2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm getting a new Pioneer head unit installed in my car to replace the OEM radio/CD player. I'm aware that my Pioneer unit has its USB socket on the rear, so an extension cable is usually attached and fed through to the glove compartment area, with it ending up dangling unceremoniously on the floor.

I think this is a bit of an messy option, so have ordered one of THESE with the intention of cutting a small rectangular hole somewhere on the centre console to push the fat end through, making a tidy permanent location to connect my phone.

The question I have for anyone who's done similar on a pre-facelift 8th gen Civic, is would it be possible to route the cable from the back of the head unit to either a hole cut into the back of the small storage compartment with a flap that sits above the gear stick and below the stereo facia, or even to the ashtray that sits aft of the gear stick? I haven't dismantled the centre console/dashboard yet, so I just want to know if it is possible to run a cable/socket of the type described from the head unit to either of these locations.

Cheers in advance 馃憤

F

Registered
night hawk black 09 FN2

Registered
night hawk black 09 FN2
i have the Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB and the usb cable and AUX port are on the back so instead of just loosing access to it i used the cable i linked.

ive never used it but want to have all the feature offered by the headunit i bought.

Premium Member
Ooooh - Flac's.... if only standard systems could play Flac's I'd be a happier bunny, neither the audio in the Civic or the Freelander 2 can do Flac's - converting to mp3 just for vehicles is a right pain 馃檨

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got a flush usb socket for the cigarette lighter, no hassle then. 馃憤
View attachment 321636
Does this USB thing just slide in there in place of the *** lighter? I'd like to keep the *** lighter free for a drop in USB dongle like that just to charge devices, but I may turn one of my heated seat switch blanks into the USB that connects to the head unit. I'm getting a Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB, which has it's USB connection on the back.

I take it the switch blanks can be easily removed once you lift out the centre console?

Registered
It was this one, you can buy with or without LED back lighting.

Registered
Does this USB thing just slide in there in place of the * lighter? I'd like to keep the * lighter free for a drop in USB dongle like that just to charge devices, but I may turn one of my heated seat switch blanks into the USB that connects to the head unit. I'm getting a Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB, which has it's USB connection on the back.

I take it the switch blanks can be easily removed once you lift out the centre console?
Yep it just replaces the plug in lighter and can be easily removed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ooooh - Flac's.... if only standard systems could play Flac's I'd be a happier bunny, neither the audio in the Civic or the Freelander 2 can do Flac's - converting to mp3 just for vehicles is a right pain 馃檨
99% of people can't tell the difference between music in FLAC format and music in CD format in an acoustically engineered listening room on high-end hi-fi equipment, so I doubt many can tell the difference between FLACs and mp3s on a car stereo :ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
The difference between Flacs and MP3s is huge - lossless vs lossy format. On my home system the difference is night & day between the 2.

My collection is all Flacs and my point was that converting to MP3 for cars is tedious, and the duplication in storage for MP3s and Flacs of the same stuff is a waste.

so... since you brought up CD format, do you consider Flacs or CD better quality?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The difference between Flacs and MP3s is huge - lossless vs lossy format. On my home system the difference is night & day between the 2.
Haha that's quite a claim, one that hasn't been reliably or conclusively proved by ABX testing. FLAC files may contain more data than CDs (most of which are in WAV format) but that doesn't mean that human hearing can easily discern the difference. Most of the extra data in FLAC files is at frequencies way higher than humans can hear: your dog will be able to tell the difference though ;)

A lot of differences people think they're hearing are down to psychoacoustics and other variables, such as mood, time of day, etc.

Premium Member
lol - that debate was settled years ago and has been demonstrated time & time again, just a fact 馃檮 Sorry but you are wrong, entitled to your opinion but still wrong ;)

Anyway - not really got anything to do with your topic so best let it go eh?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol - that debate was settled years ago and has been demonstrated time & time again, just a fact 馃檮 Sorry but you are wrong, entitled to your opinion but still wrong ;)

Anyway - not really got anything to do with your topic so best let it go eh?
You really don't know what you're talking about eh? I guess you've bought into the hype about HD music so you have to defend spending the money you have on FLAC files.

You'll not able to provide "conclusive" proof that FLAC files are superior to CDs, because it simply doesn't exist, I'm afraid. Please try, by all means: it'll be worth a laugh 馃ぃ

Premium Member
lol - let it go fella, I have no problem with whatever you wanna believe - and yeah - I very much DO know what I'm talking about, who mentioned anything about spending money??

You are still wrong tho ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol - let it go fella, I have no problem with whatever you wanna believe - and yeah - I very much DO know what I'm talking about, who mentioned anything about spending money??

You are still wrong tho ;)
You keep telling me I'm wrong but you're unable to provide any proof to support this? Seems to me that you're the only person being hostile around here, as I wasn't accusing you of anything.

Premium Member
Huh?

I have no interest whatsoever in educating you or proving anything to you - why should I have? I honestly could not care less what you think.

All I did was comment that it would be nice to be able to play Flacs on the OEM ICE systems in my Honda or Landrover - which would save needing both a MP3 library and a Flac one containing the same stuff.

I never said I or anyone else would be able to tell a difference in a vehicle between the 2 but you wanted to argue a point for some reason 馃檮 (incidentally I agree with you that being able to discern a difference in a vehicle is highly unlikely)

Take a pill & chill 馃槏馃槏

1 - 20 of 32 Posts