2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

There is first snow in Poland this winter! Very well! I can now test my winter tyres and also how VSA and ABS working and.... yes how the front wipers are useless when it's snowing. Just 15 minutes of driving and almost whole wiper is covering tight with a snow and become useless. I have to stop and clean it and now i can drive another 15 minutes. With the classic wiper consruction i have never had that kind of problems...

Anyone have noticed same problem?

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I haven't had problems with snow sticking to the wipers. How cold is was it in Poland?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I would see it for myself if only we had any snow.. Still desperately waiting for the snow..
I am also still desperately waiting for the snow :cool:
Everywhere around the Netherlands is snow (Germany, France, Belgium?) and even in the Netherlands, but not where I am, south of the Netherlands...

So, no, don't know what my wipers will do with the snow...

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I haven't had much problems with snow, but when the air is below -5 the wipers become stiff and don't cover the entire windscreen.

This is quite anoying when you want to wipe away splashes from meeting cars etc.

Here in Norway we use salt to remove ice etc from the roads. The roads then become wet and stays wet even if the temp is very low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I have another fight with snow and wipers. Now we have -5 Celcius degrees and it's snowing all the time. All the snow melts on the windscreen and wipers can clean it well. Unfortunately not whole windscreen is warm. The area where wipers parks is cold and whole water taken from windscreen in return cycle freezes there at only -5 C outside! So it is the reason why snow sticks whole whiper blade and prevents the wipers to work well, thus the icy snow on the wiper scrapes the windscreen especialy in that area where the rain sensor is located (this part of driver wiper blade parks on frozen area) what causes the automatic wipers to run at maximum speed:mad:.
Some solution is to heat at maximum temperature the windscreen but it only help to drivers wiper which is mounted higher. Unfortunately it causes that inside the car is very high temperature.

Very bad solution for that kind of weather...:(

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am also still desperately waiting for the snow :cool:
Everywhere around the Netherlands is snow (Germany, France, Belgium?) and even in the Netherlands, but not where I am, south of the Netherlands...

So, no, don't know what my wipers will do with the snow...
Meino.. I did send some sonow over to you yesterday.. did you not received it yet ;-) ??

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ok we had very heavy snow yesterday here as well, and I must admit at -4 the wiper did not cope very well at all.
It didn't matter that I used pure Antifreeze, the ice just kept stuck to the wipers :mad: , and at one point I had to get out of the car and clean them.
The whole windscreen was smeared and I couldn't see a thing out of them.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I've had a lot of different cars in my time and none of them has coped very well with snow. It compacts and becomes solid. Crikey; you need a hammer and chisel sometimes to shift it!

The joints in standard wiper arms freeze and then won't bend to the curve in the windscreen; thereby missing the centre of the sweep.

Personally, I think the Civic wipers are among the best you can possibly have. [smilie=superkewl.g:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've also had problems with the vipers.. it was abt -3-5 celcius and heavy snowing. The snow melts on the windshield, you have to use the viper.. unfortunately it's cold enough for the snow to ice up on the wiper -> wiper is useless.. thankfully only my right viper did this.. i wasnt very impressed..

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
I'm trying to think of other cars that have a similar design of wipers

Can only think of Peugeot & Seat

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm trying to think of other cars that have a similar design of wipers

Can only think of Peugeot & Seat
I recall seeing somewhere that the Seat ones are crap, so maybe it is down this type of design. The Seat ones are cool the way they stop in the pillar rather than at the bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Seat ones are cool the way they stop in the pillar rather than at the bottom.
The Seat has an option of heated pillars which melts snow gathered by the wipers. Without that snow blocks the wipers from hiding in pillars.
We should have an option of heated bottom of the windscreen where our wipers stops. It's in half-way (for the upper wiper only) attainable when we activate windscreen heating. Not sure if it works when there is lower outside temperature e.g. -10? I doubt it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts