2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mates,

I'm actually on my ski holiday. The R parks outside in a yard, temeprature is less, than - 10 C. I started the car one day after arrival and it started a bit heavier then usual. I'm afraid that my battery goes empty, its a 3 years old car with OE battery. I have additional alarm and immobiliser (previous owner) and the main thing, that I do not have keyloks.

So if battery goes empty, I can not get in the car. To avoid this, I left open the bonnet (to be able to charge the battery if it goes empty) and locked the doors. Factory alarm was not engaged.

What do you think? Is it safe? Is it normal that factory alarm did not engeged with bonnet open? Does it consume any electricity in this case?

Thanks!

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I would disconnect the battery if you're worried about it dying on you.

This will reduce the drain on it to an absolute minimum.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
What do you mean by no key locks?
Have you removed these?

If you did have key locks then you could disconnect the battery and even take it inside.

However, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Do you have some jump leads in case the battery is flat later?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Hi mates,

I'm actually on my ski holiday. The R parks outside in a yard, temeprature is less, than - 10 C. I started the car one day after arrival and it started a bit heavier then usual. I'm afraid that my battery goes empty, its a 3 years old car with OE battery. I have additional alarm and immobiliser (previous owner) and the main thing, that I do not have keyloks.

So if battery goes empty, I can not get in the car. To avoid this, I left open the bonnet (to be able to charge the battery if it goes empty) and locked the doors. Factory alarm was not engaged.

What do you think? Is it safe? Is it normal that factory alarm did not engeged with bonnet open? Does it consume any electricity in this case?

Thanks!
The alarm will not set if the bonnet is not fully closed.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
What do you mean by no key locks?
Have you removed these?

If you did have key locks then you could disconnect the battery and even take it inside.

However, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Do you have some jump leads in case the battery is flat later?
Ah, I didn't even see that point lol :facepalm:

In that case I guess the OP will need to leave the bonnet open.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Do you have clear sky's ? why not get a solar charger ?

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. Problem is, that the previous owner removed the doorlocks. So if the remote key does not work, due to - let's say - my battery is flat, I can not get in the car. That's what I worried about. Thereofore I left open the bonnet a bit, to be able to charge the battery if it happen to flat. Which may happen as the somewhat paranoid prev owner had installed one aftermarket alarm and an aftermarket immo.

And that's right, if the bonnet is open, the alarm will not set, I checked the manual. So my decision, I left the bonnet open a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Short out the bonnet switch or just tape the switch down so it thinks the bonnet is closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts