2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi lads,
Have an urgent query here. I'm in my sisters house in the country (about 200kms from home!) and I have been trying to install my double din. I have the kit from impulse and this headunit Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers.

The dash removal and installing the facia and headunit is no problem, but i'm having issues with the wiring. I have connected most wires. The headunit powers on and off with the ignition, and the memory is saving stations.

However, the reception is awful, and I can only pick up 3 stations. Below is a picture of the antenna wires. I have attached it to the wiring harness, and the metal connection has been attached to the back of the headunit, but what do I do with the blue wire? What should this be connected to?

My other issue is with the steering control patch lead I received. I have one end of the patch lead connected to the wiring harness, but where do these 2 wires connect to?

There is nowhere on the back of the headunit to connect it to:

And the wiring harness that came with the headunit is below. As can be seen there is a blue and yellow wire marked steering wheel remote.....should this connect to the patch lead (there is no connection of anything at the end of this wire)? It doesn't look like it can....have I been given the wrong patch lead?

Help much appreciated as i'm really stumped here!

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
what make of headunit have you got?

On my pioneer harness I have a female 3.5mm socket for the male end of the impulse box lead to connect to.

The blue wire (aerial) I've just omitted iirc, taped it up.

In the last picture of the steering wheel remote whats on the end of that wire? or is it just bare?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I emailed Bob from Impulse and this is his reply:

1. There is a wire that comes from the JVC which is either labelled 'AMP REMOTE' or 'ANTENNA REMOTE' or 'AUX REMOTE'. This wire carries 12 volts and is made live when the head unit is switched on. This wire must be connected to the blue wire on the antenna adaptor so that the Honda antenna amplifier can be powered up and provide a decent signal to the radio.
2.You have correctly identified the steering wheel remote wire. As it does not have a socket on the end of it simply connect the brown wire with the red bullet connector to it. You can cut the bullet off if you want. Insulate the 3.5mm jack plug so that it does not short out.
3. When all this is done, make sure the blue wire from the Civic adaptor (not the antenna adaptor) is insulated as well as the pink speed pulse wire and switch on the ignition.
I connected the steering wheel wire and suggested, but this hasn't worked.

And I can't find a wire called Amp Remote, Antenna Remote or Aux Remote :(

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Erm, tbh I'm a touch lost, as mine is a pioneer, but tbh you look like you've started out correctly, my one was just link up and go.... :/

Soz,
Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
I emailed Bob from Impulse and this is his reply:

I connected the steering wheel wire and suggested, but this hasn't worked.

And I can't find a wire called Amp Remote, Antenna Remote or Aux Remote :(
According to page 4 here: http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/50/LVT2173-002A.pdf

It looks as though the blue wire should be connected to the blue wire that comes out of the headunit (power antenna).

It is difficult to tell from the diagram, it looks as though that wire comes directly out of the headunit but it may be it is part of the jvc supplied wiring adapter. (ie plug wiring adapter into head unit, which has all the wires mentioned attached).

As I found when installing my own, things don't necessarily just fit together. You sometimes have to crimp/solder wires together, particularly the antenna power and swrc cables.

Hope that helps

Steve

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to page 4 here: http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/50/LVT2173-002A.pdf

It looks as though the blue wire should be connected to the blue wire that comes out of the headunit (power antenna).

It is difficult to tell from the diagram, it looks as though that wire comes directly out of the headunit but it may be it is part of the jvc supplied wiring adapter. (ie plug wiring adapter into head unit, which has all the wires mentioned attached).

As I found when installing my own, things don't necessarily just fit together. You sometimes have to crimp/solder wires together, particularly the antenna power and swrc cables.

Hope that helps

Steve
Thanks for the help mate. But that is a different wiring diagram and loom than I have. I'm trying to find the one I have online. My issue is that I don't have a blue power antenna wire from what I can see. This is driving me mad :(

Impulse have said that they think I need a different steering wheel adaptor, so they are looking into it and will get back to me on that one. I just need to find out what to do about the antenna power cable now

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
your radio will have an amp out wire that would switch your amp on attach that to the blue wire job done(fingers crossed)

if not you could connect it to the yellow power lead as that only get power when your turn the key

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
looking at that you need to find the blue/white lead and connect the to the blue wire from implus Ariel thing

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
looking at that you need to find the blue/white lead and connect the to the blue wire from implus Ariel thing
Hhhmmm I think you might be right. I've been looking at this diagram all day, but due to my hangover, it looks like I wasn't reading it correctly.

So, to conect it to this wire, should I leave the wire intacted and just strip a small bit of insulation off it and connect the wire from the Impulse kit? Or should I cut the wire, and just join it to one end of it?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
aslong as it touch the inside wire its up to you good luck

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got the same head unit and have the same problem with the steering wheel controlls. I emailed Impulse and didnt get much of a reply from them to help me.
Reply from Impulse -
"JVC usually supply a multi cable loom that plugs into the back of the head unit. One of these cables is the steering wheel remote.
Regards
Bob "

So i emailed CarAudioSecurity and was told this is the part im needing.... Unfortunatly it means if i want steering wheel controlls i will need to buy the connects2 wiring loom.

Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
you can tap in to the steering controls without a patch leads

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got this finished yesterday. The difference in sound quality now is unbelievable, it really shows how crap the standard headunit is. The adaptor for the steering wheel controls doesn't work, I have been back Impulse and they are going to send me out a modified harness which should sort it.

Before:

During:

After:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Great work :thumbsup: Can you keep us updated on the new impulse wiring for the steering controls? That JVC unit is a bargain for £200! Its abit slow going through the Ipod menus but other than that i cant complain! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures. Can I ask - you mention the improvement in sound quality, do you still have the standard speakers or have you upgraded these too? I know that to get full use of an upgraded head unit you need to upgrade the speakers, but was wondering what kind of result you were getting with the standard speakers – if you still had them.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.