2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wanting to upgrade the sound in my car preferably by leaving the stock head unit in place. I play all of my music through the aux input so this low output volume combined with the terrible factory speakers make for a very cheap sounding system :|

After shopping around a bit, one audio shop offered to upgrade the front speakers, add an amp and subwoofer together with the conversion cables for the head unit for €640. The same shop also offered to add only the sub and a smaller amp for around half the price but that wouldn't solve my low volume issue.

Another shop outright refused to quote because they said that its not worth the money to upgrade just the speakers and only recommend a full replacement of the head unit.

I'm no audiophile and will accept that the amplified sound from the stock head unit is not that great, but is it that bad that the €640 upgrade is a rip off? Anyone here who upgraded speakers care to share their set up?

Cheers

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
So I've been wanting to upgrade the sound in my car preferably by leaving the stock head unit in place. I play all of my music through the aux input so this low output volume combined with the terrible factory speakers make for a very cheap sounding system :|

After shopping around a bit, one audio shop offered to upgrade the front speakers, add an amp and subwoofer together with the conversion cables for the head unit for €640. The same shop also offered to add only the sub and a smaller amp for around half the price but that wouldn't solve my low volume issue.

Another shop outright refused to quote because they said that its not worth the money to upgrade just the speakers and only recommend a full replacement of the head unit.

I'm no audiophile and will accept that the amplified sound from the stock head unit is not that great, but is it that bad that the €640 upgrade is a rip off? Anyone here who upgraded speakers care to share their set up?

Cheers
You would be better spending the money on a new headunit instead of speaker upgrade, you would not believe what i difference this makes to the stock speakers.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,764 Posts
You would be better spending the money on a new headunit instead of speaker upgrade, you would not believe what i difference this makes to the stock speakers.
+1, or you could add a small amplifier and keep the original headunit.;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
In the same boat as you OP, want to change all 4 speakers as 2 of them are rattling like mofo's.

Not bothered about head unit just the speakers and soundproofing :)

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
In the same boat as you OP, want to change all 4 speakers as 2 of them are rattling like mofo's.

Not bothered about head unit just the speakers and soundproofing :)
Hear what you are saying but the output from the oem headunit is ni on useless and isnt powerfull enough to wobble paper let alone modern day aftermarket speakers
Its like trying to polish a turd, best money is spent on changing the headunit first, its amazing the difference to the standard speakers, as for rattles this shouldn't be the speakers and you will find that soundproofing will cure most if not all.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
could someone point me in the right direction as to where to get the new facia to fit a double din stereo please the eBay one looks like an OK match but for £70 odd i'd like to see how much the genuine replacements are first to get an exact dash match?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
£100 more for the genuine i'll be twisting someones arm for a birthday present i think lol seems to come with adaptors and bits unlike the C2 adaptor?

·
D and A said i did it
450 Posts
Impulse sells them both and you get the same cables with both, the genuine fascia is £100 more and its a better match and fit for the dash and comes with a flush mounting cage.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Think i'm going down the fake road :( can't justify spending another £100 when i've got £200 to dish out on a double din dvd player lol, anyone recommend a decent android compatible double din headunit been looking at pioneer who have some deals on eBay at the moment but no screens just a mahoosive single din unit stretched into a double :/

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
That was my thinking and I spent more on a decent head unit instead
I don't think the connects2 is that bad anyway, it looks pretty good to me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well seems that I have to go for a head unit upgrade and probably just add a sub... wished for an official fascia but the asking price is ridiculous for a bit of plastic and mounting kit lol

Thanks all

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, am looking to buy a Connects2 kit and apparently the factory clock is controlled by some black box that comes with the wiring kit. Probably a silly question but do you need to pull out the dash each time to set the clock?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
No Thats not needed mate, the idea of the box is that it enables the same functionality that you have now, so changing the clock is the same procedure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Wardy. So the clock will take the time settings from the new stereo without problems?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Thanks Wardy. So the clock will take the time settings from the new stereo without problems?
The box just enables the clock to still be displayed along with your climate control, the clock will still need's to be set via the steering wheel im sure, mine doesnt sync with the double din I have to set mine from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm I thought the clock was set from one of the buttons on the factory head unit.. I could be mistaken however

1 - 20 of 20 Posts