2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have just had my civic in for some work this morning for the central locking, locking and unlocking repeatedly when you shut the door. they have tried to fob me off saying it is something i have pressed on the keys to enable a funtion to lock your car as you drive away, but it doesn't do that and never has, he said if they find it enabled on the car they have to disable it because its not for the uk market.

is that a function you can enable yourself or is it something the dealer would have to do?

this time last year it was in for the boot being locked and not able to open it, they told me the same thing then as well :mad:

also i told them the front shocks were making a banging sound as you pull away and when you go round bends at slow spped, they told me they couldn't find a fault with it and it was just because there was grit on them from the roads!!!! why cant i have a decent local dealer? :(

any advice please of what to do and particularly the locking part if you can enable that yourself

Thanks

Liz xx

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Liz,

The auto-locking thing was something that owners could do on 06 cars, but dealers were obliged to undo it if they found it (for safety reasons). The car simply locked all the doors once your speed went above a few mph, and then unlocked the doors when you took the key out. If you have never noticed this behaviour, then there's nothing to worry about since the feature has not been enabled and the dealer is being an aggressive unhelpful muppet.

More details here.

If there's a bang from the front as you pull away, there is the possibility that there is a fault with your subframe coming loose. The dealer again will know about this and should be able to help. More details here.

Dare we ask who the dealer is? :)

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
The self locking function was omitted on UK cars after the 2006 build I believe, so I don't see how you could have enabled it.
The shocks are a known problem - plenty of posts on here if you do a search and arm yourself with them when you contact the Dealer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, its marshalls in peterborough!!

Used to get fantastic service from the guys in the motorbike side but the car side is crap!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The self locking function was omitted on UK cars after the 2006 build I believe, so I don't see how you could have enabled it.
The shocks are a known problem - plenty of posts on here if you do a search and arm yourself with them when you contact the Dealer.

thanks, mine is an 06 reg but wouldn't have thought i could enable it accidentally by myself by pressing buttons on the key fob :confused: especially twice in a year! i had read about the shocks problem before i went, they just don't seem to want to be helpful, considering the amount of time i spend there you think they would try and solve it to get rid of me lol x

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I would politely let them know that the auto locking has not and never has been enabled, and that you are concerned that the knocking from the front is the well known subframe corrosion fault and that you at least deserve that they investigate it before telling you "it's normal, love". :rolleyes:

I dropped my local dealer because they were so condescending to my wife, it makes me mad!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would politely let them know that the auto locking has not and never has been enabled, and that you are concerned that the knocking from the front is the well known subframe corrosion fault and that you at least deserve that they investigate it before telling you "it's normal, love". :rolleyes:

I dropped my local dealer because they were so condescending to my wife, it makes me mad!

Thanks, it makes me mad too lol. mu husband is waiting for the service manager to call him back, he is not a happy bunny lol. i have emailed him the info you gave me so he is well armed lol :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my next 'local' dealer is over 30 miles away so i hope i can get this sorted, it will cost me a fortune to keep taking it back if i have to go that far lol

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I'm afraid finding a decent Honda dealer is going to be a challenge! As others have said, the knocking at the front sounds like the sub-frame issue. Keep the pressure on tho' - it took me a while to persuade the dealer that was the problem with my Civic!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, i can't wait to hear what they said to my husband, get the feeling he will get a completely different answer from what i did

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well my hubby has just rang to tell me i now have got to ring the service manager to sort it out, he has told him what he thinks and they have told him if i call they will arrange for it to go back in, so here i go, wish me luck :) x

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well aparently the service manager is not there now only 3 mins after my husband had finished talking to him AHHHH!!!!

i rang my next 'local' dealer who was quite the oppsite and extremely helpful :) he told me that the noise from the front is a known fault and he would have a guess what was causing the central locking fault, and the auto locking is not something you could do accidentally and wouldn't do it when the car was stationary only whenit reaches appox 10mph. he also said if i wanted the work done properly to bring my car to them lol and i think i will :) x

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I would happily travel 50 miles for a decent dealer Liz.
There are plenty still about.
My one is a 40 mile round trip from me, but they offer to pick the car up and return it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well the service manager has just called me back and was very apologetic, told him i was disugsted by their service and i will contacting Honda about it :) i think he was quite suprised with what i knew about the known faults (thanks to all you lovely people on civinfo :D) and changed his attitude a bit and promised to oversee all work that will be done on the car when it goes in again in a couple of weeks. even going to give me a courtsey car and they will pay for my insurance and get it on a lower excess in case i smash it up for them :D its there last chance though if they mess me around again it will be bye bye marshalls peterborough and hello honda kettering :D

thanks for all your advice x

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to make amends, which is good. However, don't take anymore nonsense from them, and do write to Honda if they continue to mess you around.

Good to know that the forum has been of use!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like they are trying to make amends, which is good. However, don't take anymore nonsense from them, and do write to Honda if they continue to mess you around.

Good to know that the forum has been of use!
yeah i guess but this will be their last chance though, just starting to doubt they have ever done any of the work they should have done when it has been in previously. my warranty runs out later this year and a bit worried that it will all start playing up again after that and i will end up paying out stupid amounts of money to get it fixed. if they mess me around again i will definately write to Honda.

This forum is ALWAYS useful, i know any problem i have i can come on here and get some friendly helpful advice, thanks everyone :grouphug:xxx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts