okay with getting the stock fascia off, and I know I have to order a fascia to fit the new unit (that will be on the way very soon) - but I get stumped at the wiring. I haven't attempted to change it yet - but do I need a wiring harness? I needed one for my old Corsa, but there is a wiring harness in the box with the unit - so do I need an extra wiring loom as a necessity? That's the only thing I'm a little worried about!

Thanks in advance!
Most of the colour codes are easily identified if you have any major issues, just shout.I can help with some of that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the colour codes are easily identified if you have any major issues, just shout.I can help with some of that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info - I'll give it a go in the new year, when I have time off work - didn't quite realise that half of the dashboard has to come off before I do it!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Yup, half the dash comes out to get at two screws ha ha!

But seriously, just take your time with it and enjoy the experience, plenty of guides and help here.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
What soldering needs to be done and which wires need to be joined ??
Was hoping for a straight plug and play job with the wiring !!!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Trying to remember here - pretty sure the Honda adaptor has some wiring to be soldered to one of the wires on the double din. And the radio wire needs to be joined up to another wire too.

Any auto electrician will know straight away.

This is covered in the guides on here so don't panic, a bit of searching will find exactly which wires.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
What soldering needs to be done and which wires need to be joined ??
Was hoping for a straight plug and play job with the wiring !!!
It is pretty much plug n play, only one wire will need to be soldered / crimped and that's the power to the aerial amplifier, assuming of course your new head unit comes with a standard ISO loom for the connects2 loom to plug into.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Yeah its a Pioneer AVH X3500DAB that i have that thinking of putting in it and i am sure it has standard ISO connections
wont be using the FM radio on it will just be using DAB so would i be able not to connect that wire ??
cheers

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
There's a separate connection (Just plugs in) on the back of that unit for a separate DAB aerial, since DAB doesn't work through the FM antenna connection.

Pretty sure the head unit will provide power to the DAB antenna through that plug-in connector so you wouldn't need to connect a separate power lead to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts