2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I just bought a Civic last week Brand new Honda Civic ES 1.8.

I have a question that I can't seem to figure out myself/manual reading.

I am using a USB drive at the moment to listen to music. Main reason so it displays Album/Artists etc.. on the dash. (I intend on buying a hard drive for a permanent use.)

My question is When I plug the USB drive in, displayed on the screen on my dash is the album names rather than the artist. I have set them all in sub folders on the drive artist then album. But it still shows albums only.

Does anyone know if there is any way to change this?

Cheers
Craig.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I don't think you can change it, only the iPod interface shows artists and albums, the USB interface just shows the immediate folder and then tracks.

You could put artist name into folder name, but there's not much space

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I have tried that. I have the usb Root set up with Folder with Artist names then the albums within.

But in the car it doesn't seem to show the root it just shows album titles.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
But in the car it doesn't seem to show the root it just shows album titles.
That's right, there's only one folder level, so if you wanted artists names they would need to be included in folder name and repeated on each album folder for that artist.

There are other potential problems as well, search the forum for "Drivesort"

It's not very sophisticated :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for offtopic, but I'm interested if anyone knows what audio formats are supported via USB? Whether it is supported FLAC?

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
That's right, there's only one folder level, so if you wanted artists names they would need to be included in folder name and repeated on each album folder for that artist.

There are other potential problems as well, search the forum for "Drivesort"

It's not very sophisticated :(

The issue with USB is that in the main they are formatted to FAT or FAT32. This has an unfortunate side effect of playing the tracks in the order they were installed to the USB. (FIFO - First in first out)

What DriveSort does is cut/paste all the tracks from the USB to your local HDD, sorts them, usually alphabetically, then copy/paste them back to the USB.

If you want more control over this process then you need to place a number in front of each track to get them into the 'alphabetic' order you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2012 Civic standard Audiosystem does not play the MP3s in the correct order even if I use the Track ID as a file name prefix. :rolleyes:
Does the system accept some kind of playlists?

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
The USB system uses FAT32.

The way to sort the playing list is to first sort the tracks on a PC then copy them in the exact order you want them to play.

I've got my PC tracks as:

01 Album 1
02 Album 2
03 etc (where I add the 01 at the start)

This way they are sorted on the PC and it's a simple matter of using the 'Send To' shell command in the correct order.

Bit of a pain having to clear the USB each time and then reload everything but I don't do it that often.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I recommend that you get a cheap iPod... Or is the storage too small? Just get a really cheap second hand one, even if the screen is broken, it's fine because as long as it can sync, just leave the iPod in the central console. Sure you can get an older generation for around $50 or less.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
That only works, in my experience, if you just have all your tracks in the root. What this software does is the same as a manual delete and reload after having sorted as you say.

I have a dedicated Windows folder with my USB layout in the order I want it.

All I do when I change anything is delete the USB then copy/paste my dedicated folder with it's subfolders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recommend that you get a cheap iPod...
I did as advised and bought a used iPod nano 16GB - it works. Thanks!

Maybe its just my Apple aversion but in my ear it sound that compared to MP3s from a USB Stick especially cymbals and jazzy snare drums (e.g. tube #3MFlBT29pGY) sound a bit like played from a cassette player from the 80's :worms:

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
So an iPod will show far better info on the iMid ?

Currently via USB all you get is Track 02 for example.

Got any pics ?

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts

Looked at iPods and decided the £100 a bit much just to display a bit of track info. In the main I know what the song and artist is because I put it on the UWB in the first place as a favourite track!

Also considered that all I display is the top line as I have the fuel info in the main iMid display.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looked at iPods and decided the £100 a bit much just to display a bit of track info.
Haha I think you forgot that I said this can be a cheap thing...

You don't need a new iPod, even ones that are 5 years old, all they need is a working data connection.

Like this one

Apple iPod nano 3rd Generation Silver (4 GB) faulty button fast free uk dispatch 0885909164660 | eBay

Since you are in the UK, this costs 14.95 pounds, the centre button doesn't work but it is perfect for you to sync your music and leave it plugged into your centre console.

·
Registered
493 Posts
One snag is that I'm about to delete my Ebay account. It seems there is another Ebay flaw that allows people to access anyone's account. Ebay were told Friday, have done nothing about it so a blog has been published.
I think you just need to change your password. People can't access your account anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts