2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Am a proud and (generally) happy 2-day owner of an Australian 09 FN2. I've looked in its thick tome of a manual about this but no info about it so I thought I'd draw on the wisdom of you lot here...

BACKGROUND:
Have a pile of MP3s in the root folder of a USB stick* connected to the sound system. By "in the root folder" I'm meaning that none of the MP3s are in folders, they're just there on the stick.
*it's a generic USB stick, nothing fancy or audio orientated - just data storage.

PROBLEM:
When I connect it up via the supplied USB connector - the car loads it up fine, nice. The problem comes when I stop the car (ie: power down) and restart it (ie: power up) - the car complains that the MP3s are unsupported.
I then have to physically disconnect & reconnect the USB stick to get things pumping again. And it does so at the point where I stopped - all good but why do I have to physically intervene?

Anyone else encountered this? Do I need to get a different type of USB stick (don't see why) or organise my MP3s in another way or use a different digital audio format?

Looking forward to hearing from those in the know - thanks!
Kev

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Three things spring to mind:
1) The USB stick you are using isn't resetting well when you're cranking the engine. Try disconnecting the stick and reconnecting after the engine starts. The first stick I tried did this. I've got a 'posh' Sandisk one now that seems to handle the brown-out during cranking better.

2) The files aren't of a compatible MP3 format. This is less likely, and I think there's a specific message. There's a long list in the manual. DRM is a bit of an issue too.

3) Files in the root are ignored. Not sure about this. I haven't tried it. Stick the files in folders and see what happens.

I hope that helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Skippy,

Thanks for the reply..

Yep..the MP3 files are indeed compatible - they play after all! And it isn't a problem having the files in root..they play there too.

You're right on the money about the "Posh" USB stick factor though. The first one I tried was a freebie - gets an "Unsupported" error message with the engine-induced electrical brown out whereas the second one I tried which I bought resumes (slowly - may be because it has a stack of other non-audio files in it...will have to look into this further).

I wonder if anyone has a technical explanation for why the above occurs?

Thanks for the ideas Skippy.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Cool. Glad you got it working. I think the head unit scans every file to see if it's playable. This might explain why it's slow when there are lots of non-music files on the drive. the scan is in alpha-numeric order by the looks of it.

It does look like some drives are better engineered than others. I would expect that cheaper drives are designed to be 'just good enough' to work with a PC, rather than guaranteed to work with the cut down USB Host implementation used on a car stereo, which may not be perfect either. If I get chance I may hook the supply and data lines up to a scope and see what's happening.

Reactions: KevT

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right

Hey Skippy - yep..I've confirmed that it is indeed an engineering factor with regards to the USB stick. Might be a function of the power requirements of the device?

I hooked up a cheap MP3 player (ie: USB stick with an LCD screen, buttons & headphone socket) to the FN2 & it couldn't recognise any of the MP3s on it. It does work fine in a computer's USB port - I can only assume that it requires more power than even the USB stick which doesn't work with "engine brown out". Perhaps "posh" USB sticks don't require much power to work?

Now to figure out how the headunit handles the play order of the files given that I can't seem to find any information on it working with playlists... :rolleyes:
(http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/28454-usb-playlists-bookmarks.html)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts