2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First things first, the radio part and changing between folders, i know how to do.

The problem is the port itself.
I have a USB stick that's barely bigger than a USB connector, but it wont actually fit on the USB Aux in.

Is some sort of adapter cable needed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I just asked the seller (my old man) apparently there was a cable and he's gonna dig it out for me. lol.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
Just to clarify, the USB and Aux in are two different things and have their own selection on the head unit.

USB connection does come with an adaptor lead (sounds like the OP has this now). This will connect to a USB drive and you will be able to view and select folders from the head unit.

The Aux In is basically a 3.5 mm Jack and will just play what's plugged into it with no option to alter from the head unit (apart from volume).

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Why did he remove it from the car?
Feckin hell, probably for the fear of it being nicked with them costing that much to replace!

Surely you can buy these things from a 3rd party supplier for cheaper than 60 odd quid???

Glad mine wasn't missing when I bought the car!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Surely you can buy these things from a 3rd party supplier for cheaper than 60 odd quid???
I would have thought the same - need someone with one to confirm what the connections are at each end etc.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Already looked .... It's a proper oem plug.... No one supplies anything like it :(
Guess they have you by the short and curlies then.

[smilie=damn.gif][smilie=its-a-tard.:
[/CENTER]​

Time to get creative? Trace the pinouts and make your own...​

·
Registered
198 Posts
Has anybody of you ever thought about cutting or drilling the non-standard USB plug out of its plastic cover and replace it by an ordinary USB cable by just using a bit of glue to fill the gab between the new plug and the hole?
To hide the clue you may add a little bit of black silicone around the new plug after the clue is completely dry.

I mean, there must be some place under this non-standard USB plug where, on its other end, it is connected to the car.

If that other end is an ordinary USB (can somebody confirm this, please?), it should be quite easy to replace it.
If you do it very carefully, you should even be able to keep the cover above the plug intact.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm not in a hurry to try myself atm. ;)
My car isn't old enough for this to do and the adapter cable still working. :D

But I think I'll try if time has come...

I assume, all it takes to find out the wiring is a continuity tester.
If you know the purpose of each of the 4 pins of your thumbdrive, you can go backwards deeper and deeper into the car's wiring to find a place where to connect an ordinary USB cable.

I don't remember where, but I've seen a picture of an ordinary USB port once.
Must have been somewhere behind the handbrake after the armrest was removed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts